Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-11-2017, 5:02 PM Reply   
OK....so I hit a curb a few weeks back. Didn't notice anything at the time but the starboard front wheel is out of alignment. It looked like it was out of alignment both up and down as well as left/right. It destroyed a tire after about 1000 miles. Basically wore the inner edge down till it popped.

Soo, I ordered a new trailing arm assembly from boatman and put it on. It is much better up and down but it still looks a little caddywhumpus. It appears slightly out of alignment like it wants to pull starboard when looking at the boat head on....which would make perfect sense given the mechanism. To confirm this I ran a string across both tires and their is a gap between the string and trailing edge of the front tire of about 3/4 inch.

Soo...that said, any ideas on how to fix this? Can the torsion spring axle get pushed back from the impact? if so, Is there something I can replace that will re-locate the spring axle to the center?

Thanks

Bakes
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-11-2017, 7:53 PM Reply   
Ok...I looked up some alignment terms.

Initial state after the curb: slight negative camber and toe out

Fixed the camber with a new spindle/trailing arm. Still has the toe out though.

I popped everything off again to include the plate covering the face of the axle. There is a hard plastic spacer type thing in there that appears to locate the axle shaft within the tubing. It has a crack at the back of it like the axle hit it. Still, it looked pretty normal. I even turned it around so that the crack was facing forward and it still had the toe out when I put everything back together. Looking at the axle shaft everything appeared centered and even within the tubing and the plastic spacer slides in and out smoothly. I guess it could be distorting under weight but I would expect it to go to toe in when I reversed the spacer.

Where the axle attaches to the frame looks straight as well.

I don't mind replacing the axle assembly. Probably a 30 min job with a buddy, the boat off and pneumatic tools....but I want to be sure before I drop $400 on it. Especially when it looks pretty straight

The good news is that I can have the tire, caliper and trailing arm off in less than 5 minutes.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-11-2017, 9:36 PM Reply   
Perhaps there is a mount that is bent or distorted. The torsion bar, being spring steel, is extremely unlikely to be bent. The trailing arm mount is the most likely culprit as a small change there could make a fair angle difference at the end of the trailing arm. Sorry I can't be more help than that.