Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (KJ_Ride)      Join Date: May 2016       03-10-2021, 6:15 PM Reply   
Anybody have experience riding the solo on the cable? Trying to upgrade from my 147 slingshot Shredtown. I ride about 85% cable 15% boat. 6’2” 215, so eyeing the 150 solo for that occasional boat sesh that comes along. Just wondering how the board rides behind the cable or if the Nomad or Windsor might be a better option.

Thoughts?
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-11-2021, 4:49 AM Reply   
Sorry, I haven't ridden the solo before so I can't be a ton of help but I have ridden a bunch of Slingshots in the past. What I do know is all three of those have different flex patterns. Solo has a stiffer belly with softer tip and tail while nomad is more consistent through the board. I don't really think the nomad is soft but it's probably the softest of the three while the Windsor is probably the stiffest.
For me personally I prefer a consistent flex across the whole board. Also I'm a little skeptical about the narrow board width of the solo, so I'd probably go with a 150 or 155 nomad (I'm also 6'1", 215lbs). I've ridden the Nomad before and liked it. The Nomad wouldn't be my first choice of board but would prefer it over the Windsor or Solo. My personal choice would be a 150 Native. I loved the Response and Recoil (The Native is just a combination of the two) and I found those to be really well rounded, easy to use, do everything kind of boards.

That's all just my opinion though and since I haven't actually tried out the Solo, that opinion might not mean a whole lot.
Old     (KJ_Ride)      Join Date: May 2016       03-11-2021, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Mora View Post
Sorry, I haven't ridden the solo before so I can't be a ton of help but I have ridden a bunch of Slingshots in the past. What I do know is all three of those have different flex patterns. Solo has a stiffer belly with softer tip and tail while nomad is more consistent through the board. I don't really think the nomad is soft but it's probably the softest of the three while the Windsor is probably the stiffest.
For me personally I prefer a consistent flex across the whole board. Also I'm a little skeptical about the narrow board width of the solo, so I'd probably go with a 150 or 155 nomad (I'm also 6'1", 215lbs). I've ridden the Nomad before and liked it. The Nomad wouldn't be my first choice of board but would prefer it over the Windsor or Solo. My personal choice would be a 150 Native. I loved the Response and Recoil (The Native is just a combination of the two) and I found those to be really well rounded, easy to use, do everything kind of boards.

That's all just my opinion though and since I haven't actually tried out the Solo, that opinion might not mean a whole lot.

This is money. Thanks man!
I did not even consider the Native, but it really seems to be a popular choice these days. Shredtown was my first SS board and its been fun to ride no doubt, just time for an upgrade in size.
The graphic this year on the Native is sweet too. How's the flex on the Native? Not really looking for a noodle like the Terrain, but still want to be able to press and have fun doing some butters.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-12-2021, 10:21 AM Reply   
I would say to check out the Native as well. I've heard great things about it on cable. On boat, there is a rider in our crew that rocks it and loves it. He's a solid advanced level rider. He used to ride the recoil in the past.

Some pertinent videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmlqksGaGOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NoUkydpyDg
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-12-2021, 10:22 AM Reply   
Nomad is probably a great option as well.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-23-2021, 2:31 PM Reply   
Anyone have any feedback on the Native as a boat board?
How do the flex tips impact pop off the wake, if at all?

I used to ride the Recoil and Response, so the idea of a combo board between those two is really intriguing.

Right now I’m on the 146 Pill, and really like the pop... but I’m coming off a 155 Nomad (rode most of 2020 season) so the size feels a little small (I’m 6’3 230), and I’m really struggling with the transition back to a three-stage rocker after so many years on the very fast Response. The Pill just feels like it drags when I’m coming in toeside... but... I’ve only got around 8-10 sets on it and it’s all been since December and in cold weather, wetsuit, and generally out of good riding shape. So I don’t know how much is the board or how much is me/other factors.

I loved this size, shape, speed, and landings of the Nomad, but, I just felt the board flex was way too soft. Really have to load that board up, in addition to loading the rope. Some days I could really connect and go big and some days just couldn’t seem to find the pop.

So having said all of that, I’m really leery of the “flex tips”. But I would love to get on a 150 sized board (I think 150-152 is my sweet spot) with a continuous rocker.

Last edited by dyost; 03-23-2021 at 2:32 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-23-2021, 7:36 PM Reply   
Don’t have any other feedback other than a guy in our crew loves his 150 Native. Used to ride the recoil for year. Also had a pill for a year but likes the Native more. Wanted to add that blemboard has them right now for $419 shipped. No tax. Use the code: blemboard.

Could always give it a shot and that way you’re bot quite as invested.
Old     (Slinger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-28-2021, 12:05 AM Reply   
search Native on this forum. Best SS boat board ever in my opinion. Come from multiple seasons on recoil and response plus a season on the Pill and a failed start to a season on the Solo(hate this board) I ride the Native 100% boat, have an older Windsor for cable but I'm sure the Native would be great on cable also.
Old     (KJ_Ride)      Join Date: May 2016       05-20-2021, 12:54 PM Reply   
Okay wanted to touch base back on this for anyone looking in the future...

Took the Native out for the first session at the "local" cable park (REALLY need more wake parks in Houston/Greater Houston Area) and the board absolutely RIPS.

Thank you to everyone who said to get the Slingshot Native. The flex tips and overall flex of the whole board are awesome. Great for locking in on presses and hitting rails any which way. Can really throw the board around on spins as well. Coming off the rails throwing in an extra front or back 1 or 3 come easily.

The 150 size and width of the board make hitting kickers a blast. They've got some pretty solid large kickers at the park and I was able to hit them the whole session without the legs and knees getting shot.

Still can throw some fun butters and mess around in open sections of the water to top it all off.

Great all around board, really excited to get it out behind the boat. If you are having hesitation on the Native I would say it is worth trying, definitely does not get the hype it deserves.