Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-01-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
Sunsetter vlx vs. Centurion elite v. The centurion owner says its an 06 elite air warrior, but it doesn't look like an 06 to me. I could be wrong though.

Malibu has 500 hours. Centurion has 250.

Both have perfect pass. Centurion owner says the perfect pass isn't holding speed well.

Malibu doesnt have ballast. Centurion has ballast.

Both boats are in good mechanical shape.

Prices are close and 20-22k on both.

Which do I buy and why?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-01-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
Does the Sunsetter VLX have the diamond hull? If so, it's better for skiing and worse for wakeboarding.

I was happy with my 2000 Wakesetter VLX for 10 years but did wish the wake was more steep (a personal preference).

No centurion experience so I will not comment on that boat.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-02-2011, 5:54 AM Reply   
It is a diamond hull. I know the other hull has a lippier wake, but I doubt I'll ever use either wake to its full potential anways.

I'm more concerned with determining which boat will be more reliable and trouble free. I plan to own the boat for a long time.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-02-2011, 7:09 AM Reply   
If it is in fact an Elite V on the newer hull I would go with the Centurion. If u have a link to the boat I can tell u instantly if its the old hill or the new hull. The Cemturion will have great stock solid intermediate wake with a crisp lip. It will surf way better, ride way more solid in chop, and be a much better all around multi sport boat in my opinion. Centurion made huge changes to their vinyl and build quality in 05-06. They are solid boats. Again this is all assuming its the newer Elite V hull not the old lightning/hurricane hull. Imo also if the centurion does not have the hydraulic wakeplate it would almost be a deal breaker unless the boat was priced extremely well enough tgat you would save enough to add the hydraulic one yourself.

I guarantee that if you sat in both and drove both, the Centurion would win. It be a much tougher competition if the bu was an 04-05

Last edited by xstarrider; 12-02-2011 at 7:18 AM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-02-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
http://m287.photobucket.com/albums/b...urion/?src=www

I know the pictures are baby sized. Thanks for the help!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-02-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure that is the older hull. So, with that cleared up, how does that change things?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-02-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
centurion not holding speed is a negative...but probably not to expensive to fix

malibu not having ballast is a huge negative imo...and probably expensive to fix

centurion's retarded (imo) bow that you have to step up to get into and jam your toes on every time is a huge negative (of course this one is a personal opionion...)...and impossible to fix

The centurion is possibly a better ride in chop...? That could be a much nicer average day. Malibu's are pretty good in chop though...but I am not sure of that vintage.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-02-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
Neither would be my ideal boat, but both sound like ok deals though from other prices I have seen.

Not having ballast in the Malibu isn't the end of the world. Just know that if you want plumbed in ballast you are going to spend 1000-2000 on it. this wouldnt' bother me too much as this way you can get it setup exactly how you want it and know that it is done right. Regardless of what people say having the diamond hull might not be that bad. It means it needs more weight to make a great wakeboard wake but it also is kind of a unique boat that is popular in some circles. It is one of the only options to get a pretty decent ski wake and a nice vdrive in the same package. It should be a very versatile boat. If you end up with it I would look into getting a wedge installed on it.

The Centurion not holding speed just means there is a component of the PP that isn't operating correctly. Does it read speed? If it doesn't the paddle wheel is probably stuck or smashed. Those Centurions weren't really known for doing anything very good. Wouldn't be a bad beginner vdrive and cruising boat. I don't think these Elite V's were known for having very good fit and finish when they first came out but this one is an 06. That is about when they started improving on that type of stuff in general. Not sure if they did that on the Elite V(non C4) though. I don't mind the walkthrough hump/ice chest as much as some. Sure it would be nice to have a full open walk through but it does add rigidity to the hull. This boat should ride in pretty solid in rough water, or better then the VLX at least. If the Centurion just has the under floor center ballast it is near worthless. I think it is like 200 or 250 pounds. Basically not worth the problems that having a tank under the floor could cause. You are porbably going to have to upgrade and/or redo the ballast anyways.

Assuming equal condition and someone putting a gun to my head I would probably choose the VLX. It should hold its value a little better.

Last edited by polarbill; 12-02-2011 at 8:05 AM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-02-2011, 8:13 AM Reply   
Lakes here don't get too choppy, not all that worried about that aspect.

I don't mind spending a few minutes filling sacs before a session in the vlx. I am pretty sure the amount of ballast in the centurion is probably the equivalent of 1 fat sac.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-02-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Yes that's def older hull. That changes things like this.

First off forgot to address the speed issue. Not sue what model pp is on that Centurion but Centurions are known for their ease of holding speeds. Especially that hull. I am mostly certainty you just need to adjust the settings to get it dialed in.

Ok now to the hull. It's is again going to give you a rock solid ride in the chop acids the lake,all day long. Like someone mentioned the cooler in the walkway may be annoying. I used it more for storage. However this cooler design is two fold. It gives the boat a huge amount of reinforcement at a critical part that adds to the rock solid ride. That cooler being in the mold allows the extra supports under the deck. While the newer hull give you advanced wake capabilities and a deeper interior, the older hull has at most indermediate rider wakes. The issue is that the hull can't really handle a tons of extra weight. The wake just starts to curl. However this older hull had one of the best stock wakes on the market. The sanger 210 and the nauty 210 back in early 2000's were the only boats to beat it out from my experience. Again that is just stock to stock. You will find the Centurion to have a much roomier interior and a bit more storage than the Vlx even with the older hull.

I would say the bu will beat it out if you are purely looking for an advanced level wake that you will use the boat for 80% or more wakeboarding. Even on the diamond hull. Plain and simple the bu can take 3 k worth of ballast and pump it up and be clear all the way to 85 ft. The Centurion will just not be able to clean up that well after about 1500-1700lbs. However the wake from the Centurion is going to be much more crisp and have a vertical kick like a nautique. The bu will also slalom a little better on the diamond hull.

The centurion will ride better, have more room, surf way better, and be a much better family oriented boat imo for beginners to intermediate riders. I can throw any of my 5 inverts and spins off the stock wake. As I said before......even more so on this hull. Hydraulic wakeplate is a must now I would also say the 3 tank ballast is also a must.

To sum it up if you are looking for a boat that 80% of the time you leave the dock and board all day the bu will edge it out as a core wakeboat. However if you ate looking for a boat that does a ton of things well, is a great multipurpose boat, and have a family or a decent size crew the Centurion wins.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-02-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Also one more thing. The real on the Centurion will always look dry out of the water no layer how many times you oil it. Don't know why, just the way their platforms were. Only eat to beat that was to use a sealer called Sikkens
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-02-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
I owned that centurion hull (I believe they stopped making that hull in 05) and one of my best buddies has an 01 VLX. I pretty much agree with swatguys feedback.

What I will add is - The boats have about the same amount of room - the cabin area may actually be larger in the VLX (or feels larger). The hulls ride about the same in chop they both got beat to hell in Havasu chop. The centurion hull is sensitive to weight and you will have to ride at higher speeds 24+ to clean up the wake, once you start adding anything over the stock weight. The centurion was a great all around boat and was a pleasure to own (not one mechanical issue).

One negative for the VLX is, one of the skylon towers on that year does not collapse - if it has this tower it could limit your storage possibilities.

I would say if you are looking to wakeboard all or most of the time, hands down the VLX - Its just easier to manage that wake. If you want a good all around fam boat... centurion (hydraulic wake plate is a must) that boat tends to porpoise at higher speeds.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-02-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
What makes the centurion better all around? Seating is almost identical. Lakes aren't that choppy around here. The vlx has amazing storage amounts, decent radio. Tower is collapsing, has board racks which the cent doesn't.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-02-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
For resale value, I think Malibu is hard to beat. You still see 10 Yo boats going mid to high 20's!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-02-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
The Centurion drives like its on rails, handles different water conditions very well, is rock solid, and has a deeper v than the bu. The bu drives like a much bigger boat, especially when weighted, and if you are rolling with the wedge it really drives like a pig compared to the Centurion. The angles on the centurion hull just beforw the top deck also direct spray on those windy/rough days . Also the hydraulic trim tab will allow you to adjust the angle of the ride on those super calm days to really float across the water. It just adds to the performance. However that would be a non factor for ya being on a calmer lake. If you are constantly changing riders of different abilities it comes to convenience. While the Vlx is again going to give you a better advances boarding wake, that comes with some loss of time. Emptying and filling ballast consumes a ton of time. Being that the bu is going to take more ballast to get.

For disclosure I was Centurion rep. I owned two of these exact boats though earlier models. I wakeboard almost everytime my boat hits the water surf a little. I am solid intermediate rider. Bout 5 inverts all the 180's and 360's. I ride on a smaller lake. While most my posts are Centurion details in this thread, as a pure wakeboarder everytime the boat hits the water and not cruising around from one side of the lake to another the bu would be my choice due to the wake capabilities. If I rode less say qbout 65% and cruised n surfed the rest of the time I would go.Centurion

Last edited by xstarrider; 12-02-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Xstarider is right on the money with everything he has said. I had an 05 Elite V. It was a very reliable boat, and Merc dealers are everywhere.
If you end up with the Centurion, use lots of weight in the front. We used to put a sack in the main part of the cabin and another in the walkway (on the step) and filled the factory center tank. It would help keep the wake from washing out. We didnt use any weight in the rear lockers (I don't think it would have plained with any more weight anyway). That boat did handle like it was on rails. It was my first inboard, and I didn't appreciate how well it handled until I got my new boat.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-02-2011, 8:33 PM Reply   
Db,

Was Rick your rep or was I? Saw you were local. Love that light blue. U pick it up from Chicago mc?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-05-2011, 3:41 AM Reply   
Looks like I'm going with the centurion

As much as I like Malibu as a brand better than Centurion, it's hard to argue with the difference in looks, features and hours. It's got half the hours, and just about everything on the boat is nicer looking and feeling than the Malibu.

HIN states that the boat is indeed a 2006. They must have shipped some 06's with the older hulls.

Gonna be a long winter
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Db,

Was Rick your rep or was I? Saw you were local. Love that light blue. U pick it up from Chicago mc?
I'm not sure what you are asking about as far as who the rep was. I bought the Centurion from a dealership as they were going out of business in January of 2006. The guys name was Brian Huels. I think I bought it for like 31k and sold it for 25k about this time last year. I bought the X15 in April from Gage in Lake Geneva. I made a thread about it not too long ago...I will try to find a link. I am in the Chicagoland area, Shelbyville is southern IL...right?
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790361