Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
I cannot get the oil to drain from this engine. Tried routing the drain hose through the paddle wheel through hull and the drain plug through hull, cranked the trailer jack all the way up and down. Even ran the engine to heat up the oil. Could only get around a quart out. Do I need to buy a pump to suck the oil out? If so, can anyone make any recommendations? Thanks.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
1. Do you have the fill cap and dipstick removed to prevent a vacuum?

2. Are you positive there is still oil left in the engine?

There is no other reason it wouldn't be draining unless the hose is clogged, but that is unlikely.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       08-20-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
You're better off sucking it up throught the dipstick tube. I bought my vacume canister from Overton's I believe, but West Marine, Boat U.S., etc. all have different versions and prices available. You will have better luck with warm oil as well whether you use the drain hose or vacume.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Alan,

Yep, pulled the fill cap off and dipstick out. I didn't check the oil level before draining the oil, but I only got about a quart out. I've been running the boat and check the oil level every few times I head out. Oil level always remains the same. Very doubtful that there was only a quart in the engine. Oil was still coming out of the drain hose when I gave up, but it was just flowing VERY slow. Almost a trickle.

Jason,

Thanks for the info. Wish I didn't have to mess with a pump, but I guess that is what I have to do.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Yea, it does not come out fast. Set it and leave it overnight.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-24-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
If you do go the pump route, I have found that pumping out of the drain hose gets out more oil than through the dip stick.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Had a similar issue with the same motor in my 02. My big mistake was I did it outside on a windy day. I had to hold the oil pan up by the boat to keep the oil from blowing all over the place and it took probably close to an hour to get about 4 quarts out of it. Absolutely miserable. In the next month or so I am going to need another oil change and I need to get a pump Im thinking and do it on a calm morning.
Old     (stefjelos)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
The oil will not drain via the hose without help. All the heat and waiting in the world will not help.

As others suggested, get a hand-operated pump from West Marine or other retailer and use either via the dipstick or the drain hose. You'll be shocked how quickly the oil will drain.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-25-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
I'm going to purchase a hand pump to do the job. Do the pumps come with a hose that extends through the drain hose or dipstick tube to reach the oil? I'm assuming I won't find any that thread onto the end of the drain hose?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
If you get a Pela like the one I have it has a few different attachments, they're about 4 ft long each, should be enough to reach the oil pan, I'm not sure about other brands.