Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
I'm just starting out. I'm looking for a board that my family and I can share, if possible. I'm 5 "10" 185 and the smallest is my son and he's 6 yrs old. I know that's a big range but thats what I'm working with. I dont know the difference between the 2 styles of riding but were mainly just gonna be slashin and maybe try to progress to some spins. Also this will be behind a 2k9 Supra 21v with about 600 lbs of ballast. I know I know its not nearly enough but the wife hates any ballast bags showing. So I need something that can be riden with not a lot of weight. Let me know what you think.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-12-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
they don't make a board for 50lbs. 6 yeaar old up to 185 lbs. you could probably get two used ones.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Haha I didn't think so. Could ride my board though? He's just starting out wakeboarding and I need something for him do do when he gets frustrated with it. Anyways what would be a good board for me? Surf/skim?
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Phase 5 Oogle has been for a good board for a variety of peeps on my boat. Looks skim, but feels more surfy than my old yellow loogey. Anyhow, thats just one of about 50 suggestions you are likely to get. We love the phase 5 goods. I am not sure though how it will hold up on a smaller wave/less weight in the boat. Something a little more floaty might help.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-12-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Walker makes a grom board. I have no idea what weight it is for. I think you should barrow and test what boards you like.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
Yeah unfortunately only one guy I ride with has a board. 09 Tsunomi. I got to ride 5 times, I'm still not ready to let go of the rope, ha ha sad I know.

I have a tendency to buy top off the line stuff before I'm ready so I was looking at the SS Comp1. Other then price is this board way out of league? Would I have problem with it being that I'm a beginner? I think I just like to spend money, ha ha.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
Fill your center ballast up full as well as your rear locker ballast on the surf side (and get everyone on that side at the back as well) and go about 10mph for starters. We started on a CWB ride and it was a good board to learn on. My 80lb kids could ride it but they could not control their speed so when they approached the rear of the boat they had to bail!
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Thanks john. I've never tried filling the front. I've got a 650 up front, ill try filling that. And I haven't messed with the wakeplate. I'm gonna try and put that all the way up and see if that makes a difference.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Hey Chad, the wakeplate has to be all the way up so the stern will sink. My previous boat was a 22' SSV and we found that using the center ballast lengthened the sweet spot. Having someone sitting on the rear corner with their feet on the platform really helps too but it is probably illegal.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-13-2010, 4:50 AM Reply   
Hey Chad,

try the moomba webite morums to get ballast setup on your boat,

mark
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-13-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have the SS comp1 and have had beginnners on it several times and the only problem we see is that the board is not as stable side to side and getting their balance may be slightly more difficult. Other than that I think it ends up being easier to learn due to it being easier to hold the wave and maintain speed. Some high end boards need to be pumped constantly to keep your speed but the comp1 is not one of those. Its not supposed to be a beginner board but I've taught beginners on it and it works. My only problem is that beginners have a higher chance of dinging up my board which makes me nervous cause I love it and its expensive.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-13-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Look at the phase5 scamp for your boy. My 6yr, 10yr, and 12yr daughter free ride it great. Really helped them learn to edge the board that they couldn't do on adult boards. 48-95lbs. About $200-$210 new. Won't drop much in value when you go to sell it.

My wife hates ballast bags showing too, so I had 2400lbs under seats LOL. I sized down and have about 1600lbs now and much safer (: I know those moomba/supra websites can help you with your wave.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-13-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
The Liquid Force Venture is a great board to start out with, it is also does very well on small to medium wakes.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-13-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
I'm hoping to get a used Comp1 "wink wink". The only other board I've been on was a Tsunami and it felt hard keep up with the wake. And as far as the kids board goes I think the scamp would be perfect.

Yeah hidden ballast is my only option. My buddy brought his 400 and the threw it on the seat and when he was filling it he took the vent cap off and got my wife all wet, LOL. The look on her face . . . PRICELESS.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-14-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Liquid Force Venture is an awesome starter board! the LF Fish is an awesome board too, a little more speed and response than the venture.