Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-26-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
After a lot of thought and research, it appears that I am going to buy a new boat at the end of the season. Although I still have a couple demo rides to complete this summer, it looks like the X-25 is the winner.

I have never bought a new boat and I will be ordering the X-25 to my exact specifications. Two questions for the Wakeworld crew:

1. What do I need to be aware of when buying a new boat? What features do you feel are good options (motor size, integrated video camera, plug&play ballast, hydraulic steering, surf tabs, trailer upgrades/low profile, board racks, covers, etc.). I will be doing a complete custom stereo (hopefully with G's help) so that is less important at this point.

2. I know this is kinda ghey, but I would like the boat to match my truck which is all white. I do like the look of all white boats but wanted to get people's opinion. I am not sure I LOVE the all white look. What do YOU think is the best color option for a boat?

Any advide and opinions are appreciated.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
The color and options you want you're paying for it not the wakeworld crew.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-26-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Thank you captain obvious. Just looking for some opinions....
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-26-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Yeah what a stupid question to ask!! Its your boat not ours!! Why would you come onto a Wakeboard/Boat forum and ask for peoples advice!! You'd be much better off blowing money on options you dont need and missing ones you do need.

On a serious note I LOVE all white, plus its timeless. As far as options i like to keep it simple, ballast, pp, board racks etc.. You can buy allot of cool stuff aftermarket also. I think allot of MC guys will chime in with specifics... I bet its gonna be awesome whatever you do.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-26-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
I would think you would not have to add much to an X-25. Other than the integrated video camera, if they are not including everything you have listed above then shop around at a different dealer or pick a different boat.... for $80k+ it better be LOADED. And IMO white is a great color, its easy to take care of and has a better resale value because it matches anything.
Old    alanp            05-26-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
i have a mostly white boat. white tends to hide alot of water spots. ballast and cover are essential. other options i wouldnt be interested in and wouldnt pay for them if i were to buy your boat used(i.e. they wouldnt factor into what i would be willing to pay for it) i wouldnt be interested in buying a boat with a huge motor either. this boat is only 21 1/2 ft so im not sure you would even need it.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
I would definitely go with a colored cap (top) In my opinion boats with the white cap look older faster.
But definitely get the surf tabs and extra ballast. Hot water shower is awesome if you plan on using the boat in the winter. Heaters are really nice, but the cores dont last long and have heard they arent worth it.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-26-2010, 9:04 PM Reply   
Musts for me:

LY6 motor, fly high plug and play, perfect pass, bimini, surf tabs, heater, and heated seat

Our heater works great and the heated drivers seat is amazing for those cold morning early season rides. I would have never got the heated seat at first but it came already installed in the boat and now I would never buy one without it. The motor upgrade is amazing especially with extra weight.

Few items that I love:

Multi function remote- water proof and works great for lounging around.
Underwater lights are amazing if you hang out after dark or surf after dark.
Teak platform- can always be made to look good and has been amazing.

The white will be awesome and will always look good. White is easier to keep looking good but I'm a black boat person. In the end it's all up to you and if your gonna buy new get everything you could possibly want.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-26-2010, 11:28 PM Reply   
I love the X-25 also. Here is what I'd do...

Engine: MCX... you just don't need more. And quite frankly, you can't aford it. The engine upgrade is something like $5K. Rediculous. This boat will already cost you north of $80K the way I'm about to show it to you. And that's street price, not MSRP which is over $100K.

Engine Flush Kits: no
Hydraulic Steering: no
Engine Drip Pan: no
Boat Cover: yes
Bimini Cover: yes
Cockpit Cover: no (don't like snaps on my boat)
Tonneau: no (no snaps, please)
High Altitude Prop: no
Attitude Adjustment Plate: yes
Surf Tabs: no (go test them before you invest. i have seen them in action on an X-45 and was not overly impressed)
Z5 Sport Rack: no (haven't seen this on MC... might be convinced to bite)
Tower Camera: yes yes yes (why else have that big dash screen?)
Tower Mirror: yes
Tower Speakers: no. MC charges something like $4K for two pairs. Get Exile which is better.
Tower Lights: no
Plug & Play Ballast: yes
Zero Off Wakeboard: yes (I have this on my boat and could not live w/out)
Compass: no
Sirius Sat Radio: no (all ipod all the time)
Stereo Transom Remote: no (most overrated option. i don't have it and have never wished i did)
Multi Function Remote: no (have it, never use it)
Chart Plotter: uh... pass
Heater: yes
Shower: yes
Freshwater Wash Down: no
Removable Ski Pylon: yes (biggest MC pet peeve is most don't have this)
Binding Blaster: no (shark spray is cheaper and easier)
Teak Walk Over: no
Platform Ladder: no
Underwater lighting: tempting, but no (I don't go out in the dark... but you might)
Heated Seats: yes
Bow Filler Cushion: yes

Walk-Thru Seat: no
Cockpit Table: no
Bow Ladder: yes (this is crucial as it allows entry from front and rear... all pickleforks should have this)Anchor: no
Battery Charger: yes
12V inflator: no
Drop-In Carpet: yes (I thought this was standard...)
Trailer: Low Profile design in white! This will look hawt behind you white tow rig! White trailers are rare!

Here would be my color scheme: I didn't pick all white because I don't think you NEED all white to look good behind a white rig. You just need a big solid white side panel. You can add accents to spice it up. Nothing looks better on MC than red flake!

Also, notice I picked the Switch graphic... I think it is sooo much hotter than the Slider. I don't know why I don't see it more often.

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2010, 11:49 PM Reply   
Ixfe, you have great taste in boats
Old    ScottRobinson            05-27-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
Why would you buy this boat at 80k...? Get an EPIC 2011 23v 4000# stock ballast, 8.1 375HP Merc..... lots more... Anyway my 2 cents....if you have any questions hit me up. I can hook you up. I am not a dealer, but I know the owner of the company so can get you a sick deal. Save you a TON of money and get you a better boat IMO.

Scott
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-28-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
Scott... did the OP ask for opinions on different boats? Also, have you been in an X-25? Have you ridden behind one? I'm not sure you are qualified to say the Epic is a better boat. And coming onto a public forum bragging that you know the owner and can get a sick deal feels a little shady and a lot desperate. We're all glad you like your Epic. Now let phatboypimp be happy about HIS choice in boats.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-28-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Scott whyyyy???? lol - I have an Epic too...but I do like the new X-25, that's a sick package you put together. I would opt for the flush kit - but I have brackish water....

AS for the color match - I bought a black p/up to match my black hull w/white cap. It might be OH SO GHEY - but it looks good on the highway, so I have been told....lol
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-01-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
I appreciate everyone's help. This is very helpful.

IXFE - I apprecate your detail. I really like that color combination. I have printed out a couple different color combinations (including yours) to see how I feel after staring at them. I am favoring switch as well.

I am really struggling with the motor decision. From other discussions I have had the bigger motors are a pig in gas (compared to the motor I have now) but I don't want to end up underpowered either, especially if I sack it out.

I have heard mixed results on the surf tabs.....anyone have specific experience with MC surf tabs? I love to surf, so this will be an important decision for me.

Any downsides to low-profile trailer option? ride or control issues? I know tires are a hell of a lot more expensive lol.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-01-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
That's gonna be a sick boat for sure.I'm sure you'll love whatever color combo you get.

I got a boat with one of those dreaded 8.1L. I wondered if I would regret it. I have to say, I'll never get another boat WITHOUT one. It does take a little more gas, but it's worth every extra penny. It doesn't matter how much weight you put in it, it jumps out of the hole and runs.

Whatever options you get, you won't regret an engine upgrade,
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-01-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
I would go with minimal options. You are going to get less then 25% of the value you pay on options. If the MCX works well in the boat then I wouldn't splurge for the LY6. The only options I would get are the MCX(unless you are going to be running 3k+ in the boat most of the time), plug and play, heater, shower(maybe), tower mirror arm, bimini, cover(I would actually have a custom sunbrella one made instead of the cheap sharkskin one's that mastercraft uses), trim tab and zero off. I would order it with just the single battery and have whoever does the stereo set you up with a good battery system and charger.

Also, I say go all white. Just look at this boat that is for sale in the classifieds. It is dead sexy, classy and timeless.

Last edited by polarbill; 06-01-2010 at 1:01 PM.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-01-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I know that Sanger tried the surf tabs and did not have much success. I also know that some guys on Centurion Crew have tried the surf tabs with limited success as well. I dont think you need a big motor to surf if you run the right prop (I run a Centurion Avalanche with 2,500lbs plus people with a 330hp engine and have no problems getting it out of the water. The upgraded prop does hurt your top end but I dont go running across the lake anyway.)

I think the X25 is a great looking boat and would love to see the surf wake (I believe the hull is fairly close to the Avalanche). It is just hard for me to get over the $80K price tag for a 22ft boat.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-01-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Joe- If you buy a new boat you'll have to get one without the 8.1L since they're not making it anymore.

We had the MCX in our last xstar and it was great and as long as you reprop and don't mind taking a litlle longer to plane out you can run 4,000lbs all you want. We just love the LY6. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
What do you think about the mocha interior? Been playing around with the interior trim, not sure I love this combination yet.
Attached Images

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-02-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
I like it on the MB's. I am sure it would look good on the MC.
Attached Images

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
That looks nice, especially with the black.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
If resale value carries any weight with any of the choices you'll make....well then I would probably stay away from the mocha interior. It just might turn off some perspective buyers if you end up selling sometime down the rode. I think it's a love it or hate interior color. If that bears no weight, and you like it......go for it.
Old     (makindue)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-03-2010, 4:56 AM Reply   
I think white color of you boat and truck will not treat you as gay. It is really looks good for me.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-03-2010, 5:32 AM Reply   
Get a color combo like the one that ixfe posted. Get a decal shop to match your truck to the boat.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-03-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
I love the white outside that you set up Phat but DBC's interior speaks to me! His hull color scheme is pretty sexy too!
Old    mojo            07-03-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
mcx motor and go ahead buy a better pitched prop. i'tll give you all the power you need. have you test driven a nautique? the 230 would be a wonderful choice. assuming this is the boat you want, get a heater. ups the resale for nationwide. tandem trailer, spare tire, and get as much white interior as you can. or else you'll be burning your feet al the time.