Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2017, 3:43 AM Reply   
Just trying to decide wich pair I should get.
I listened both at the dealer but obviously not at wakeboard distance. Just popping up the volume few sec to not bother everyone in the place.
It's not a fair comparaison but they sounded pretty close.

I only have personal experience with WS tower speaker.
I know JL audio is a top notch audio company but I never heard of Roswell.

Any thoughts? The look ain't bothering me, sound quality at surf and wakeboard distance is more important.
Neptune have no grill (maybe less reliable or it's just the look) but they have a LED ring.
Are JL 7.7 really worth the extra $

Thanks

Last edited by Mike88; 08-17-2017 at 3:49 AM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-17-2017, 4:59 AM Reply   
I don't know how much more the JLs are, but I love my Neptune's.

I am no audiophile, but I think they sound great at the end of a line.

The LEDs are just plain cool. You could spend even more and get LED rings for the JLs, but why?

My dealer (Buxton) is who did the purchase and install on the Roswell. If its good enough for them, it's good enough for me. They have a lot more experience in this than I do, and it's what they used.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-17-2017, 6:48 AM Reply   
My buddy has 4 JL 8.8s on his '16 G and they sound real good in the boat and at surf distance. I haven't had the chance to hear them at wakeboard distance, but real clean and good lows for a 8"' speaker.

Just a quick search showed a pair of Neptune 8.0s for around $1,500 and a pair of JL 8.8s for right at $1,100.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-17-2017, 7:28 AM Reply   
I really like both listed... I favor the Neptune's with the lighting option that come with them.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-17-2017, 7:39 AM Reply   
Neptunes are louder but A touch brighter.

I prefer neptunes
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2017, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
sound quality at surf and wakeboard distance is more important.
The JL 7.7 is smallish 8" coaxial with a traditional tweeter. One pair is not going to get the job done at wake range. I would suggest 2 pair of 8.8. Now, compare the price range you are into.

A single pair of 8" neptunes are going to just get the job done. They do have a compression tweeter with a horn flare, but its a short flare compared to something like the Wet Sounds Rev 8 or 10. IMO, this puts the Neptune between a traditional coax and an HLCD. The Neptune tweeter does handle more power then a dome tweeter, so it has more output, but I think the short flare allow its cone of projection to be wider then other HLCDs. This impacts wake range projection a little.

If you want the best of both worlds, go with a single pair of 10" Wet Sounds Rev-10.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-17-2017, 8:18 AM Reply   
^ That's where my money would go.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2017, 8:21 AM Reply   
Hey mike Long time no see,
good to hear from you!

As I was expected the pair of rev 10 was the perfect match haha.. but Nautique doesn't have WS option.
I founded the rev10's pretty big tho maybe too much for clearance and I dont listen music crazy lound either so a little downgrade to a pair of 8's seemed a good cost effective idea. Just need to decide JL or Roswell. JL 8,8 are just too expensive. Price match is 2 JL 7,7 or 2 Neptune 8.0
Thanks for the advice. Again haha
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-17-2017, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Just need to decide JL or Roswell. JL 8,8 are just too expensive. Price match is 2 JL 7,7 or 2 Neptune 8.0
Thanks for the advice. Again haha
Where are you price matching from? Straight from the Roswell and JL sites a pair of Neptunes are $1800 and a pair of JL 8.8's are $1100. You could easily get two pars of 7.7's for the price of a pair of Neptunes
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-17-2017, 10:12 AM Reply   
Who's your dealer?
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2017, 10:41 AM Reply   
Guess in eastern Canada price are different. I have here from rosewell Canada pair of neptune 2 200$ And from JL audio.ca pair of 8.8 2 981$
Don't have the 7.7 on their site but guessing they gonna be in the same price range of the Neptune because of the high difference with the 8.8.
Maybe our Nautique dealer have better deals with rosewell too. don't know.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
I dont listen music crazy lound either
Quote:
wakeboard distance is more important.
If you want to hear it at wake range, you sure will be listening to it loud. only way to make it loud in your ears and not loud everywhere else, is a pair of ear buds. No way around.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2017, 7:07 PM Reply   
Yeah I understand mike !
When I was saying surf and wakeboard distance was generally. Yes when we wakeboard we listening music loud but we ain't wakeboarding much.
What I was trying to say is performance interest me more than the look. And if one time I need to pop up the volume for a wakeboard ride are they gonna do the job.
Sorry for misunderstanding!

Last edited by Mike88; 08-17-2017 at 7:08 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2017, 7:18 PM Reply   
But that's crazy. I don't understand why Everyone seems to have JL 8.8 for less than Neptune
But for my Nautique 210 it came with a pair of Neptune 8.0 or they can change them for a pair of JL 7.7 for a little extra.

Oh I think I understand.... maybe he said 2pairs of 7.7
Yeah that's why.. sorry guys my mistake!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2017, 10:07 AM Reply   
For best sound close up, id go with the jl 7.7 or 8.8 coaxial. For better wake board projection the neptune HLCD will do the job better.

For the best all around sound quality AND wake range volume, the wet Sounds Rev-10 is the best. Its a may be a lesser cost as well.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2017, 11:10 AM Reply   
Contact these guys for your local Wet Sounds dealer. They should be able to help you further with the Nautique tower speaker options.

https://www.trendsinc.com/Store
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-19-2017, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Just trying to decide wich pair I should get.
I listened both at the dealer but obviously not at wakeboard distance. Just popping up the volume few sec to not bother everyone in the place.
It's not a fair comparaison but they sounded pretty close.

I only have personal experience with WS tower speaker.
I know JL audio is a top notch audio company but I never heard of Roswell.

Any thoughts? The look ain't bothering me, sound quality at surf and wakeboard distance is more important.
Neptune have no grill (maybe less reliable or it's just the look) but they have a LED ring.
Are JL 7.7 really worth the extra $

Thanks
You are correct in that JL Audio is a top notch audio company. I truly believe that JL Audio has more technical resources and know-how than any other mobile audio company. The 'T' version of the JL Audio 7.7 is a very good sounding tower speaker. Better midbass than many larger speakers. A warmer, smoother, more balanced, more musical sound....especially when powered by 150 to 175 watts each. Great for near field listening. But just not enough output for wake range. If you need the kind of output that projects to wake range without over-driving the speaker, and without having to run multiple pairs, then go directly to Wetsounds as the correct and best speaker for this particular job.