Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    mobster            03-01-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-01-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Cool. Fits in a briefcase IMO.
Old    surfdad            03-01-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
Cool concept and what a gorgeous board! I like the simplicity of the "clamp" over the Pope Bisects. Although, I'm not quite sure how it works. The two plates look to be the nuts from a longboard fin. I'm not what the guy is doing with the fin wrench and how that would hold the clamp in place. Anyone have an idea how it works?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       03-01-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
the 2 metal plates are threaded opposite each other. he is turning a screw with the fin wrench. essentially turning one direction pulls the plates together and the other way pushes them apart. common in the furniture industry.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-01-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Cool idea, but I'm wondering where he got it from.

The system is almost identical to one some younger surfer created.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
Cool, SD will be the next to make one.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-01-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Why not a board that we can split into a top and bottom layer so we can fit them in our racks!
Old    surfdad            03-02-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
Ed! you know me too well! :-)

I found the build threads over at Sway's and Compsand.com. The clamp isn't that furniture system Liljohn, if you can point me to that, I'd be grateful. What they did was drill out one of the fin plates, then the fin wrench has a right angle bent into it. The wrench is inserted into that allenhead screw and then rotated rail to rail, not tail-to-nose.

Pretty interesting.

Upload
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       03-02-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
same principle as these. with a little more digging you can find an exact match we use them for counter tops, cabs, etc.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Fasteners%20%26%20Screws/CatID/FastCap%20Joint%20Fasteners/SubCatID/Flip%20Boltthe

(Message edited by liljohn on March 02, 2009)
Old    surfdad            03-02-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
Thanks liljohn. This is an interesting method for clamping that liljohn pointed me to.

Upload
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       03-02-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Jeff anytime I get a chance to help you I'm in. I love all the crazy things you try. curious what comes of all these boards you build?
Old    surfdad            03-03-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Thanks liljohn.

I think the vast majority of boards, I cannibalize for parts and chuck the carcass :-) A few I've given away to some of James' friends and others await "frankenstien"'ish retrofits. :-)

The vast majority of the super lightweight boards I tried over the last year or so, broke. :-) I do a post-moretem surgery on them to see where and how they broke and then, salvage the traction, HD foam and fin boxes. What's left goes to the landfill. :-) Those that didn't break I still have. The flamed board compsand is going to hang in my office. The skate deck inspired graphic board is waiting for the installation of some C-5's, so...it's a work-in-process. I'll most likely keep that board for me! :-)

The current framed board, if it sort of works, I will cannibalize it to retrieve the carbon stringers, and then attempt to make a mold from them so that I can reproduce the stringers...sort of a prefabricated set of stringers that could be made thicker or thinner or even a variable thickness running the length of the stringer . For example; at the nose maybe 2 plies, 5 plies through the midsection and then say 3 out the tail).
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-03-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
I'd like to see a 3 part board that will fit in a standard sized large suitcase for air travel resulting in no add-on charges. If anyone has seen one, please post.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-03-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
we hardly ever get charged extra (more than the new $25 fee for any 2nd check-in) for skimboards
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-08-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
he he check out this carbon beast
http://www.carbonfibergear.com/c2-collapsible-carbon-fiber-surfboard/

nice but I think that all bisects are no more progressively flexible as they should be throught all foil!!! So you got nice traveler board but it is to much stiff What you think?
Old    surfdad            03-09-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
I think hat the bisect's use a rod where the stringer would be AND typically the boards spilt at the thick point, which would be the stiffest part of the board. I think you're right Petr, the flex is very different at the point of the spilt, if there is flex at all.

We saw this little row/fishing boat on he ramp. It's a little hard to see, but look in the back of the pickup first, then to the second half of the boat on the ramp! :-)

Upload
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-11-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
I bought a ZAP skimboards bag for my surfboards. I learned if you tell them it is a surfboard they nail you on baggage charges, but if it is a skimboard they have no special charges for it