Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-23-2010, 10:40 PM Reply   
Any suggestions for a good beginner board for someone who has never tried wakeskating? 6'1", 195 lbs, wakeboard on a 142. Wakeskating looks like a great sport, looking to pick up a board this year and start riding.

Looks like you can wear regular board shoes (Vans?).

Any input appreciated...
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-23-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
I wear Vans and love them.

go on wakeskating,com and pick up a used concave skate between 39-41" and have a good time. everything about wakeskating is personal preference so you will figure out what you like and dont by trial and error.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-23-2010, 11:06 PM Reply   
What speed are you guys getting towed at while wakeskating? I wakeboard at 22 mph.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-23-2010, 11:20 PM Reply   
21-22 behind a boat
23-24 behind a jet ski
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-24-2010, 12:29 AM Reply   
I ride at about 22 behind everything, Ride a 40" board, and wear Fox Ando shoes. You don't need wakeskate specific shoes, but regular skate shoes will be heavy, especially ones with a big tongue and thick cushiony sides. Pic up a cheaper skate, and wear shoes. Trust me, shoes make everything easier.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
I am a little confused on the boards, are they all pretty comparable? Is size really the only difference??? I have found a couple on sale in the 40-41" range, one is a CWB and the other is a hyperlite, would either work for a beginner? Is there a particular brand that is better for a beginner? I also found a couple in the 45" range, is this too large?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
should look for a board by a wakeskate company not a wakeboard company.

there are so many variables with wakeskates. like concave shape, wood and composite, standard concaves and bilevels. thats why i suggest just buying a decently priced used wakeskate on wakeskating.com. you arent going to know what you want yet. wakeskates are completely different from wakeboards.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
its a little on the big side at 42" but for $110 its a great deal on an amazing skate.
http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29481

and there is a pretty much brand new Integrity Team 40.23 for only $270 shipped
http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29441

(Message edited by wakemitch on January 24, 2010)

(Message edited by wakemitch on January 24, 2010)
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
What are some name brands of wakeskate manufacturers? Byerly, gator? Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Any good store recommendations for purchasing a new board? I have checked evogear and proboardshop and it appears they have some good deals on '09 models.

(Message edited by fman on January 24, 2010)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
byerly and gator both make wakeboards.

Oak
New
Remote
Sattelyte
Integrity
Mutiny
Devotid
Verge
Goodwood
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Where is a good online distributor for these wakeskates? Every place I check does not carry any of them other than Hyperlite, CWB, etc...
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Besides Integrity, most of the wakeskates dont come out til spring.

Most shops only carry wakeboard brands. The obscura decks and some of the new byerly decks are pretty good, but only the 2010s.

another wakeskate brand i forgot was Arson.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-24-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Travis-go down to The Liquid Playground and talk to Austin. he is always on the upside of wakeskating and is a bigger fan of skating than wakeboarding. he carries Integrity flat decks and team decks as well as the higher quality LF decks and gives free demos to skaters because it is personal preference like Mitch said. Mitch can back me and tell you that Austin will not be happy til you are happy on a wakeskate. and the prices are great. the shop is in San Jose off of Montegue Expressway on Otoole ave. 2144. give the shop a call before hand because it is winter time and there is select days out of the week he is down there. Hope everything turns out great and you get that skate you are looking for! Its super fun and havent met 1 person who doesnt like it.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-24-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
http://www.theliquidplayground.com/

almost forgot lol
Old     (overstreet31)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-24-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
i have a few different skates for sale on ws.com....extremely cheap. Let me know if you are interested in any of them.

http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27374
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-24-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
No offense Mitch, but I wouldn't completely avoid companies that sell wakeboards as well. Nike sells Basketball and Soccer Cleats but a ton of wakeskaters wear their skate shoes (including wakeskate specific brand riders).
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2010, 9:36 PM Reply   
Caleb, i know. From past experience the decks from wakebnoard companies are either whack designs or they dont last. I loved the sst but they didnt last, the 2010s have some new reinforced inserts so hopefully that helps. and the Obscura wood concaves are heavy as hell, super beefy, so they might last longer. and hyperlite's composite decks besides the old byerly/catalyst 2.0 have been awkward shapes. I did try the new Byerly rival 39 and i think it is a huge step up for the byerly decks. The CWB onset for 2009 was just funky and disinigrated. I will say that the Roniz Zariel is a solid skate that rides great and lasts forever.

Its would just be nice to see wakeboard companies putting more effort into their skate line instead of what has been coming out. They all seem to be stepping up for 2010 since the big 3 are now offering simple wood concaves. lets just hope the sealant works.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
What about this board? I can get it shipped to my house for $125, it got some good reviews from people who are riding it. Has a nice concave deck and optional removeable fin. Just looking for something to get started on and have fun with on the boat.

http://www.evogear.com/outlet/wakeskates/cwb-onset-wakeskate-2009.aspx
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
Travis, i think that board will make it harder to learn how to wakeskate. i tried that board this past summer and had a bunch of people even first timers on it and no one liked it. your feet dont even touch the side concave and the kicktails are so steep you cant use them unless you want to wheelie across the water. the top deck also cracks and chips just from normal riding.
the 2010 Onset is supposed to be much stronger.

the easiest route to go with is buy a cheap Hyperlite Scape 107 or Liquid Force Faction 40" or 42". They are flat decks and a good way to get the feel for wakeskating for $100 or less. Just peel off the foam and grip it like a skateboard.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
ive ridden a handful of different wakeskates from flat decks, to bilevels, and my favorite (besides mitch's 38" TNT) was the liquid force faction, its actually a pretty dope board considering how cheap it is, i paid 110$ for mine INCLUDING removing the foam and putting grip tape on it. its great when you like a board that cost you a little over 100$ more then ones that cost 200-350$
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-25-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
I just ordered the Liquid Force Faction for $99 at evogear, hopefully this will be a good started board for our boat. Thanks again for all the feedback, it is much appreciated.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
right on travis, are you planning on putting grip tape on it? if so, i highly recommend using a heat gun from the start, i tried to just peel it, and it ended up taking me over 2 hours to do the first half, and the second half i used a heat gun, and it just took a few min.
have a good time man.