Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-12-2014, 9:10 AM Reply   
Trying to clean the white vinyl on my boat. What is the best vinyl cleaner? Im thinking of using the magic eraser. I know some people advise against it. I have white leather couches at home (bad decision) and I tried everything under the sun to get them clean. Nothing worked. Finally tried the magic eraser and instantly cleaned them with no effort at all. Almost made them look new again. So Im thinking why not my boat vinyl.
What does everyone use?
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-12-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
Malco Leather and Plastic cleaner with a scrub brush. . . it has done me well for the past 5 years.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-12-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
http://www.driventoperfection.com/products Driven products worked well on my white upholstery in My Supra.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2014, 10:41 AM Reply   
I second Malco....although I have never used anything else. Other people use Totally Awesome which can be found at dollar stores or some of the Boat Bling products.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-12-2014, 11:27 AM Reply   
The Totally Awesome is just that....works great. And it's only like 3 bucks for a gallon of it.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-12-2014, 12:06 PM Reply   
Krud Kutter without bleach at WALMART!!!!!!!!!!!!
then wipe down with wet rag after.
then i use any conditioner from Walmart.

I had no idea how dirty my vinyl was untill i used it
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-12-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
star brite vinyl cleaner & polish with a scouring pad,,,,,,,,,,, youtube it, it is amazing, only thing that took mold out of seats on my boat after trying about 10 diff things

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Star-bri...item3cdecab25f
Old     (robeport)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-12-2014, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf4242 View Post
Malco Leather and Plastic cleaner with a scrub brush. . . it has done me well for the past 5 years.

This stuff is no joke. Makes your vinyl look new again!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-12-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
Dawn dish soap. All the manufactures recommend it too. I used it side by side with totally awesome. Worked a lot better.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2014, 1:44 PM Reply   
Don't bother with Malco... Save your money and get totally awesome at the 1$ store... It is the same stuff.
Get that and a good brush while you are at the $1 store. You will spend $2 and your vinyl will look brand new. Spray it very liberal and then brush and then grab a towel and wipe it clean....
Do a search on this forum. There are a lot of posts about this conversation
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-12-2014, 2:47 PM Reply   
Other folklore solutions out there include vinegar or hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, sunlight, or leave overnight in a heavy dew ... and so on.

But forget about all that if you have mold stains that Malco won't lighten one bit (as I did ... and still do to a lesser degree).

I've gone to soft scrub with bleach ... in the sun about 5 - 10 minutes, wipe off thoroughly and slather in protectant.

That's what my Cobalt dealership taught me. The Nautique factory also uses bleach.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       06-12-2014, 3:27 PM Reply   
I have tried them all Driven with hot water and a vinyl brush is the best I have found . Its the only one that got the red clay tint off without damage to the vinyl. NEVER use magic eraser it is a abrasive and will harm your vinyl after continued use.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-12-2014, 11:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
star brite vinyl cleaner & polish with a scouring pad,,,,,,,,,,, youtube it, it is amazing, only thing that took mold out of seats on my boat after trying about 10 diff things

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Star-bri...item3cdecab25f
I have the same problem and I've been trying the totally awesome with no luck. I just ordered some of the star brite. I hope it works.
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2014, 3:54 AM Reply   
For the past 2 years I have been cleaning my vinyl with dawn dish soap and water. I usually don't even have to scrub that hard. I just mix it in a bucket of warm water.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-13-2014, 4:07 AM Reply   
totally awesome diluted 50/50 then some 303. Dont use magic eraser. Its abrasive and eventually you will see the affects.
Old     (Motosno963)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-13-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
dont use the eraser, i use to as well and from what i was told it kills the UV protectent thats in the vinyl and thats why after a while it dries out and cracks..right now i have been using the 3M mildew remover and a nice brush..its worked with getting that mildew off.. im also about to order some BABES and use that as well, i have the seat conditioner and it looks good ( and smells delish haha)
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-15-2014, 5:58 AM Reply   
3M Marine Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer and a brush. I was amazed by how well it works.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-15-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
No **** you do side by side with dawn and any other products your mentioning and dawn will out perform. I've used ta,babes,and some other product dawn by far worked better and is totally non abrasive
Old     (boardstiff)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
I use a hand held shark steam cleaner on mine. No chemicals and it works great!
After I rub on some 3m vinyl protector and my vinyl looks new in my 05 SANTE!
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2014, 8:01 PM Reply   
Im going to have to try the dawn/warm water combo next time. this is what ive used:

3M Vinyl: It's ok, smells good. more for a light cleaning, maybe after a boating day or just before.

Babes Vinyl Cleaner: Very similar to 3M except i thought it works just a tad better and paired w/ the vinyl protector its a pretty good cleaner. Still not for deep cleaning but pretty good stuff.

Malco Plastic/Leather cleaner: Stuff is AMAZING, made my vinyl like new again, I def recommend for a once a year deep clean and then use the other products above in-between

Totally Awesome ($1 stuff) - i know everyone says its "just like" malco but way cheaper. I'll agree that its close to malco, i found malco to work better and didnt take as much elbow grease/scrubbing as the totally awesome takes. but w/ enough sprayed on and scrubbing it can work just as good.

(after using malco or totally awesome you MUST put on a vinyl protectant. Either Babes or i also use the Aerospace stuff.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       06-16-2014, 3:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
No **** you do side by side with dawn and any other products your mentioning and dawn will out perform. I've used ta,babes,and some other product dawn by far worked better and is totally non abrasive
What ratio are you mixing the dawn to water?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Just used Vinyl Sauce, this weekend. It was awesome!! Melted the dirt right off my vinyl, def going to be using this as my new vinyl cleaner!!
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-16-2014, 10:47 AM Reply   
I have also use the vinyl sauce but found the 3m cleaner/restorer to work way better and it readily available.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
I think the brush is what really helps any of these cleaners since the vinyl has a texture to it and a rag just goes over the top whereas the brush really digs the dirt out.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-16-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
Babe's seat soap followed by Seat Saver. You won't be disappointed!
Old     (Motosno963)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-16-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
i have seat saver and man does that stuff smell yummy lol
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-17-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
I tried the Totally Awesome and thought the 3M vinyl cleaner did a better job.
Old     (Motosno963)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-17-2014, 4:50 PM Reply   
i just tried straight dawn on the seat..works well..will go back over with a wet rag and wipe her down then the babes saver
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-17-2014, 8:12 PM Reply   
Simple Green
Awesome (dollar store, yellow spray bottle)