Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-21-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
'Can you come take a look at my boat? It just doesn't seem to hit as hard as it should.'

First of all, it sounds like it was tuned by that dude with all the gold horns.

Second, 2 XS12's on a RF 800A2 should hit harder but not when there's no way for the bass from the sub in the observer's helm to get out.

And third, the enclosure under the captain's helm looks like it's about to pop. It was screwed down to the floor I've been working out, so it was no match for me.

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-21-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
eh generally speaking yea. In my boat i used mdf and resin to avoid any problems down the road, but i've had a non resin mdf carpeteted box in our families 98 centurion dd since 1999. Its still solid. Actually more solid that the pos boat its in. Its in CA though so humidity isn't a problem and everything dries out pretty quick if it gets wet. Another key factor is everyone driving it knows how to avoid swamping the boat.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-21-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
Don't smoke crack and don't swamp your boat.

If that MDF was coated in resin like it should've been, the owner wouldn't have had that problem. If the box got that wet, I'd hate to see what the boat looked like.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2014, 3:26 PM Reply   
They are "Wet Sounds". Getting Wet is what it's all about.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-21-2014, 4:54 PM Reply   
MDF is porous. Edge to edge you can easily draw air through it with 125 psi vacuum.
MDF construction uses water-based adhesives.
MDF is not much different from pressed paper. It even behaves and looks like paper when it absorbs water, dries and expands.
Whether, a polyester resin or an epoxy resin (a little better), every coating is micro-porous and will eventually wick up water IF the enclosure is resting in moist carpet.
However, MDF can hold up for the long term with the right construction techniques and the right installation execution. But painting a little resin on the surface isn't enough.
Even solvent-based birch ply will eventually delaminate if allowed to rest in water. So even with better materials you have to execute correctly.
Makes you wonder about people using paper woofers in boats.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-21-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
My boxes have always been mdf, I make a plastic base where it sits on the carpet though and then line x the whole enclosure. Never had a problem
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-21-2014, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
My boxes have always been mdf, I make a plastic base where it sits on the carpet though and then line x the whole enclosure. Never had a problem
did you see the mythbusters episode about "truck bed liner"? It made a brick wall that fell apart during an explosion blast proof when coated with it! Pretty incredible stuff.
< obiously this wall was line x'd as well
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-22-2014, 5:00 AM Reply   
speaking of bedliners, any of you ever try that do it yourself bedliner from home depot? Worth it?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-22-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
oh, can I smoke crack while rolling it on?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
There was a reason wood was eliminated from modern boats and I would imagine that crack has a similar effect on your brain.

Last edited by srock; 07-24-2014 at 6:23 AM.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-24-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
Mowing your grass on pcp seems legit, why not build a sub box on crack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxee1uO3hTE