Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-04-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
I am building a "no compromise" AR-15. This is what I have so far. Post pics of your AR-15s... there is nothing cooler than a tricked out AR.

Gun (will be here on Monday, stand-by for pics)
Knights Armament SR-15 (Limited Edition in OD Green)

Optic
Trijicon ACOG 4X32 ARMY RCO-M150 (waiting on the gun)

Light
Not sure yet.. probably a Surefire M720V RAID Weapon Light or maybe the lighter M300A Mini Scout Light

The nice thing about the SR-15 is there really isn't anything that needs to be replaced. It is pretty much world class the way it comes from the factory.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-05-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Are you gonna keep it normal looking or are you going to tacti-cool it out?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-05-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Yeah, mine is super basic, as a still stock (probably not for too long though) Smith and Wesson M&P 15
I could buy two of my rifles for the price of your scope alone! (not saying I wouldn't love to have it though!)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Booya!
Attached Images

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-05-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Riley - What is that top one???
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
CX4 Storm .40
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
http://www.cx4storm.com/
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-05-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Very nice! Currently looking for a pistol for the wife to carry while hunting (getting to be more and more mountian lion's around here) and not sure which way to go, she's just scared of my .45!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
That little revolver is my wifes carry gun, she loves it! No hot shells hitting her and it fits in her purse. Beretta .38 special
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-05-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
Spikes Lower. Giselle trigger. Brownels lpk. Magpul furniture. Upper is a Lewis Machine and Tool. Red dot is a Primary Arms. Acog wanted, but the funds are currently not there for this. This gun is a tack driver. The LMT upper dead balls on accurate. Gun will not cycle with crap ammo such as Tula or Wolf steel cased laquer coated stuff. LOVES to eat any brass ammo. Which It deserves. The Giselle trigger is incredible. So crisp, no creep, no gritty feel. Well worth the money. Currently waiting for my NFA stamp/paperwork to clear and get here for the supressor for this AR.!!!
I built this myself. I have 4 Spikes lowers in my safe ready for winter projects. One is going to be a 300 Blackout. One is going to be a rifle length with 20' barrel.

Last edited by colorider; 10-05-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: fg
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-05-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
Nice Andrew!! Gieselle is a top-notch AR trigger. My new KAC has a 2 stage 4.5 lb match trigger that sells for $300 by itself so I am betting it will be a decent trigger. I really like LMT. The ACOG looks pretty sweet. I have always been an Eotech guy but wanted to mix it up with an ACOG on this one. I hear great things about the Aimpoint T1 too. I have never tried one. The ACOG was $1300 which is pretty pricey in my book. I better love the damn thing!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
This thread reminds me I have no pics of my recently acquired AR, must change that.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-07-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Found this yesterday at the gun show. It is very rare to see high-end weapons like this so I jumped on it. Damn, I also have a KAC SR-15 coming this week. Gun budget for 2013 blown in Oct of 2012! This sucker is sweet!
Attached Images

Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-09-2012, 7:22 AM Reply   
Haha! My buddy and I saw that at the big show and were drooling over it. Can't believe you picked it up!!!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-09-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
This is definitely on my list of things to pick up if my bonus works out to my liking this year.

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this:
Attached Images

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-12-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Just bought my first stripped lower to build something modern to go with my all original sp1.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-12-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Here she is... Knight Armament SR-15 with an ACOG. I am bringing both new guns to the range tomorrow! Should be fun.
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-16-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
OK.... Damn, that Noveske is sexy as f&%k!!!! Nice choices, my friend.

You guys have seen my AR's, though #5 has yet to get to the range. Just built a 16" Middy with a A1 stock and Wilson stainless barrel. Should be a shooter. I love AR's. I like building them almost as much as shooting them. I really do think I need a LaRue OBR, though. 7.62 please. I almost bought one a couple weeks back when I went to pick up a lower. As I was walking in a guy bought it..... Oh well, I should have bought it when I bought the lower.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-17-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Rob - That thing is sick!!
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-17-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
Thanks! That gun is so light I put an Aimpoint T1 on it with a Seekins mount and put the ACOG on the Noveske. The KAC is so light and easy to carry it needed an ultra light optic versus the ACOG. I was actually going to pull the trigger on an Elcan SpecterDR but that thing was much heavier than even an ACOG.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-17-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
My jealous level just hit a new high.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-17-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
Ok, Ok... Here's AR #5:

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-17-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
Here's #4, and how she shoots at 100 yards:

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-17-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
Ok, and my favorite..... #3: Sorry for the blurry pics.

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-17-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Sweet guns!! That is a hell of a group at 100 yards. You are using magnification on all of them? I was on fence but have the 4X ACOG as my only one with magnification. I can't wait to try the Aimpoint T1. It does 1/3 co-witness with the excellent KAC irons and is just so damn light. I am thinking of selling both of my Eotechs and going with an Aimpoint Comp4 on my Bushmaster. I have no issue with the Eotechs, just thinking I prefer the less cluttered dot.

I will take some better pics tonight and post them with my other AR.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2012, 8:15 PM Reply   
A couple of mine.
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-17-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
Great looking guns, Barry.

Rob, I have two with magnification and two without. The first pic is an iron sight gun. I have another M4 style gun that has a Aimpoint PRO. It's a great shooter, too. Honestly I think the 1-4x optic is perfect for the 5.56. It's efffective on "man-size" targets out to 600+ yards, but can be used close in, too. The 2.5-10 will allow you to shrink your targets down and get a bit further out. For my application I haven't needed anything with more than 10x mag. I like the fact that 2.5x can be used close in, also, in a pinch.

My 18" gun is a shooter. It groups really well once I found some handloads it liked. I think it can do better, that's only the third load that I've tried. I was pretty impressed for a gas gun. Some would argue that you have to go to a bolt gun to get groups like that. For what it's worth, that group was off a bench with a bi-popd and rear bag. I'm sure it could shoot better from a vise, but I like more real world applications where the shooter is actually involved.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-31-2012, 6:45 PM Reply   
Original Colt SP1. Great gun but not a great gun to throw behind the seat of the farm truck and shoot varmits or anything else with.

I had the upper for the new gun already so I threw some new magpul furniture at it. I bought a cheap aerospace lower, put a dpms lower kit in, cheap bolt, charging handle, a magpul collapsible stock and pistol grip. Also bought a new flash hider but I thought is was going to be black I will throw some paint on it. All in all the second gun cost me about $300 and an evening worth of work.
Attached Images

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2012, 10:23 PM Reply   
Got a Burris AR 332 today, need to hit the range next!
LMT upper
Rockriver Lower
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-28-2012, 11:46 PM Reply   
Okay I don't understand the point of having guns like these even though I 100% support everyone's right to own them. I just don't get the reason for it unless Obama came knockin. JK. Am I missing out on something? Besides some awesome target shooting fun, what's in it? Are they THAT much fun?
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-29-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
"tacticool" LOL Lots of fun in these pics.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-29-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
Mark, My brother-in-law grew up building models. As an adult he builds guns. He enjoys ordering parts, tuning and assembling at a his work bench, loading his own ammo and taking them to the range. By any standards the best assault rife doesn't stand a chance against the equipment and trained men in the military. Heck if you want to talk deadly consider my 300 Weatherby. I've goofed around with that rifle at 400+ yards and it was extremely effective. If you have gone through all of the legal tax stamps etc, you don't plan on doing anything illegal and if "Obama" wants them he knows where to find them. Tactical firearms are fun and a never-ending project. You can tinker with them at home and use them at a range. My Weatherby on the other-hand is done. I shoot about 9-12 through it a year and take it elk hunting every few years when I can.

I don't own one, but I do see the appeal.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-29-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
I just recently joined the krazy 922r club in getting a cheap SKS. Its been fun putting together and looking for parts I am still waiting on the scope which should be here Friday. I am not normally an AW guy but thought the price was cheap for a entry level Norinko SKS so I went for it. Thinking about an Colt M4 next, but want to finish this and try it out. Sorry to hi-jack with non AR.
Attached Images

Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-29-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Top 2 are 300 BLK
Bottom 2 are 5.56
Variety of parts used in them. Rock River Lower on Green 556. Black 556 is Surplus Arms/Ammo
300s are AllStar Tactical lower and Spikes Tactial lowers.
Only the Green 556 was bought as a complete upper (DPMS). Others were assembled by me. I always have a gunsmith do final work like putting gas tube in/barrel nut and ensuring bolt headspace is proper.
Also have a .223 20" Bull Barrel setup for target/predator. its a heavy beast but a tack driver
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Okay I don't understand the point of having guns like these even though I 100% support everyone's right to own them. I just don't get the reason for it unless Obama came knockin. JK. Am I missing out on something? Besides some awesome target shooting fun, what's in it? Are they THAT much fun?
Go watch the movie red dawn. Yes it's just a movie. Will it happen? Hopefully not. Could it happen? Sure can. So can an uprise is dictatorship within our own country. Were not to far off from either scenario these days. It's our 2nd amendment right to arm ourselves for protection.

In response to Obama coming knocking to take them, there is also a law in there stating we can legally manufacture our own weapons without registration or any paper trail providing the weapon is not sold or given away. There are many manufacturers that u can buy parts from built to 80% and you don't have to register them. It's up to you to finish the last 20%
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Duh, so the wife knows what to buy for presents
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-29-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
The only people Ive ever heard ask such a thing are those who have never shot one. Have you shot one before? If not, go to a range, rent one, put 100rds through one, then report back here. Please include which make and model your ordering and how you plan to justify it to the significant other.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-30-2012, 12:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ssr View Post
The only people Ive ever heard ask such a thing are those who have never shot one. Have you shot one before? If not, go to a range, rent one, put 100rds through one, then report back here. Please include which make and model your ordering and how you plan to justify it to the significant other.
Yep. I'm one who has never shot one. The last gun I ever shot was a 4-10 shotgun while pheasant hunting for the first time (by myself without a dog.) I scared up a pheasant and shot it from the hip. I figured I'd go out on top. Never hunted or shot again... Not sure I need another hobby that the misses doesn't take part in... She already hates the water so I'm treading on thin ice by spending what I do on the boat/boarding. Also, not sure I can find a parallel to guns that she can even relate to. I may be able to push the self defense thing but, who knows?