Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-30-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
I was looking at those truck bed tents, then thought hell why not step it up a notch. Anyone have experience with one of these pop-up truck bed campers!? Seems like the most convenient/cheapest set-up aside from sleeping on the ground. We did alot of tent camping last summer, and unfortunately I have one of those "prissy too good to sleep on the ground" girlfriends, LOL. It's always a battle to get her in a tent for any extended period of time, and I think this would be just enough to keep her happy and my wallet as well! How big of a pain are they to put in/strap down?? Pretty sure my 252k mile 1500 Silverado is not going to be happy w/me adding more weight...but at only around ~1400lbs it souldn't be toooo bad...? Hmm maybe that will be my excuse to finally swap in a fresh 6.0….

Here's a nice one on FleaBay for 8k...I would try to find one used for half this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/116-M...7a0ebd75#v4-35
Attached Images

Last edited by NotSure123; 01-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-30-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
I have a buddy who has one for a full 8foot long bed. I will tell you they are small inside. Much better than a tent I suppose if there's just 2 of you, but they are small inside. Have you taken a look at one in person. They go in and out pretty quick and easy once you get the hardware plates set up on your truck. The quality of the jacks makes a difference and how easy/quick it is in and out.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-30-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
For 8k you can get a pretty decent camper that would be a lot bigger.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-30-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
But that might be an issue if he needs to tow the boat as well. Always the problem we had when camping, would have loved a camper, but always needed to tow the boat.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-30-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
I have a travel trailer we store at the lake for the summer / fall. then tow the boat to the lake, drop it, and go get the trailer setup, then launch the boat....... Little bit of work switching trailers, but it beats trying to tow a boat and a trailer everytime to the lake ( 3 hours away ) seems to work for us, and with a trailer, there's much more room... 8K would buy a real nice used trailer too....
good luck
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-30-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
@ RB- Yes it will only be for the 2 of us, everyone else can fin for themselves! I keep my boat stored .5 miles from the lake, I just envisioned this as being the easiest most convenient option. I can leave it in my backyard w/no additional storage costs, load it into my truck the night before, and can pick up the boat on the way to the lake. I would love to have a pull behind camper but I don't think I want to play the whole musical boat/camper thing. I'm all about convenience! Also we change lakes on occasion, and I know my 5.3 couldn't handle pulling both at once! Plus I think you need a 5th wheel to be legal anyways...? But no I haven't looked at one yet this is a very recent idea...

@ Paul- Oooo I don't plan on spending 8k...that was just a visual...if I decide to go this route (in the air right now) I would try to stay less than 4-5k...

The things we do to keep women happy!

Last edited by NotSure123; 01-30-2013 at 4:09 PM.
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-30-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
Maybe i'll let the lady decide between the two....
Attached Images

Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-30-2013, 8:03 PM Reply   
My Dad and Mom had a Jayco popup truck camper they got a lot of use out of before they upgraded to a travel trailer. Too bad you don't live in Eastern WA I think my Dad still has it and would probably let you have it for free.

Downsides were no grey water tank for water discharge. It had a plastic bag the sink drained into. And no toilet and black water tank, it had a spot for you to put a porta potty but it wouldn't hold much, although you would probably only use it at night anyways. When you park you will need to level your truck by stacking plastic things under 3 of your wheels.

Upsides working fridge, furnace, stove/oven and hot water heater all powered by propane. Cab overhead bed is comfortable and pretty specious. I believe there was a second bunk that would fold out over the table. Because it folds down you aren't pushing a lot of air when driving. Raising the roof wasn't too bad and could be done under 5 minutes. I don't think they could go in the camper unless it was in the truck bed.

I think it will be great for you and your girl. You will need to do something electrical to the truck as you will be charging off the truck and you need to be able to disconnect from the truck battery when camping. I think there were was a dedicated battery for the camper. You also need to add some braces to your truck to bolt the camper to.

This looks like what my parents had: http://blog.omnux.com/index.php/2006...-truck-camper/

Pickup a Honda EU1000 or EU2000 generator and a cheap TV/DVD combo unit and you can watch movies all night long and charge your battery.

Another big advantage other the Tent is you are able to stock your camper with paper plates, plastic forks and spoons, and other things. When you go camping you won't have this big list of things you need to load into your truck and you won't need to buy ice all the time and can cook without starting a fire.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-31-2013, 6:20 PM Reply   
Just use a regular topper from Leer or ARB. Can get nice ones of those for $2k. I camp in ours all the time with the kids. Plus you can get lazy and keep things in the back of the truck.