Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-15-2013, 5:31 AM Reply   
So I was originally thinking about getting some Rockford 8" tower speakers but they hang about 11" down from the bottom of the tower. On my boat I only have about 7-8" from the tower to the top of my head (I am 5'11") I can either stick with the 8" and have them at eye level when standing, get 6.5" tower speakers which hang 9", mount them up top and avoid any head collision at all or try to find a speaker that doesn't hang as low. what would you do? do most speakers hang at eye level?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-15-2013, 5:38 AM Reply   
You can take a look at the ICON 8 or REV 8. Both are 8 inch drivers with around 9 inch hang height. They are in the same size housing as our PRO 60 6.5 inch tower speaker. So you get the small size and less hang height usually found on 6.5 inch, but with 8 inch drivers.

You could even go with the REV 10. 10 inch driver and be about the same height as the other 8 inch. Slightly over 11. The dual 10, REV 410 is right at 11.

You can see diagrams on our site. Some have cut round discs out of cardboard and hung them on their tower to get a visual of exactly how it will fit and then you can make the call.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2013, 6:07 AM Reply   
Ryan,

I've owned a bunch of different sets of wetsounds speakers. One thing I can say is that Wetsounds has done a great job of minimizing hang height. When you are considering headroom, and are comparing tower speakers, make sure to factor in how the manufacturer's clamp system will affect how far from the tower the speaker itself will be. Wetsounds' tower speakers really do suck up tight against the tower itself.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
These are a pair of Rev 410's that I had mounted on an old boat of mine. They are one of the largest tower speaker enclosures on the market. Notice how tight they are to the top tower cross bar. Wetsound's clamp design really does help with headroom.
Attached Images

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-15-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
I would love to get the Icon 8 speakers, but currently more than I want to spend on them as I can find deals on Rockford.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
What's your budget?
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-15-2013, 7:31 AM Reply   
i was hoping to get an amp and speakers for under 800
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-15-2013, 7:39 AM Reply   
700 bucks for wetsounds pro 80s at earmark... maybe swing an amp to push em for 150-200
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-16-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
The op is worried about hang height. The Rev series def kills it with their small housings and low hang heights.

However the pro 80's are humongous on the tower. The def do not have a low clearance. While sounds wise and deal wise right now pretty easy to come by. Check their hang height specs.

If you are looking to get sound to the rider there is NO CHEAP way to do it. You will end up spending double on gear when you go the cheap route. Because you will be unhappy with the cheaper stuff and then be out that cash when you upgrade. If you are just looking for sounds around the boat while swimming the a decent 6.5 coax will do. The best in between solution used to be the Bullet Hollowpoint 6.5 HLCD or the Krypt 6.5 HLCD in a DIY wake can. Low mount not a lot of real estate and with 150-200 watts of clean rms power you can get sound back there for sure. But used prices on pro 80's are pretty close to those new 6.5 HLCD's. so it's a tough call. What kind of boat/ tower setup you working with? If you mount them way out in the corners it can be negligible. However some towers won't let you do that . You can also reverse mount them on the top of the tower I have seen it a couple times. Some boats look ok with it some don't
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-16-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
Ya I have considered mounting on top, but I know I prefer them below or in the corners. The boat is an 18' Searay with a Wakeworks G300 Tower (same as aerial Airborne Tower) I really am just trying to add some decent sound in and around the boat while underway and hanging around the back. I can try to get some pictures tonight. I would go 6.5" if I need to but feel the 8" would give me a better sound with more mid bass.