Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-19-2014, 9:44 PM Reply   
We bought an A24 in August and have put almost a hundred hours on the boat since we bought it. We are keeping up on oil changes etc and have not had any issues until the past 2 times to the lake. Both times while ideling in to load the boat the temp went from about 160's to 220 within about 3-4 minutes. If we turn the boat around and give it some throttle it cools right back down quickly but when we are ideling the boat we are getting an Engine fault light due to overheating. This is with an LS3 Salt Water edition Engine. First time boat owner and don't want to damage something so hoping I can get some ideas from all of you. Any ideas of what to look for? I suspect we may be done for the season so will be looking to winterize soon but do we need to look into getting it fixed before winterizing it or wait until next season?

Love this boat...
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-19-2014, 9:56 PM Reply   
Do you have a heater? When I bought my a22 with LS3 I read about over heating issues with the LS3's that have heaters installed. I have an pump that pushes coolant to the heater. Also, I have two coolant reservoir tanks, one is the standard non-pressurized canister and the other is a full on pressurized coolant reservoir. Not sure if that was a fix for something?
Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-19-2014, 10:10 PM Reply   
No heater on my A24...
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-20-2014, 4:56 AM Reply   
Is it still under warranty?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-20-2014, 5:32 AM Reply   
I would say its possible you have some weeds/ debris in the cooling passages.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-20-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
On my old 92 Ski Nautique if the impeller fails you can get rubber bits clogging up the thermostat.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-20-2014, 8:10 AM Reply   
I'd say either impeller, or like RB said, possibly something blocking the intake. Also, for some reason, if I'm sitting at idle with my blowers on, my temp gauge always shows 15-20 degrees higher than when they're off.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-20-2014, 8:23 AM Reply   
@montgomery. You likely have a ground issue with your gauges. Mine jumps that same 15-20 degree's(even does it slowly) when I turn the lights on. When is reality the temp never moves. Its in the gauge and the dealer told me its likely a ground. Turn the lights off and its settles right back to 160. If yours is doing the same with the blower on you likely have a similar problem.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-20-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
Ah hah! Good call. I've never bothered investigating, usually due to laziness lol. I'll have to check that out, now that I'm done for the season.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-20-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
Yep, my gauges get goofy when I turn on accessories.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-20-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine bought a new Prostar this year. His would overheat when idling. Turned out to be a faulty thermostat.

Just figured I'd pass that along
Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-21-2014, 12:48 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. It's a 2014 and still under warranty so we will take it to the dealer. It's a Marine Power LS3 motor. I'm thinking impeller also but might as well have the dealer fix it under warranty. Thanks for all the suggestions..
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-21-2014, 1:28 AM Reply   
Are you sure it's MP? When I asked last year I was told that the 2014 salt series motor was indmar, even though MP is also partially closed.
Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-21-2014, 10:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Are you sure it's MP? When I asked last year I was told that the 2014 salt series motor was indmar, even though MP is also partially closed.
Yes. 100% it's a Marine Power