Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2016, 8:34 AM Reply   
Hey I wondering if any of you knew of a Remote Perko style switch. Like a Master OFF switch that can be turned on or off at the Dash. This is my dilemma. The family pontoon boat has a Pergo switch under the engine cover . But for some reason it's too hard for the family to flip up the engine cover and simply turn the or they simply forget to turn off the master switch to prevent battery drain I was hoping there was some magical product out there that had a dash mounted switch that would somehow disconnect or work as a master off .

I saw this on the shelf at West Marine and it made me think that there may be another product like it obviously this one is not what I'm looking for but thought it might give you some ideas .
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-20-2016, 9:05 AM Reply   
couldn't you go old school and use one of those big ford solenoids that people use as separators?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-20-2016, 9:47 AM Reply   
G - Nautiques have the master switch under the throttle. Doesn't yours have it?
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2016, 10:19 AM Reply   
Yes my nautique has that. But that's a 12v acc switch master shuts everything down
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2016, 10:20 AM Reply   
Shawn that's a good Idea a continus use heavy duty solonoid
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-20-2016, 10:24 AM Reply   
Any switch you want with a PAC200 solenoid for example. Or, if you use a battery charger whenever in storage, use an AC-triggered relay to automatically trip off the solenoid when you plug in the AC cord (no switch required).
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-20-2016, 11:37 AM Reply   
G I am 99% sure I have one in my parts box that's yours for the price of shipping over the hill. Lemme know if you are interested and I'll check tonight.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2016, 1:28 PM Reply   
Hey that's a great offer thank you very much.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-20-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
yep big solenoid is all ya need. of course now you have 2 switches, good luck with them keeping that straight!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-20-2016, 10:02 PM Reply   
I love this discussion! Perko's are hidden and at times difficult to get to. Master switch to my dash out be awesome!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2016, 7:45 AM Reply   
Funny I have been thinking of the same thing for my MB.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-21-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
how are you guys wiring these? leave perko on 1 and put solenoid between perko and everything else?

got a pac 200 laying around, I'd like to wire up
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2016, 8:52 AM Reply   
Not exactly sure what the parts are or how much you would have to buy to integrate it to the pontoon. But pavati has the garmin control system that controls the switches and can be accessed via phone.
Watch around the minute mark.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
I'm really surprised with all the good idea's the Pavati has in it.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
Found them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...battery+switch
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-21-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
how are you guys wiring these? leave perko on 1 and put solenoid between perko and everything else?

got a pac 200 laying around, I'd like to wire up
I think I'd put the solenoid on the common post and then wire everything that's on the common post to the other side of the solenoid. So the batteries are always connected to the switch but "everything else" is disconnected when the solenoid is open.

You'd obviously need to to a direct-to-battery run to wire up the on-off switch that you'd use to energize the solenoid.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-21-2016, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I think I'd put the solenoid on the common post and then wire everything that's on the common post to the other side of the solenoid. So the batteries are always connected to the switch but "everything else" is disconnected when the solenoid is open.

You'd obviously need to to a direct-to-battery run to wire up the on-off switch that you'd use to energize the solenoid.
that makes a lot more sense. thanks doggy
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-21-2016, 9:39 AM Reply   
Cowwboy those are cool. seems like a million things could go wrong with them in a marine environment, but cool indeed.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-24-2016, 3:39 PM Reply   
Why not use one of these? I've had one on my boat for the last 6 years and had zero problems. The best part is you can simply forget it's even there.. You don't have to remember to flick a switch or turn a key when you park the boat - It's all automatic.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/761...12_24V_DC_120A
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-24-2016, 7:41 PM Reply   
An ACR will not turn off the constant power to the electrical system. It simply distributes the voltage/current from the alternator to a bank of batteries
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-25-2016, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnfightsvn View Post
An ACR will not turn off the constant power to the electrical system. It simply distributes the voltage/current from the alternator to a bank of batteries
I misread the original post.... I took it to mean the problem was with isolating power while the boat is in use... Not while in storage.

How much drain do you see while stored for a week or two?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2016, 10:56 AM Reply   
I think the Use of a heavy duty solonoid with a simple dash mounted switch will do the trick. Keep it simple. 1 switch on the dash turns everything off and on. Only down side is the possable loss of presets on the Headunit
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
Who listens to the radio anymore LOL!!!!!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-25-2016, 2:47 PM Reply   
New head unit with EEPROM memory will cure that
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2016, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I think the Use of a heavy duty solonoid with a simple dash mounted switch will do the trick. Keep it simple. 1 switch on the dash turns everything off and on. Only down side is the possable loss of presets on the Headunit
Run your 12v mem to your bass batt bank brah
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-27-2016, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Hey that's a great offer thank you very much.
Grant I finally looked through my spares box last night and it looks like I must have tossed the relay when I moved last year. My bad.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2016, 10:37 AM Reply   
Shawn; no problem thoes solonoids and not that much, but that's tanks for the offer