Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2016, 11:00 PM Reply   
So I'm going to sell my 98 2200v. I am military and bought it in WA state in 2009. I have a Washington title. I have since moved to Louisiana and then to Colorado. Been here for 3 years.

Should I have gotten a Colorado title when I moved here? The boat is registered in Colorado, I just don't have a Colorado title. And my trailer has Louisiana title and played good until 2017. I don't remember doing anything special. I think Louisiana just sent me a title when I registered the trailer there. I did not register the boat in Louisiana because it was easier to just register it in WA....which I could do because I am military.

So when the guy comes to pick it up Saturday, can I just sign over the WA title to him? BTW, he lives in AZ.

Or do I need to contact the DMV here and get s Colorado title.
Old     (JR_88)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-10-2016, 5:01 AM Reply   
You should be fine signing over your existing title and completing a bill of sale for both the boat and trailer separately. I recently had to register a boat trailer that had not been registered whatsoever in many years. Each state has their own process I'm sure but for me it involved calling local police [non-emergency] and them performing a vin check on the trailer. They sign the document, bring it to the tag office with the bill of sale, pay your fee and off you go. Provide them with all the documentation you have. Have the buyer check with his state requirements on both that way he can request whatever supporting docs he may need and give you time to get those if possible. The state wants to see chain of ownership so if it's been you over several states, the bill of sale and the original title should do it.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-10-2016, 5:08 AM Reply   
The trailer will be state specific. Not all states (Ohio for example) title trailers....

Boat wise if you have title in hand it won't matter where the title was issued from as long as there aren't any lien holders still on the title....he/she will take the signed over title to his/her DMV and they will issue new registration based on the title...
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2016, 6:41 AM Reply   
It will always help the New boat owner if the you separate the price of the trailer and the price of the boat in the bill of sale. In NC they need this information when you go to register the trailer. So they know how much to tax you for the trailer!!!!!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2016, 8:08 AM Reply   
Colorado doesn't issue titles on water craft, only on the trailer. I had a similar situation. I bought my first boat in Utah and it came with a title. When I went to register it, the Colorado folks told me to shred the title that it didn't make a difference in our state. I sold the boat to another Colorado resident and the only thing that transferred over was the title to the trailer. If AZ has titles, I guess you could sign it over to them but otherwise, I think the new owner would just apply for a title in AZ if they have them.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2016, 8:11 AM Reply   
Also, on your bill of sale, you can "help" the new owner by creating a bill of sale that has the boat/trailer separated out but put a final purchase price and let them fill in the blanks on the trailer/boat purchase price. In Colorado for example, my trailer magically became very cheap once I found out that I only needed to pay sales tax on the purchase price of the trailer.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-10-2016, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Also, on your bill of sale, you can "help" the new owner by creating a bill of sale that has the boat/trailer separated out but put a final purchase price and let them fill in the blanks on the trailer/boat purchase price. In Colorado for example, my trailer magically became very cheap once I found out that I only needed to pay sales tax on the purchase price of the trailer.
See Ohio is the opposite.....you pay sales tax on the boat price and nothing on the trailer...Still helps to separate out the two because the trailer can then become a VERY expensive trailer to reduce your tax exposure on the boat