Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-04-2017, 11:43 AM Reply   
Hey guys I'm looking for a tower speaker setup for a 21st moomba lsv. I'd like to keep it sub 400. Ya I know that's not much but I don't really have anymore than that budgeted for this project.

We will be doing wakeboarding and wakesurfing. I will be doing install myself
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-04-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
Do you have anything on your tower right now? Do you have an amp to power your tower speakers yet?
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-04-2017, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Do you have anything on your tower right now? Do you have an amp to power your tower speakers yet?
No amp, that I know of yet. I will look into it this weekend when I get to the boat. It's pretty new to me and I can't remember.

I don't mind going used. I only have wakeboard racks on the tower so far
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-04-2017, 12:24 PM Reply   
Theres someone selling a set of the Kicker ones used here on this site in the classifieds for 250, could prob get a decent PPI amp fairly cheap and have a good starter setup.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-04-2017, 12:28 PM Reply   
so for any hope of hearing the speakers at wakeboard length, your only hope for that price point is probably going to be the Kicker HLCD setup.

It's really best as a 6-pack, but the 4-pack will get you started. There's a couple links for items that have the speakers with pods and amps here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Kicker-6-5...5Y3zfR&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Of-Kick...tY21R9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Kicker-6-5...BY3zfq&vxp=mtr

The best setup would involve your boat cabin speakers also on an amp and a subwoofer with an amp (or a multi-channel amp setup, but eliminating deck power for the boat speakers. That said, the above links are worth looking at for a starting point, albeit a smidge above your budget.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2017, 12:34 PM Reply   
If it were me I'd get your interior setup in order and wait til you save up some dough to do a pair of nice towers on a good amp. You'll end up with a better overall system when it all comes together. At $400 you're probably going to be looking at a deck and a pair of speakers. Ideally you want those on an amp too. If the deck is usable even better get an amp and two pairs in there and you'll be in good shape.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-04-2017, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
Theres someone selling a set of the Kicker ones used here on this site in the classifieds for 250, could prob get a decent PPI amp fairly cheap and have a good starter setup.
Good find. That's a used setup of the links I was sharing on ebay that were more expensive and new. PRice is right too.

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=5098

stxdeadI, I'd scoop up those kickers from the classifieds.
Run it off a PPI 600.2 and that should come in under budget for you.
https://www.caraudioco.com/precision...fee=2&fep=7218
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-05-2017, 6:26 AM Reply   
Anyone ever use rockville?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/351996300236
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-05-2017, 7:26 AM Reply   
My opinion is that Rockville is no name unproven junk. I wouldn't use that stuff on my boat if it was free.

The kicker setup is proven. Quality. And I've personally used both the kicker speakers as well as the PPI amps.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2017, 9:27 AM Reply   
+1 for everything Trayson said.

For that budget the Kicker stuff is the way to go, and the PPI 900.4 amp is awesome.

I scored some WetSounds Pro-80s for $450 shipped a while back, might want to keep your eyes on classifieds too.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-05-2017, 11:49 AM Reply   
So I've got the kicker 4 pack in the dual pods, how does one go about wiring in the six pack with the single pod enclosures? By themselves the 4 pack is 4ohm per side, and the extra pods are 4ohm each. Wiring them in parallel will give you 2ohms and I've got an amp that's 300w x 2 @ 2ohms so I'm good to go there.

But how do I wire the pods now? I've got one + and one - on the dual pod and one + and one - on the single pod.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-05-2017, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post
So I've got the kicker 4 pack in the dual pods, how does one go about wiring in the six pack with the single pod enclosures? By themselves the 4 pack is 4ohm per side, and the extra pods are 4ohm each. Wiring them in parallel will give you 2ohms and I've got an amp that's 300w x 2 @ 2ohms so I'm good to go there.

But how do I wire the pods now? I've got one + and one - on the dual pod and one + and one - on the single pod.
It's actually pretty easy. just connect the + from the dual with the + from the single and run them to your amp. Likewise on the -. Basically, you just join the pos and neg of the new speakers into the existing connections you have with your dual pods.

I'm guessing you might be running them with the PPI P600.2? If so, that's gonna be great. I had that exact setup and it cranked.

Don't forget to go into your tweeter and change it to the higher output setting to compliment your 6 pack. also might be a good time to add some poly fill to the pods for the 4 midrange speakers.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-05-2017, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
+1 for everything Trayson said.

For that budget the Kicker stuff is the way to go, and the PPI 900.4 amp is awesome.

I scored some WetSounds Pro-80s for $450 shipped a while back, might want to keep your eyes on classifieds too.
The choice between the PPI P900.4 and the PPI P600.2 will depend on your ultimate goals. If you ever plan on making the 4 pack into a 6 pack, I think the 600.2 is the better choice because it's 2 ohm stable. It also costs less. The PPI 900.4 will put our more power bridged, and costs a little more, but that amp is best suited to towers where you're only going to have a 4 ohm load ever.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-05-2017, 10:03 PM Reply   
Ok, well that sounds simple enough, haha

I actually am going to power it with a Wetsounds HT-2. It does 300w x 2 @2ohms which should be the perfect match. I've got the polyfill that came with the pods. Should I add more or put in a different type?

I had the 4 pack powered with a JL M400/4 which I'm going to repurpose for a 400w DVC sub.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-05-2017, 10:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post
Ok, well that sounds simple enough, haha

I actually am going to power it with a Wetsounds HT-2. It does 300w x 2 @2ohms which should be the perfect match. I've got the polyfill that came with the pods. Should I add more or put in a different type?

I had the 4 pack powered with a JL M400/4 which I'm going to repurpose for a 400w DVC sub.
if you've already got polyfill, you're good.

Sounds like you'll be rockin. Definitely can't go wrong with those amps. Just remember to change the output setting on the horn. you simply move the black wire from the 0DB terminal to the +6 DB terminal. Easy.

Old     (ksunet)      Join Date: May 2015       04-07-2017, 12:57 PM Reply   
I have the 6.5 DB Drive Tubbies and I love them. They are inexpensive and I can hear them over 100 feet away. I have a p900.4 amp driving them(bridged). For the price, I think its a awesome package! I have had them 2 seasons with no problems at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Audio-M...EMNXNSYA0XQTNK

Great video of the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOeoW8vPs4
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-10-2017, 7:31 AM Reply   
Just like the OP, I have been on a super tight budget but wanted HCLD tower speakers. I came across what I thought was an incredible. Memphis 6.75" HCLD tower speakers marked down to $250 for a pair, brand new in the box. My local dealer bought 250 pairs but as of the weekend was already down to 66 pairs left. These are on pivot mounts similar to an exile clamp. I was able to hear them and was impressed. I bought two pairs and for $500 total I thought that was a really good deal.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bpo/6080515754.html
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       04-10-2017, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
Just like the OP, I have been on a super tight budget but wanted HCLD tower speakers. I came across what I thought was an incredible. Memphis 6.75" HCLD tower speakers marked down to $250 for a pair, brand new in the box. My local dealer bought 250 pairs but as of the weekend was already down to 66 pairs left. These are on pivot mounts similar to an exile clamp. I was able to hear them and was impressed. I bought two pairs and for $500 total I thought that was a really good deal.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bpo/6080515754.html
You wanna buy a set and I'll pay you haha I asked him if he would ship