Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BenH)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-07-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice you all could provide regarding the Delta. I live in San Jose and plan to store my boat at the Delta and use it for boarding about once a month, conditions permitting, during this Fall, Winter, and early Spring. So, I am looking for a good place to store the boat (preferably with valet service) that is near good wakeboarding water. The shorter my car drive to get there the better, so I was thinking the south Delta.

In researching the options on the internet, it seems like the Discovery Bay Yacht Harbor and the Whiskey Slough Marina are my best bets. Whiskey Slough is about a 10 minute farther drive but it has indoor boat storage; Disco Bay is covered outdoor and the trailer is completely outdoor.

Do any of you know how far it is to fast water from either of these launch points?
Also, is one area better than the other for wakeboarding?
Finally, are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Ben
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-07-2014, 2:42 PM Reply   
i have my boat at Disco Bay and couldn't be happier.

I don't know what to say about whiskey slough, as i havent been there. I did have my boat at Bethel Harbor for a while before Disco Bay, and it was indoor storage. The indoor is kinda nicer i guess, but it still got bugs (spiders mosly) and bird nests on the boat when you dont use often. It was a little cleaner to have it indoor, but disco bay is still covered and the pros of disco bay over bethel harbor outweighed the larger amounts of spiders at disco bay for me. i just bring a handheld vacuum to disco and five minutes of sucking those guys up isnt a big deal.
if you have a good cover i dont see this being a big deal though... my cover doesnt quite fit right and is a little holey. some other guys that put their boat on the racks take their covers off and it's pretty clean of pests inside.

bethel harbor was about 15 min further for me (also in san jose!) and the quicker drive, even if just a few minutes, was nice. also nice riding areas were further from bethel harbor. (again, cant say for whiskey slough.) Disco bay has some good riding areas right around the corner.

the price difference was kind of large between disco bay and bethel ($60 difference a month during summer, or $90 difference a month during winter, as disco bay charges less in winter months), although at disco bay you have to pay $10 each time you launch so if you go out often in a month it evens out. bethel did not charge to launch.

both disco bay and bethel had trailer storage. both outdoors. bethel's storage was included in the price, disco bay is an added fee. i keep my trailer at home. covered with a tarp. i dont really know, but i would assume whiskey slough trailer storage would also be outdoors.

disco bay has kind of a long 5mph zone, which is a small down point. i havent actually timed it, but its about 8 to 15 minutes or so i think to fast water.

the vibe there at disco bay is great though. the workers are great, friendly, super helpful, and quick. i guess the same could be said for bethel though.

it's easy to do maintenance at disco bay as they have a rack they will put your boat on for you to do maintenance, or if you need to have an outside company do it (for bigger work, or for even the small stuff) there are lots of companies in the area that will go to your boat at disco bay for service, so you don't have to bring it to them. (you still have to pay the $10 launch fee though)

bethel had an onsite fixer upper guy, but he only did small stuff. might be something to consider with whiskey slough.

there was a little bit of a waiting list for me at disco bay, none at bethel harbor. but i have a 23 footer and they have limited spaces for larger boats at disco bay. guess if you have something smaller there might not be a wait.

also at disco bay you have to put your tower down at the end of the day for most boats, as their storage is kinda tight. didnt have to do that at bethel harbor. not the end of the world, but not a plus i guess.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-08-2014, 6:44 AM Reply   
I store at Orwood. My good friend stores at Whiskey. It is inside storage on a rack. They launch and retrieve for you. Your boat is stored on your trailer in their rack system. Cost I dont know about.
Old     (BenH)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-08-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. Don, do you think your friend that stores at Whiskey would be willing to answer a few other questions via phone or e-mail. Thanks, Ben
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-08-2014, 12:29 PM Reply   
Yeah, he would be willing.

Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll get a hold of you today. I was in the exact same boat (haha) as you when I was looking at where to store mine. I do need to know if you plan on tubing with your boat at all, as that will change my recommendation slightly. LOL
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Hey Ben, there are at least (3) of us riders that store at Whiskey. I have been riding there for 20 years and currently store my MB here. I think it is $179/month and includes like 8 launches a month. They do a ok job at cleaning the boat when it comes out of the water as part of the contract, but most of us handle the cleanings are self. Staff is nice and lives on the premises. The three of us launch WAY more than 6 times a month and never had an issue though
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
There is no gas at whiskey and the restaurant is only open some times in the year. The Hyasin typically locks us out in the middle of September.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-09-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
there is gas at both bethel and disco.
disco charges $120 a month during summer and $90 a month during winter, plus $10 launch, plus $omething for trailer storage.
bethel is $180 a month unlimited launch. free trailer storage.

another thing to consider is what time they close/ dont put your boat back up.

i cant remember off the top of my head... i think disco is like 7 or something. but if you get back after that there is a dock you can tie up on over night and they put it back up in the morning. you just dont get to clean your boat, and they dont clean it for you.

G
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-09-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
Get a private unit at Orwood. $220 a month. No one touches your boat but you.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-09-2014, 1:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Get a private unit at Orwood. $220 a month. No one touches your boat but you.
Plus you don't have to worry about your gear and can gas yourself in Disco when you don't wanna pay marina prices.

Last edited by Shawn; 10-09-2014 at 1:41 PM.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-09-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
Matt Steele, you have quite the profile pic. It looks like you wakeboard in the Panama Canal.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-09-2014, 3:01 PM Reply   
Love Orwood
Attached Images

Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-09-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by john211 View Post
Matt Steele, you have quite the profile pic. It looks like you wakeboard in the Panama Canal.

Haha I had forgotten about that! California Delta (Old River) and swear to God is an actual and unaltered pic...actually is a screen grab from video. Funny thing is I was just riding away and had no idea they were both back there until right after this my wife finally got my attention and pointed behind me.

Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-10-2014, 7:07 AM Reply   
I was hoping Matt would chime in. I store at Orwood. Like said and pictured above. Nobody touches your boat but you. I love Orwood. I leave all my boards 20+ and all are vests 20+ are left there hanging on racks. Aslo all uinit are alarmed. They also have security cameras everywhere. I know you said you want valet but if you can launch your own. Orowood is awesome. Good luck with you choices.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-10-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
the private unit does sound pretty sick. if i had a car that could trailer (i don't though...) i would definitely consider that too.

matt, i've also liked your profile pic. it always makes me nervous when those guys are back there. not that im doing anything wrong, but you never know...
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-10-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
+1 for orwood. My lockers $230 a month with lighting and electricity and free launch. If you go out 23 times a month it essentially pays itself!
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-10-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
I'm also from San Jose and have unit at Orwood. No one touches my stuff, has power, and they include free launching. Close to all the good boarding spots and good food. I really wish they had some type of launching service though, would love to leave my truck at home and drive the car. Either way I'm money ahead by not having to tow every time.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2014, 7:49 PM Reply   
Orwoods restaurant is pretty dam good too
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2014, 8:14 PM Reply   
Also the goto boat shop in San Jose is Topside Marine...repairs service custom stereo installs and indoor storage...right off 880/101 by First St....on 10th