Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-16-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about getting a pool. My backyard isn't very long in depth, only about 32', the width is about 100'. I've seen pools in my area with smaller backyards so I know It's not that big of a deal. My question is for anyone that's put a pool in (vs. parents house had pool, bought house with pool, etc) or has some good advice regardless. I know they can be anywhere from 30k to 200k in my area, I've heard average runs about 45k with no additional decking or fence (required in my county). What are the pros / cons you can think of? I've heard it can actually be worse for resale value and not to even think about it adding to your homes value, but only put in for your enjoyment expected no return on investment. Thoughts?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-16-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
Never had a pool, but I've helped people remove both above ground and in ground pools, it's not fun either way. Personally I would never buy a house with a pool or hot tub, or any other large expensive to run and time consuming to maintain body of water. The only water I want on my property would be a lake or river in the back yard with a dock and my boat on a lift. Anything aside from that and I'd be making a really low offer on the house or avoiding it altogether. If you're planning on moving in the next 10 years it may not be the best way to spend your money. If you're in the property for the long haul and would really like a pool, go for it. Just my thoughts, and worth exactly what you paid for them.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
Let me put it to you this way- If I could find a sucker that didn't know the cost(s) associated with ownership to buy my pool I'd sell it in a heartbeat. The only good thing about a pool is that you don't have to shower until your hair turns green. Yum!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-16-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
If you get a pool, get a saltwater pool. Less maint. and expense in the long run. do you know people that you can use their pool anytime? If you do, I wouldn't mess with it. Although it is nice to have one right out your back door. Another thing to consider, do you have small children? I wouldn't if you do. My neighbors 13 month old almost drown Friday evening. It was scary. cops everywhere. People screaming. Not sure if she is going to pull through or not at this point.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Ill be the first to say; I love my pool !! I grew up with a pool, and have had a pool with each home Ive owned. Granted there are some drawbacks, such as maintanane, and added energy expenses, but its all about what you want. Its a thing you do for yourself, not for the next guy. I have three kids that were all born and raised with a pool in the back yard. Sure "Accidents" can happen, but as a responsible parent, you will take all precations so tragidy never has an oppertunity. We never had any issues. The nice thing is that all the kids will be at your house, and you know were your kids are. They also make great swimming holes for your dogs. Lol.
Old     (LowPressure)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-18-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
I also love my pool, but I probably wouldn't do it again. They are expensive! But so are wives and we all fell into that one too! Yeah, I probably wouldn't do that again either!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-18-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
The best pools are someone elses. I grew up with a pool and the money drain and the time drain are a complete whip. I will NEVER own a pool. Glad my inlaws do, though. they are great! Do yourslef a favor, put the $45k in another account. Then go out to your garage, get your big sledge hammer and sit in the middle of your garage. Stand it on the handle between your ankles and lay flat. Now gently let it fall towards your crotch. You will have the same feeling as owning a pool, and save $45k. you can thank me later.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-18-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
depends where you live. If you live in an area where it's warm having a pool is great and cheap entertaiment. The cost of chlorine and electricty is less per month than going out to dinner one time. I'd rather have some friends over and have a few beers and burger and jump in the pool than go to a bar and possibly get a DUI. Plus kids love them and you'll know where your kids are.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2011, 10:27 PM Reply   
^^Yep, agree. Moved into a house that has a pool, didn't know what I thought about it at first, but it's a big time plus with 100+ degree days. Also cuts down on lawn maintenance. It's all about where you are and what you're going to do with it. My friends ruled out houses with pools when they moved, and now say that was the wrong decision. This is warm climate specific thought, I don't know if the pool maintenance would be worth it in colder climates, shorter summers
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-19-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Jason - Hahahaha! Too funny man.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-19-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
Out of curiosity, what are the electricity, maintenance, etc. costs on a monthly basis of owning a pool?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-19-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
Like I said. Saltwater pool. More upfront cost, but no chemicals.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-19-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
fugure elecrricity about $40-50 per month. Chemicals $20-30 per month. Less during winter months
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-19-2011, 6:11 PM Reply   
I just bought a house with a pool, been in it for about 2 mos now. I love it so far. I live in Texas where the season is about 8 mos long, though, and not sure I'd want one in a cooler climate. Maintenance is a learning curve, especially when daytime temps break 100. Best I can figure the extra cost is about $100-150/mo in energy, chemicals, and random stuff breaking. Well worth it IMO - we get far more enjoyment out of it than 1 extra nice dinner out per month. Get ready for all your friends to want to hang at your place.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
They're great to relax and cool down in. I manage a store and do service work during the peak months. Variable speed pump is a must to keep electricity costs down and if you're in California or Florida you have no choice. Salt systems are good as long as you understand they aren't a magic box for your pool. The pool still needs to be tested/cared for and they last 3-5 years and you need to buy a new system or you'll get bent over for replacement parts once it starts to fail. PM me if you have any specific questions about equipment, etc. I'll give my honest opinion.

For those of you that have pools, we use product from a company called natural chemistry heavily in our customers' pools, especially those with salt systems. They've got a full line of products that will help your protect your cell and help your chlorine generator work easier and in turn last longer.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
I grew up with a pool and the first thing I did with my new home is put in a huge pool and diving board. There is nothing like the family and friends together hanging by the pool for the day. It is similar to the feeling on being on the boat. There are many nights we just invite family or friends over for a quick burger, beer and swim. It is a real bonding experience that is very unique. We taught our son to swim by 1 and diving to the bottom of the pool by 2. We installed a baby gate/pool screen which even at 4, we still have it up as a safety precaution. We also had him wear a life jacket anytime he was in the back yard, just like a boat and than we had no issues. I would not change a thing. The small amount of monthly easily is worth the years of memories. I would definatley recommend the diving board though, especially for aspiring wakeboarders. We too let the dogs swim a ton when they were younger and they just loved it.

The one thing I would almost say is a requirement is solar heat. It will greatly extend your season. We had spent a fortune on our backyard and they convinced us that we did not need solar because it was so hot in the valley. Our pool was freezing because it is 12' deep, so our swim season was June-August, which was crazy cause the kids would not go in the pool. With the addition of solar we are swimming from March-November. In fact most of the summer we have it turned off because it will get the pool way to hot.

A built in/connected spa is almost a requirement. The kids always end up in it and of course it is great after a long day on the water. We built seating all the way around so you can sit with your feet in and not get wet. Almost every get together the adults are sitting around the spa with their feet in while the kids (and me) are flipping of the board.

I am not saying it is cheap or minimal maintenance, but how many "sports" are. Wakeboarding, Snowboarding, Moto,etc.. All cost a ton more than the maintenance of this and we do it without ever thinking about it.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE QUALITY TIME AND MEMORIES YOU WILL GET FROM IT.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
I love my pool and I don't use it that often, but when I do it's worth it. The best money you can spend is on a pool service. I pay $80/month and don't have to worry about a thing.

I strain leaves from it once a week and clean the filters twice a year.

IMO it's a money saver when you have kids. Invite a bunch of friends over. Let the kids swim while you chill and float with a cocktail. It's awesome.

Right now my pool is un-heated. I'd like solar and my house is plumbed for it, but the panels were removed when the roof was put on. Someday I'll put panels back up. Consequently my pool only stays at about 75. Perfectly refreshing, but chilly in the evenings. A new high efficiency pump is key on electricity. I only spend about $50 extra/month for this house vs. my last one and this house has A/C and a pool, so it's not bad. I've heard horror stories, but I think efficiency is key.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-22-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
I Love my pool as well, I have had pools all my life and I will say about seven years ago I added my current one in and I made it a salt pool. I really recommend salt, to me its better on several reasons you make your own chlorine and can adjust it and its easier on your eyes and clothing and hair. To me it took a little to get to understand the whole chemistry aspect but I wouldn't go back to regular chlorine now. As for maintenance I take care of mine but it doesn't require to much. Another few items to add to your must have is auto drain so it never has to be pumped out when it fills from rain and an auto fill so when the kids cannon ball the heck out of it you have no need to add a hose to fill it. I have a cleaner Navigator I think that seems to work well however when it needs to be rebuilt I just drop it off and the pool store handles it for a small cost. Also add extra return lines from the pump back to the pool for better circulation this helps keep the pool cleaner and reduce algae build up.

Another thing most have not mentioned, it is great to have all the kids at your house so you know where they are and what they are doing but take stock in food and drinks. My teenage son has his friends over and its amazing what they can go through when swimming. In all my years of pools it seems only one parent has brought some pizzas over for all the kids and of course they own a pool as well.

I agree with the others above I think its worth it.

Good Luck and if you do go that route look at allot of pools from that builder ask to go see current ones he is building to get allot of ideas on what you want.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
My most expensive part of having a pool is the dual kegs in the back yard that I have to empty about once a month Oh and the occasional margarita machine that needs ice On fight nights - kids swim, guys watch the fights/empty my kegs, and ladies do whatever they do.
Old     (LowPressure)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-24-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
http://www.poolforum.com/

This is the best pool forum I've found. It's saved me lots of money!

I live in Illinois and only get about a 6 month season and I'm heating quite a bit that. I would never get a pool without some type of heat. I swim everyday and I've had the heat off for a couple of months, but this morning the temp was only 72, in the middle of August. I'll swim in 72, but the kids and wife won't.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-26-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
^^ So I registered on poolforum.com, and now I can't see most of the forums nor search when logged in. Is it a pay site or something?