Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-08-2015, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'm about to move to a small private lake. I know there is a few boats that are old bayliners or similar with wake towers on the lake. But most houses have small fishing boats.

I'm wonder if I buy surf boat and it makes a big wave on shore if they'll make wakesurfing illegal and then I'll have a useless boat. Has this ever happened? What could you do to fight it? How big are the waves after say 50ft of travel?

Also it's a rule to drive counter clockwise. There's maybe a 1 mile straight stretch. How would you goofy surf if your always turning left except the straight stretch ?

Just seeing if anyone has encountered these things. I'm in process of looking for a great slightly used surf boat
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-10-2015, 3:28 AM Reply   
I'm living your exact situation. The wave doesn't seem to be a big deal at the shore. The biggest part is moving toward the center of the lake.
I also like to ride goofy. Now I ride regular. It's the only fix for that. The good news is I can ride either way and it doesn't feel weird anymore.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-10-2015, 5:37 AM Reply   
As long as the wake doesn't erode the shoreline, you don't "wave out" the local fishermen, and keep the music down you should be fine.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-10-2015, 5:48 AM Reply   
What are your laws on how close you can ride to docks, boats, etc? That would be my first concern as most places are between 50-100 feet. Secondly you do not want to go out there and pissing all the other home owners off if your wave is screwing up their docks or boats. How big is the lake?

Also did you check to make sure there were not any size requirements for the lake? HP, boat length, etc. My brother moved to a small private lake and they can only have small boats and low HP motors. You cannot take a wakeboading boat on his lake.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-10-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
Lake size is a big deal... Also make sure it's nice and deep... Would blow to find out its 10ft deep for most of it. I'd try not to throw a massive wave into someone's dock, yard. Are the properties edged with riprap? That would be optimal.

Anyway, even if you are good to go don't be an ass.. Last thing you want is to move in and immediately raise hell. Quickly make some unneeded enemies. Neighbors can save your ass in lots of ways and the last thing you want is for John to remember how you messed up his boat with a wave when he sees storm damage while youre on vacation
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-10-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Personally, I think you are playing with fire. I think you have a high risk of a ban. As long as you have a proper lake as a backup, I saw go for it. However, if you don't I wouldn't take the risk.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
It sounds like you'd end up being the most unpopular guy on the lake after a few passes. This might sound crazy, but if I were in your situation I'd consider getting an inboard and putting a slalom course in. Slalom courses are crazy fun and challenging and it would be easy to maintain on a small, private lake.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-10-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
Not to mention, that after they ban you, you are going to HATE your neighbors and want to move. I almost came to this spot when the ARB denied my solar panels (later reversed by the full board). Nothing pisses you off more than to be restricted from what you want to do in your own neighborhood.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-11-2015, 9:31 AM Reply   
All depends on where you are and the individual rules. Historically private lakes were built into subdivisions for water retention/flood control and possibly multiple recreational use. Private lakes often can mean private and state laws do not apply. Again this depends on where you are at. But someone is in charge and that group could very easily decide wake surfing and wake boarding are no bueno. Yes, it has happened, both on private lakes and many small public or semi-public lakes.

As some pointed out the most important aspect is the depth of the lake and whether some or most of it is fairly stable depth; changes in depth in shallow lakes is what kills the wake.

Shoreline armoring is in reality the worse possible scenario. Virtually all types are standard armoring whether a bulkheads or dumped riprap resonate wave energy back and forth creating a washing machine, and undercutting the bank. The erosion is less noticeable until catastrophic failure. A natural shoreline with native aquatic macrophytes and native trees and a nice gradual slope is the best scenario. However, these rarely exist. Modern shoreline armoring systems/best practices use 'natural' slopes and curves to absorb wave energy.

Wave energy travels and keeps traveling. The energy can be more quickly dissipated in a shallow water system. The shallower water takes the 'legs' out of the wave as it travels. However, if it hits an abrupt rise or depth change in the shoreline the energy will also jump and crash. In a deep system, more of the energy reaches the shore, ATCE.

I would watch what activities are done on the lake on any given weekend. And yes, boat generated waves under the right circumstances can literally rip apart your average poorly maintained wooden dock.

Nick
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-11-2015, 4:33 PM Reply   
Reason I'm asking this question is because I don't want to be the bad guy on the lake... I'm moving there but my grandma has lived on the same lake since I was born. So I do know quite a bit.

It's a mixture of sloped hills or those concrete landscape blocks for bulkhead.

It's 50 ft. From shore for boating.

No restriction on boats except no open muffler boats. A guy used to have a loud racing boat then that got created.

Lake depth is 15 to 30 feet deep. But at shoreline it's gradually sloped to 15 ft

I used to bring my sanger v215 out there loaded down for wakeboarding. No one ever complained except 1 guy about the music. And not how loud it was just what type it was lol

How much worse is a surf wave compared to a wakeboard wave when it hits shore 75ft away. Is it going to hurt boats or destroy shorelines?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-11-2015, 11:03 PM Reply   
Current state of the science is as expected. Size of the boat and speed of the boat have the greatest effect on wave energy. Go figure.

Sounds like you will be OK.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-12-2015, 8:23 AM Reply   
From your information there is no natural wildlife on the shoreline there anyway, so they probably won't be as anal about erosion than if there where.

"The wave height is related to a variety of factors including the size and speed of the boat, hull shape, draft of the boat (which is strongly influenced by the amount of ballast and number of passengers, particularly in the case of the wakeboard boats), water depth, and distance from the boat to the shoreline. "
Davis lake shorline erosion study

Last edited by King12; 07-12-2015 at 8:26 AM.