Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-24-2013, 2:53 PM Reply   
Where in the twin cities MN, are there good wakeboard lessons? I have not wakeboarded in a couple of years and want to start back up. I know the basics, just rusty. Any Minnesotan's here that can help?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-24-2013, 5:13 PM Reply   
Myself or a few of my friends would be up for doing some lessons here in the metro. I'll be hitting the water as soon as the ice clears. Shoot me an email at jlfogelson@hotmail.com and we can set something up.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2013, 5:53 AM Reply   
x2 for Iron Jay. He'll hook you up.

Now, if you need wakesurfing or kneeboarding lessons, I can help you there
Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-26-2013, 7:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
Myself or a few of my friends would be up for doing some lessons here in the metro. I'll be hitting the water as soon as the ice clears. Shoot me an email at jlfogelson@hotmail.com and we can set something up.
sweet!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
have not wakeboarded in a couple of years and want to start back up. I know the basics, just rusty. Any Minnesotan's here that can help?
Once it warms up I plan on making frequent trips to cable just north of the cities - http://www.visionwakepark.com/

... I've been on my board 4 times in two years, I've got plenty of rust to knock off too.
Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Hey is there anyway to get notifications to your email when someone posts in a forum of yours? I am definitely ready for summer to wakeboard!!

Iron Jay, where in the metro are you doing lessons?

Nick, i have only heard of such a thing called a cable, i am used to a boat, is it like a spring cord?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-27-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
I'd be happy to get you out too. I am not a great rider so I'm not giving lessons by any means, but can maybe give you a pointer or two. I'm in Cottage Grove right across the river from you. I grew up in IGH.
Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 6:31 PM Reply   
very cool boardman! yea i know basic shat, just trying to add to it
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-27-2013, 9:15 PM Reply   
I also frequent the cable, I'll probably pick up another season pass this year and be up there every day I'm free. I love to give lessons as well! We oughta get a spring ride type event/meet up at the cable one weekend here. Great place, and great guys who run it!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2013, 4:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehone View Post
Hey is there anyway to get notifications to your email when someone posts in a forum of yours? I am definitely ready for summer to wakeboard!!

Iron Jay, where in the metro are you doing lessons?

Nick, i have only heard of such a thing called a cable, i am used to a boat, is it like a spring cord?
I'm over on the West side. Exact lake depends on the wind and how many other boats are out on the water. Most of the time it's on Long Lake, next to Wayzata. Other lakes are Fish, Independence, Minnetonka, Dutch and Christmas. Going to pick the new boat this afternoon
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-28-2013, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
The best way to describe the one here is this - picture two towers at each and connect by overhead cables ...a small electric motor can move a "carrier" that holds your rope/handle back and forth. So as the carrier moves, so do you.... feels like a boat with a 15 ft. high tower is pulling you, no wake, but lots of rails / jumps.
... 15 minutes on a system2.0 cable feels like a 2 hour workout from something else.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-28-2013, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
'll probably pick up another season pass this year and be up there every day I'm free.
Is the season pass worth it? I was trying to decide whether to do that or just individual sets.... if I had a car pool buddy or two it might make the season pass much more appealing... what part of the metro do you live in?

Quote:
Going to pick the new boat this afternoon
Can't wait to see pics of that monster!

If you guys (anyone) are looking for a 3rd / 4th / etc. I am almost always willing to ride... new to the area and had to leave our boat behind, but I'm good for cleaning, driving, gas, and I did coach for a few years.
...usually done with work around 4:00ish
Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-28-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
We should look for something in the beginning of May, I end class about the first week. I work till 2 or 3, 5 days a week. I have a vehicle, but i havent bought a board, i just use my uncles, so i do need to rent.

We should definitely car pool for people in the south metro like saint paul.

I will also have to try the rip cord thing.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       03-28-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
Nick - you're welcome to join our group up on long lake (the one in New Brighton) ... Ice will likely not being out until mid may though - we still have more than a foot I'd say. PM me so I can send you my contact info if you're interested ...
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Can't wait to see pics of that monster!
Didn't have to wait too long. Ignore the blue trailer underneath...my custom matching one is set to arrive tomorrow. I'll get better pics once I have it on the matching trailer.
Attached Images

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-28-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
I don't think there has ever in History still been ice in the metro in Mid May. You won't find any ice or snow around in another 3-4 weeks even with the cooler than average out look. Even up north most everything is open by the first of May on a cooler year like this. Our lake up north usually clears first to second week of April and the metro is usually a week ahead. Normal year metro lakes are open 1-10th of April, historically speaking.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-28-2013, 3:09 PM Reply   
Nick- I put the season pass to work last season, i made up the cost of it by mid-july. It was ~500 or so last season, I have yet to check up on the cost this year, I would expect it to be in that range. I'm on Eagle Lake in Maple Grove, right at the 94/169 cross. Takes me ~30 to get up to the park via 65.
Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-28-2013, 6:09 PM Reply   
well we should get something together, for late may then, even though i have never seen snow or ice on a lake that late, and we put in the docks in a week before memorial weekend up in brainerd off north long lake. Its a little nippy but beer warms the freezing water anyways.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
The boat is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!

Quote:
Takes me ~30 to get up to the park via 65
Thats not too shabby, I'm like right downtown Minneapolis (few blocks from Target center and Target field).

@Nicolas Kohler (monkey_butt) - My PMs aren't working, but if you want to shoot me an email mine is
tomsyckn@gmail.com
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-29-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
STANDING OVATION once again for ironJ!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-29-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
Are you guys talking about a late May get together up at the cable park, or just for wakeboarding? If you are talking about wakeboarding and are not yet aware, we are having the MN Spring Ride at Cragun's in Brainerd from June 6-8.

This event brings together riders from throughout the state for one big festival. There will be multiple Red Bull parties and lots of riding and contests going on...there is over $10,000 cash that will be given away, along with a ton of great prizes ($2000 stereo setup from Roswell, $1000 worth of gear from The House, 2 Ronix wakeboards, and much more).
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Are you guys talking about a late May get together up at the cable park, or just for wakeboarding?
I'm talking about wakeboarding in any way/shape/form as soon as my pansy ass will allow me to get in the water.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
...did you ever find slightly stoopid tickets?
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       03-29-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
RB - hope you are right - when I left town Monday night it looked pretty solid but upon returning last night I started to believe ... first spring on the lake for me - so no history/experience ... wasn't taking my dogs anymore on the ice this morning ...

one thing about the cable park in Isanti: Some of my riding buddies went there last year a few times and you'll pay $35 (?) for the pass ... on the weekends you get 2 rides in and in between you probably wait for 2 hours ... yes it's a good workout but 5 minutes behind the cable ... 2 hours bumming then another 5 minutes?

I've honestly passed up so far just because of that reason - might be different if you have a season pass and just take every opportunity (weekdays etc.) ...

But back to the original thread topic: I'm in for lessons - Jay - are you saying you want to do them behind your boat or would it also be an option to teach on mine? Sorry I'm lazy - if boat is right outside to jump in ... why driving to another lake ;-)
Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-30-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
we should deffinitely get a group together for the cable and just wakeboard.
who is up for some skateboarding in burnsville though?

Jay where in brainerd is that event? im off north long in merrifield
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-30-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
It's true the cable is hit and miss as far as how busy it was. Some weekends it was dead and other weekend we had 15-20 people in line
Old     (ehone)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-30-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
Starting the end of may, who is able to wakeboard in the metro in the afternoon? either the cable or just behind a boat, im down for either. i probably won't buy a season pass to the cable park, mostly because i never did it.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-31-2013, 8:26 AM Reply   
Nicolas with the weather forecast(minus Monday/Tuesday) I would guess we will see the lakes around the metro start to break up in the 10 day-2 week time frame. Come on Spring. Last year up north at the cabin we went from ice fishing on solid ice(3feet) to the lake totally open in 10 days. That was with 50 like are in the forecast. Praying for liquid water!!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-31-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
last year we were in shorties or even trunking already.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       04-10-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
we're shoveling tonite ... no open water on Long Lake yet except for the channel between the 2 basins :-(
Attached Images

Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-10-2013, 6:21 AM Reply   
We've got a couple weeks yet on Eagle in Maple Grove... Snow is not what I wanted to see as I woke up this morning.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-10-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
Super weird spring. With the look of the long range forecast we are going to be a full month behind with ice off. Gonna be a couple more weeks even in the metro.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       04-11-2013, 5:24 AM Reply   
the one good thing right now is: Lake is filling up fast ... and ground is absorbing a lot of water too - so it's at least not all run off ...
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-11-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
I've been keeping an eye on the lake Nick! Can't wait for it to thaw! this snow won't help much...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
...today sure isn't helping....
Attached Images

Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-12-2013, 5:02 AM Reply   
Worst Spring Ever
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       04-12-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
If it was for my dogs it could be winter all year ;-)
Old     (waketonka)      Join Date: May 2010       01-30-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehone View Post
Where in the twin cities MN, are there good wakeboard lessons? I have not wakeboarded in a couple of years and want to start back up. I know the basics, just rusty. Any Minnesotan's here that can help?

Hey Eric, come check us out, Wake Tonka. We're on Lake Minnetonka and have been teaching lessons and giving pulls for about 8 years now. We run our business on a MasterCraft X-Star. Look forward to hearing from you!

WakeTonka.com