Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (OnlyButter)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-17-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
About to buy a '08 Pathfinder, V6. Rated at 6000LB towing capacity.

Anyone see any issues with this rig launching my new boat ('11 Launch 21v) ? The 21v is 3800LB + about 1000LB for the trailer = 4800LB. I'm sure the pathfinder can pull it on the road just fine, but is there any concern about dropping it in the water (potential sliding??) or pulling it out?

Or should I bite the bullet and get a V8? I'd really rather not...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-17-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
I can't imagine it is going to matter unless you have a crappy/steep/slipper ramp. Just take it slow. If all you have to do is pull down a side street I see no problem although half the people here will say "you need a 3/4 ton diesel".

What kind of terrain and how far will you be towing it?
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       10-17-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
No problem. 2007 nissan pathfinder tows my Calabria pro V2, with full gear and gas I am 5000lbs, No problem, when I pull the boat out of water, I use 4X4 high for traction just in case the rear starts spinning because of wet tires. I have pulled it out of the water with 2x4 and no problem. The V6 was designed to towing. look at profile picture.

Last edited by rbeckei; 10-17-2011 at 2:28 PM.
Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-17-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
I can't imagine it would be a big problem I have pulled my 23' Calabria with a V6 4runner but my Dmax pulls it much better. The only place you would have problems is on big grades or steep ramps
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-17-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine has a V6 Pathfinder 2wd and he pulls his Malibu XTI with it. He wishes he got the 4x4 instead though due to the 2wd slipping on any kind of steep ramp. Otherwise he says the v6 is fine.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-17-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
I pulled an Ouback/Mobius with a V6 Pathfinder for a few years. I think my total weight was 4k.

It didnt tow it often but we slipped our boat so we probably pulled it 6 times a year total.. The truck actually got better gas mileage than most while towing it (12.5ish) but it was a lighter boat..

The ass end sagged - you'll definitely want some airbags for help in the rear if you plan on making this a regular thing. Never had any problems with braking or power. Live in a relatively flat area so hills weren't something I dealt with and CERTAINNLY not mountains.

Did the job for what we needed it for. It braked great - trailer brakes help a ton and I had upgrade pads as well on truck/boat.

Your boat is anotehr 1k lbs.. I doubt you'll be thrilled about it but it will tow it. Get some bags added to the back and it will be much better.
Old     (OnlyButter)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-17-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
I wasn't wanting to get a 4x4.

I live in Atlanta area- pretty flat, a few modest hills- nothing major. It's only 12-15 miles from my house to the lake, and the ramps are right off the main road and all concrete, not that steep...just standard boat ramps from what I can tell.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-17-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyButter View Post

I live in Atlanta area- pretty flat, a few modest hills- nothing major. It's only 12-15 miles from my house to the lake, and the ramps are right off the main road and all concrete, not that steep...just standard boat ramps from what I can tell.
You are probably fine. 2wd is probably a bigger problem then the V6.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-17-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
That truck is definitely enough to get the job done.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
you are solid, my ford ranger can tow my 04 supra 8 miles to our boat ramp and pull it out too
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-17-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
v8 will do nothing for sliding. i wouldnt worry about launching unless the ramp is covered in moss. with a v6 i would worry about going down the road at high way speed, especially if there are any hills
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-18-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
Short wheel base vehicles are not good for towing. Yes they can do the job short distance if nothing out of the ordinary happens. In a emergency situation the boat may steer the truck. Braking is also a big factor . Your Supra loaded probably weighs more like 5500 lbs that's a lot to ask out of a small SUV that only weighs 4600lbs. The gas mileage is only 15 city-21 highway my 05 GMC with a 6L gets 15 highway and 10 towing.
Old     (OnlyButter)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-18-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
So it sounds like I should be looking for a 4wd, but not necessarily a V8.

Anyone know a good SUV 4wd with 3rd row fold-down seating?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-18-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
check a 4 runner, we use a lexus gx (Twin to the 4 trunner) and it has no problems, tows like champ, v8 though, gets 21 total mpg and gets about 15 towing, pull fine out of the crappiest ramps, we have a 3500# tige and 1200# boatmate plus gear and fuel, so i give it about 5000#. def has 3rd row too
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       10-18-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Pathfinder has 3rd row seating and you can get in 4X4
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
So it sounds like I should be looking for a 4wd, but not necessarily a V8.

Anyone know a good SUV 4wd with 3rd row fold-down seating?
you live in atlanta. if you're not on steep mossy ramps you'll be fine with 2wd.

people who say "a V6 is a bad idea" are talking out of their asses..

They are the same people who are towing with a 1986 Chevy 1500 with a "V8" that has 175hp and 200tq while you're V6 pathfinder is 265/250.

The new style Pathfinder will tow your Supra fine. They are available with a third row and a V8.. 4wd isn't necessary if you're not on nasty launches.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
My 99 pathfinder with a V-6 will tow my Avalanche, but it feels like its gonna break. I will use it to pull my boat from the campground to the launch, but never on the highway.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
My 99 pathfinder with a V-6 will tow my Avalanche, but it feels like its gonna break. I will use it to pull my boat from the campground to the launch, but never on the highway.
totally different rig from the new ones.
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       10-18-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:

I live in the Atlanta area too. But I wouldn't really consider the area flat. There are some decent hills depending on what area you live in. What lake do you usually ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-18-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
What price range are you looking at? I manage a Toyota dealership in the Atlanta area. I may be able to help you out with something.

Old     (OnlyButter)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-18-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
We go to Allatoona 99% of the time. Occasional trip to Lanier (once per year max).

Trying to stay in the $22-$24k range for the SUV.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-18-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
I have some trucks in that range and a 2007 4wd FJ Cruiser (not a family SUV by any means and a little too short to tow in my opinion) but that's about it right now. I think you're fine with the Pathfinder tow wise as long as you're not planning trips to Lake Blue Ridge.

Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
I think if you are buying a vehicle, look for something a little bigger. If you already have the Pathfinder, have at it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
Will it tow it? Yes.... Will you be happy with it? Probably not, but it will do the trick if you are not towing long distances and don't tow all the time.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-25-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
you live in atlanta. if you're not on steep mossy ramps you'll be fine with 2wd.

people who say "a V6 is a bad idea" are talking out of their asses..

They are the same people who are towing with a 1986 Chevy 1500 with a "V8" that has 175hp and 200tq while you're V6 pathfinder is 265/250.

The new style Pathfinder will tow your Supra fine. They are available with a third row and a V8.. 4wd isn't necessary if you're not on nasty launches.
It is good to see someone in a tow thread with some logic.
Old     (mjb929rr)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-06-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
it will tow it but not very well. I have an 08 21v and thought my new 08 halfton chevy wiht the 6.0 towed it bad. granted i was used to a diesel before the chevy. I guess it depends how far you plan to tow. I tow about 8ooo miles a year so a diesel was a no brainer.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-06-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
I wouldn't be comfortable towing 5000 lbs with a little truck. Light weight, tiny brakes and driveline, no power. Short tows a few miles to the ramp on slower roads you'll be fine. I wouldn't want to do long distance highway towing. If you have to stop in a hurry (it will happen from time to time, probably by no fault of your own) you'll find the brakes inadequate and the tail will wag the dog, so to speak. I absolutely hate towing with a short wheel base for that reason, things can get very interesting in panic maneuvers. If you have trouble on the ramp see if you can get a locker for the rear. If they make a lunchbox locker they're cake to install. A detroit is superior but I doubt they make one for a Nissan.

If you do a lot of longer distance highway towing think about getting a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup with a big block or diesel, then no worries. If you work far from home just get an older truck to use for towing. '80-'97 F-250/350 can be had for $1000-$2500 in good condition (less if you don't care about cosmetics) and are very simple reliable tow pigs. Either way, I wouldn't let tow vehicle influence boat decision. See how it tows and go from there.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       12-06-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
This thread is a couple of months old so the OP likely already made his decision. I would agree with what some others said: If you owned/inherited/stole a current generation pathfinder then it will likely do an acceptable and relatively safe job towing a 21' inboard with surge brakes. However, I would not seek out the pathfinder to purchase and to pull said boat. It just makes a lot more practical sense to go with something on a 1/2 ton chassis with a larger V8 which will give a lot more "headroom" on the rated tow capacity. I'd go for a lightly used Armada vs. a new Pathfinder if I was spending $25k and liked Nissan.
Old     (adam1680)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-12-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Some things I noticed about towing near capacity... My experience isn't with a pathfinder, so it may not be relative, but I could share some experiences I had with a 2005 Colorado 4wd with the inline 5 towing my 2000 Supra Launch 21'. I tow about 1/4 of a mile to the boat launch, but we ride pretty much every weekend day in the spring/summer/fall. When I had to tow long distances, the gas milage was terrible (like 7 or 8 mpg instead of the 18-20mpg I was normally getting). Also it chewed through the rear drum brakes insanely fast. I was replacing the drums at least once a season, sometimes twice.

We just bought a new Ecoboost and it's worlds difference.
Old     (crypted1)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-12-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
I pull my 05 Crownline with my 05 pathfinder 4x4. Pulls great, and stopping is no issue.
I bought my boat in St.Louis and pulled 3 hours home. Was a little worried about stopping. Pulled home no issues. Backed the boat into the driveway and found out the the bump brake on the trailer was broke and all the fluid drained out. The boat never pushed the Pathfinder at all.
Never been on a ramp where I needed to use 4 wheel drive, and never slid down a ramp. Just take it easy backing to the water and should be no issue.
The only thing I did was, a year after I owned the boat, I added expansion air bags to the rear coilovers to help with weight distribution.
Gas milage goes WAY down pulling a heavy boat, but that is the only issue I've seen.
Been pulling my boat for 4 years now.( This spring will be the 5th.)
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-22-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
My 99 pathfinder (v-6) does not tow my 04 Avalanche very well. it can be done, but feels really under powered. Also braking is very scetchy!!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-22-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
Why don't you get a mens truck and be done with it... Chev, Ford, or dodge will pull the **** out of any vehicle out there.... Drop a diesel in it you got power all day!! Do it once. And do it right
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-23-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
My tow vehicle is a Chev K3500 dually, I agree, stop messing around and get a mens truck! my Pathfinder is the wifes vehicle. I've been thinking of getting a older Tahoe for her, so we have 2 tow vehicles.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-23-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
Mans truck? You worried about towing or compensating?

I love these towing threads, so much ridiculousness.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-23-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Compensating... What are you compensating...id love to know... Unless you have a family of 8.... Which I'm sure you don't... and if you did you sure.. would not pack your family in that to go to the lake.. plus gear and food... you would probably have a Suburban or something equivalent in size if not a chevy express.. Fuel.. If your going to complain about that your in the wrong sport... you can't tell me wake boarding is fuel efficient... because we all know its not... and if you compute big deal... by a civic,vibe,focus, whatever it is... and run it to the ground leave your tow vehicle in the drive way..
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       12-23-2011, 12:48 PM Reply   
i have a pathfinder and an xterra. both are used for pulling the boat. I wouldnt go super far with the v6, especially on the highway. Definitely not the best for pulling but gets the job done for the price. I have never put the car in 4wd while pulling in either car and ive never needed it. hope that helps.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-23-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveronix199 View Post
Compensating... What are you compensating...id love to know... Unless you have a family of 8.... Which I'm sure you don't... and if you did you sure.. would not pack your family in that to go to the lake.. plus gear and food... you would probably have a Suburban or something equivalent in size if not a chevy express.. Fuel.. If your going to complain about that your in the wrong sport... you can't tell me wake boarding is fuel efficient... because we all know its not... and if you compute big deal... by a civic,vibe,focus, whatever it is... and run it to the ground leave your tow vehicle in the drive way..
I'm not sure you understood my post, or the humor behind it. That makes it more amusing though...
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-25-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
Yea our 2004 v6 pathfinder pulls our moomba mobius xlv alright.