Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (Ronix1andahalf)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-10-2013, 7:36 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some advice on how to flick for an air trick on the cable. I understand the physics of an air trick, and I know "how" to flick, but I don't know HOW to flick, if you get me. I tried it a couple times on the straightaway on a system 2 but it seemed like I couldn't feel out the way the flick was supposed to feel, like I was going for it and just hoping for the best. Are there any excercises I can do outside of the cable to get my muscle memory going? Is there some way to think about it when I try it to give me a better idea of exactly what I should be doing? The more specific the advice the better. Thanks
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-15-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
The way I was taught is make sure you get the edge correct. The thing that helped me is when I would edge right before I would "scoop" I would almost try to edge away from the cable. Imagine your from foot going backwards and away. I am not sure if it was just a mental image that helped me get in better position or if I actually changed the angle of my board, but this helped me. I came from boat riding for a long time so I would try to ollie instead of scoop.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-15-2013, 7:40 PM Reply   
I also learned on a system 2.0. I'd reccomend starting out in the corners as it's a kabajillion times easier and 1000 more forgiving on the falls. The nice thing about the C turns is that because you're swinging around you have line tension for the entire turn. So when you're edging in, edge like you would at first for the C turn, sit down on your butt like you're in a chair, set that heel edge and keep it building! Then when you feel the runner stop and the handle almost move back against your direction of travel, that's when you kinda rock to your back foot tuck the toes and let the line tension pick you up.
It's easier to learn in the corner because of that timing piece of when the runner stops. no need to worry about "enough edge" or "timing the tension" with System 2.0s corners.
When you're in the air make sure to keep your eyes open. If you're looking at the water then you should pull the handle to your hips almost automatically.
Don't stop at raleys in the corners though! almost everything that doesn't require the removal of line tension is easier in the corner!
Front flips, s bends, hinterbergers, backrolls front flips to revert etc

When you have that down and feel comfortable with it that's when I'd take it to the flats. and now that you know what's going to happen, you won't be scared and close your eyes and get hurt! So start off on your toe side of the cable, that'll give you more room to set your edge, pull the handle tight to your hips and when you're ready sit back on your heels. Really build that edge, but now that you're in the flat you have to tell yourself when you have enough linetension and edge as the runner is just going to keep pulling. SO once you know you're good/have enough. Rock to that back foot, hold the heel edge and it almost feels like you're trying to cut back against the way the cable is pulling you but it's a FLICK and you have to flick fast! You're going to feel like a rocketship coming out of a slingshot so enjoy it! but make sure to keep your eyes open because catching toes/heels coming down on air tricks is considered to be one of the worst falls you can take. Keep your eyes open and look for the water. You won't need to pull on the handle nearly as hard because you should be up considerably higher than you are when you raley in the corner. you'll be landing with a slack rope so get ready for a little yank after you ride a few feet but yeah congratulations!
Post a video once you land it. Outside of doing the raleys in the corners I didn't really find anything off the water that could help.