Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-14-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
my 16 year old, hot shot volleyball libero, collided with another player while diving for a ball yesterday.
She complained of being popped in the nose, hit in the neck and shoulder. She sat out a few points and then went back on the court to rally her teammates to victory (but not winning the match).

She played so well after the "hit", that other coaches sitting around me were commenting on how they wished they had a defensive player with her skill and toughness.

I was very proud

But

It might not have been the best move

last night she developed some of the classic symptoms: massive headache, sensitive to light and noise, threw up several times, dizzy, weak......

It was a long night.....

we do have an appointment later today at the Ben Hogan Concussion clinic in Ft Worth.

last year it was the ACL, now this. Good thing volleyball isn't a contact sport.....
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-14-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
Every sport can at some point be a contact sport. Concussions are never to be takin lightly and definitley follow up with this. I had my 3rd about 3 years ago and went through a 6 month recovery. Wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to ride again or have to confidence to step on a boat as weeks after the injury I started feeling like I was going to have siezures. My incident was much different as I hit my temple and did nerve damage but regardless it was the scariest time of my life and having now made a full recovery I don't take my head for granted. Best of luck at the clinic and best thing you can do is just rest and heal but always check on here while shes napping or sleeping.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-14-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
Ive had 4 diagnosed known cases of concussion throughout my life. It can be a very long recovery period. Its def affected my mindset when riding.

Wish her the best and I hope she doesnt do what Ive done and fakes being perfectly fine just to get back out there.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-14-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Tough news, Cliff. Sending positive thoughts her way for a speedy and full recovery.

A kid on my sons hockey team, been an alternate captain since he was a soph, had his third concussion in approx. 16 months(February '11, June '11 & June '12). He was(is?) still having PCS well into the start of this season and the decision was made that he is done. He had to hang up the skates without every taking the ice his senior year. It has really made me rethink my thoughts on "getting dinged." I don't think you can be too cautious with kids and their brains.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-14-2013, 11:46 AM Reply   
I'm sure the doc will give you good advice. If it is a concussion I heard that you should not engage in mental activities for a while. IOW skip the homework and studying. That probably includes reading, tv, and surfing the web. I would imagine that the doctor would provide a note to school for a time frame.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-14-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
I've had three concussions, one of them was pretty bad. I ended up with some bad vision problems afterwards. Need to do what's called vision therapy where you retrain your body on how to see and track moving objects. Something to think about if she has headaches post recovery. Basically I could not track an object getting closer to my eyes and the image would double at a distance much further than expected. Took about 4 to 6 months of exercises to straighten things out.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-16-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
my 16 year old, hot shot volleyball libero, collided with another player while diving for a ball yesterday.
She complained of being popped in the nose, hit in the neck and shoulder. She sat out a few points and then went back on the court to rally her teammates to victory (but not winning the match).

She played so well after the "hit", that other coaches sitting around me were commenting on how they wished they had a defensive player with her skill and toughness.

I was very proud

But

It might not have been the best move

last night she developed some of the classic symptoms: massive headache, sensitive to light and noise, threw up several times, dizzy, weak......

It was a long night.....

we do have an appointment later today at the Ben Hogan Concussion clinic in Ft Worth.

last year it was the ACL, now this. Good thing volleyball isn't a contact sport.....
What was the outcome? How is she doing a few days later?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-16-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
thanks for all of the concern and support guys. This community is fantastic!

Apparently, two years ago as a freshman, she took a concussion benchmark test. Her scores the other day, were spot on compared to that benchmark.
She did have some dizziness and light sensitivity but the vomiting was what worried the doctors the most.

Like John said, she was put on a bunch of restrictions. No computer, no tv, no texting, reading, and certainly no sports

She is pretty bummed that she can't play in the big tournament in San Antonio this weekend, but the most difficult thing for her is the no reading.

She is ranked 25th out of about 750 and really wants to break into the top 20 before she graduates. She hates missing class and using someone else's notes. Some classes put reviews on-line, and she can't be on the computer.

She was allowed to go to school a half day today. I guess we will see if that gives her a headache or any other symptoms. They want her to be symptom free for 48 hours before they will release her to play again. Even then, there is some sort of gradual introduction back into training that they insist on.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-16-2013, 7:14 PM Reply   
Good to hear she is doing better, Cliff. Hope her progress continues AND she gets into the top 20, before the end of the year!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-18-2013, 5:51 PM Reply   
My daughter went for a full day of school today. She didn't experience any symptoms!!

I feel pretty positive that her doctors appointment Monday, will go well, and she will be released to play again.

She also got her report card today and discovered that she is now ranked 21st in her class

Woo hoo
A good day all of the way around, I'd say.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-18-2013, 6:09 PM Reply   
Thats great to hear!! Out of 806 people in my class I sure as heck wasnt #21 lol
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-18-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
That's awesome Cliff congrats to you and to her!