Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2017, 7:48 AM Reply   
Well I went to go start my boat the other day. I punch in the code and the boat wakes up, I hit the start button and "CLICK" the boat go's dead. I'm being told that most likely it's the factory key pad, that they tend over time to go bad? I call the dealer $400. Ouch! Anyone have any experience with this problem and is a $400 part the problem. I would hate to buy a electrical component (no return) and try it out only to find it's somthing else.
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-05-2017, 9:34 AM Reply   
I'd check your battery voltage and connection points first thing.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-05-2017, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleup16 View Post
I'd check your battery voltage and connection points first thing.
^ This

Based on the statement "it clicks and then goes dead" I'm betting it is a battery, or battery connection related issue (possibly starter as well, but less likely). I HIGHLY doubt it is the keypad. If it was, you wouldn't get the solenoid click followed by the immediate loss of battery power. It would just do nothing.....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2017, 10:18 AM Reply   
The battery voltage is good I have almost 13v. the boat turns on and fully lights up when in accessory mode. Then when you hit the START button to fire the thing up it gives you the Click and then the entire dash board go's dead. It's like when you hit start a relay switch the boat OFF.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2017, 10:36 AM Reply   
This is the Key Pad I'm taking about $400
Attached Images

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-05-2017, 10:41 AM Reply   
Exact same thing happened to me the beginning of this year.. like you I was worried the keypad went out. I had 12v according to my multimeter on both batteries, but the batteries were 5years old.. decided I needed to replace them anyway and tried that first, sure enough it fired right up.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2017, 10:47 AM Reply   
Hummm. I have 6 Battery's they are like 3 years old I would doubt I have a battery issue but I will investigate. It's just strange to me that the entire dash go's dead. I have to turn the boat off and then back on to get the boat iin Acc mode
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2017, 10:52 AM Reply   
Ok I just went out to make a video of it NOT working and she decided to start working like nothing's wrong ???
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-05-2017, 10:54 AM Reply   
Yep, same identical thing is what mine was doing. Turn boat on, key in code, start button once for ACC, all good, press start again to engage starter and everything shuts off immediately.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-05-2017, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Ok I just went out to make a video of it NOT working and she decided to start working like nothing's wrong ???
Isnt that always how stuff goes ?? Maybe the starter was a little rusted up on the brushes or something . Id be starting it about 20 times to be sures its all good .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-05-2017, 11:54 AM Reply   
aren't those things notorious for going out? I'm surprised its lasted this long.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-05-2017, 12:11 PM Reply   
Still on my original one from '02
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-05-2017, 7:44 PM Reply   
Figured this thread would be about you building your own.

Good luck figuring it out. We had an electrical issue a while back where our dash would just die randomly and it turned out to be the Micky Mouse fuse holders that Mastercraft used under the dash.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2017, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
aren't those things notorious for going out? I'm surprised its lasted this long.
Quite the contrary. They manage to last quite a while and very rarely need replacing. Same can't be said for the digital gauges tho.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2017, 10:05 AM Reply   
I think it may be the batterys. I think I have lots of voltage but no cold cranking amps. Because I have a large battery bank it can often be deceiving. Example high voltage will not start your boat. It will turn on the lights Ect but it's got no amperage behind it to crank a starter Ect. And I think one of my banks is extra low causing a draw or it's pulling down the rest of the system
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2017, 4:12 AM Reply   
Quite positive it is the battery or a lose/bad connection somewhere.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-20-2017, 9:57 AM Reply   
Exact same 5hing happened to my 2003 excalibur. I searched for 2 years because it was intermittent. I finally found out the lead battery connection to the wire, looked fine, but pulled right out of the connection all green. Replaced that connector, never had the problem again. That was 7 years ago.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2017, 2:14 PM Reply   
yes, I later found out that it was a few bad batteries in my system that was causing the problem. The person that I spoke with said that the Keypads go out quite often so that's what started me down that path. I'm glad I didn't spend $400 on something i didn't need
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2017, 9:41 AM Reply   
I have done it quite easily a couple times on keyed ignitions. Can you easily hot wire around this if you are in a pinch?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-24-2017, 1:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I have done it quite easily a couple times on keyed ignitions. Can you easily hot wire around this if you are in a pinch?
Tim I would like to know what the work around on this is. It made me think if I was in some remote location and the key pad Did happen to realy go out it would be smart to know what the work around is. If you know can you send a link or post it
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-24-2017, 1:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Tim I would like to know what the work around on this is. It made me think if I was in some remote location and the key pad Did happen to realy go out it would be smart to know what the work around is. If you know can you send a link or post it
Yeah. Do tell so I can steal Grant's boat at my leisure. Lol
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-24-2017, 2:53 PM Reply   
Mark you don't want my crummy old Direct drive! What you want is Harolds 210 V drive. The code is
UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT A-B select Start.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-24-2017, 11:07 PM Reply   
Haha love that mint condition red gel coat with the Seadek. What kind of tower speakers does he have?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-24-2017, 11:09 PM Reply   
They look like Polk/Momo grills, but they also look like they're 10". I give up.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2017, 10:04 AM Reply   
Harolds boat has NVS tower speakers that are wrapped in Carbon fiber & Ryan machined the Polk Audio grills down & plastic welded a new ring on them to make the fit perfectly. Harold sanded and painted the rings, they look awesome. They look factory but they are totally custom.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-25-2017, 5:48 PM Reply   
AH HA!!! I KNEW there was something special/unique going on there.