Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Thechopz)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-09-2017, 6:40 PM Reply   
First off, we just bought a new to us 2005 WakeSetter 23 XTi. 348 hours, dealership maintained, perfect interior and exterior looks great for 28k. From looking at comoarables this seemed like a good deal to me. PROBLEM BEING..... no trailer. I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a trailer both used and new and haven't come up with anything. Any suggestions or thoughts of another path to take in looking would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-09-2017, 7:21 PM Reply   
There are trailer manufacturers that will build one easily if you can't find one used. Check who makes them for Malibu normally, but there are manufacturers in MN and many across the country. A quick search for Minnesota boat trailers should put you in touch with several dealers who could get one
Old     (Thechopz)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-09-2017, 7:50 PM Reply   
Everything I found on a search on the state only come up with trailers for fishing, and pontoon boats ��. I can get one thru the local, and only, Malibu dealership in the state, but the price is astronomical since they literally have zero competition is my guess.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-09-2017, 8:53 PM Reply   
Malibu now builds their own in house. Doubt they would sell consumer direct.

Boatmate has been building trailers for Malibus for years, but again, dont think they sell consumer direct, but worth a call to them.

A good trailer wont be cheap, a cheap trailer wont be good.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-10-2017, 4:28 AM Reply   
I paid $5500 for my boatmate
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-10-2017, 6:25 AM Reply   
Its usually a good idea to stay away from used tow boats without trailers unless you have a source for one. Main reason is cost. Trailer dealers sell very few inboard trailers. So they don't stock them when you need one it has to be custom ordered which usually translates to full retail. Finding used trailers for inboards is like looking for a needle is a haystack. They are nonexistent. So you buy new. You shouldn't have an issue finding new. Plenty of manufacturers make them. But plan to pay $5000-$7000 for a tandem big enough for your 23.

Then the issue is you have a $7000 trailer where a used $2500 one should have been sitting when you go to sell the boat. People aren't willing to pay more because it has a new trailer. So you eat the cost. And now you know why it seemed like a good deal. I don't know the market on a 2005 XTI, but is it worth $35k? Thats where your gonna be with the $28K+$7 for a trailer.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-10-2017, 6:48 AM Reply   
I see you are local. Any of the local dealers can get you a trailer. Midwest Mastercraft, Henien Motorsports, River Valley Powersports, Faction Marine, MN inboard. I think Midwest even stocks a few.

If your having troubles shoot me a PM as I know people at a few of the dealers.
Old     (Thechopz)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-10-2017, 11:24 AM Reply   
MN Inboards just quoted me 5750 for a new boatmate thru them. Doesn't seem bad. Like you said RB, it's hard to find comparables for the XTi anywhere for the most part. MN Inboards has 2 of them that are 21 footers and have them listed at 28k, and 32k with the same amount of hours roughly on the 32k boat of the same year. So just thinking off the top of my head, I would assume and feel like a 23 with trailer at 34k would probably be about right?
Old     (xxrb2010)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-10-2017, 12:57 PM Reply   
Better reassuring yourself that the price if correct.

If it helps you having a good sleep, I can say to you that your deal is still a good deal.

PS: from an unknown random people on internet forum.