Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
Okay, so here is my scenario. Looks like we are having an unusually strong cold front coming in this weekend. I have my boat in a slip on a mountain lake. Temperatures Saturday and Sunday(the coldest days) are forecast to be the following 52/34 & 49/34. The boat is “in the water” which is approx. 58 degrees at present(assume this will help insulate).

Do you think it is advisable to pull the boat out of the water and bring it down to the Valley, which will not get anywhere near freezing? On the other hand, do you feel I am worrying over nothing?

For those saying, “It isn’t even going to get to freezing”……I will assume that weather.com “could” be off 5 degrees and wouldn’t be thrown off the net…..
Old    walt            05-26-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
It would have to be a hard freeze for a few days to have a problem. If it were Me I wouldn't worry about it to much.

If your really worried about it go up and fire it up in the early evening and let it get up to operating temp. It's amazing how long a block will stay hot in a bilge.

Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-26-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
Good advice Walt..
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-26-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
The boat would have to get below freezing for some time to hurt. I'd be careful with the several days part - My dad had a tractor freeze over night when I was a kid - temperature went from 40 to 25 overnight block was cracked wide open by 8 am. The tractor was setting in an open barn and there was no protection around the engine like there is in a boat.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-26-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
EJ,
You need to take it out and come down to St. George for the weekend. Even with the cold front, we are going to be 80+ degrees.

I think it is going to be windy, so it actually may be a bad boating weekend.

I suspect that your block will be fine. If someone could get access to an extension cord, you could do the old light bulb in the engine compartment thing.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-26-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
I don't winterize my boat in California. During the winter we have many nights that get down in the 20's. Even when I wake up with lawns being completely frosted over and windshields frosted over the boat motor does not get close to freezing. One night about 4 months ago it was down in the low 20's and I started to get nervous so I went out to the boat around midnight and put my drop light in the motor box. What really surprised me was how warm the motor compartment was when I popped the cover, it felt really comfortable, maybe 40-50 degrees. Since I was already there I put the drop light in anyway.

Based on my experience you only need to worry when the temperature in the daytime stays below freezing for more than a couple days with little sun.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-26-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
i didn't winterize my boat this year. light in the box kept it warm on cold nights. i think you're fine, but i'd probably put one in there just to be safe
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
I wish Larry.... No power at my slip, I have a little one.....they only have power for the cruiser slips.

80's here today though....and I will be on the lake after my son gets out of school.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-26-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
If mine were on Jordanelle... I would not worry. especially running it Friday night.

Maybe just go to Willard Sunday.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
That is exactly where it is Cooper.

I fear that Sunday is not going to be a great day..... In fact, I thought every day but today is going to stink....