Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-19-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
I'm from California, and our state does not have a Boating License requirement yet, but you still can take the State of California Boating License if you like, with some insurance companies passing it will get you a discount.

Test Here:
http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/

My question is I passed the California exam (took like 6 hours, not hard but lots of video you have to review in order to be permitted to take the test portion), is that valid in Oregon. Oregon as I understand it requires all boats with more then 10hp require an Oregon Boaters licenses to drive. My cousin took the Oregon test and it and it was a very short test (~30 minutes) to take so I know it cannot be more difficult then the 6 hour California exam. Also the tests are provided by the same website so the material is the same, just not as much of it.

Thanks
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-19-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
Not sure if you need one to boat here since you are out of state, but I can tell you I have had my boaters license for 10 years in Oregon and I am not sure I have ever been asked for it when we are stopped by the authorities. Probably a good idea to get one if you are going to boat here often, but I would not think you would get in trouble without one.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-19-2015, 8:29 PM Reply   
30 min I wish!!! I was 2 or 3 nights and about 6+ hours. Just plain silly. That was 4 years ago and also 2 years ago for my wife.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-19-2015, 8:56 PM Reply   
The first few years after they passed the law it was really quick and easy - a short multiple choice quiz. It's really long and painful now.
Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-20-2015, 11:12 AM Reply   
Sounds like the Oregon test is like the California test. Took me a couple of nights as well 6+ hours. Covered power boats(Outboard, I/O, Inboard, jet boats) PWCs, sailboats, night driving/lights, use of locks on canals, driving in fog, docking in currents/wind, rope tying, right of ways, marker/buoy numbering and tons more.

Thanks,
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-20-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
So, the course I found for the CA boater's license is NASBLA approved. so you should have reciprocity.

Quote:
All states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)
I've been asked for my boater's license in WA.