Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-11-2015, 11:27 PM Reply   
What's the deal behind cutting off the highbacks on your HL systems?
I see the top riders (San Im, Nick Davies, Graeme Burges, etc...) with their highbacks off.

Is it really worth it?
I presume that next season's systems will be have on-off highbacks.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-12-2015, 6:31 AM Reply   
I dont ride them, never have. I would imagine that its just another way to personalize your set up, some kids like super stiff bindings and some like noodley flexible bindings. Just a way to achieve the feel their looking for I would guess.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2015, 10:53 AM Reply   
my question is can you make the 2014 highbacks float like the 2011-/13?'s I don't like trying to get them on or off , before I could leave the toe ladders strapped and put them on and off easily, now the angle sux and you have to release both to put them on and off ..Im sure if you could loosen something to make them float you wouldn't have to cut them off?? do you have to actually cut them or remove a few screws and remove them?

I wear the 14s now with Maricks for cable but wear ronix ones for the boat.. just my preference, never like the feel or movement of them on boat wakes..
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       01-12-2015, 3:47 PM Reply   
why are you worrying about putting them on and off? You already have moved away from the classic boot binding which if worn correctly are pretty tough to get on and off
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2015, 4:15 PM Reply   
Ben at the cable park getting from out in front of obstacles after falls and back on in line..not bad but still some improvements would be nice..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2015, 4:16 PM Reply   
not talking boots but bindings..
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       01-13-2015, 6:56 PM Reply   
the highback catches on the water when laying it back for a flat water, air trick or so i've heard
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       01-14-2015, 6:25 AM Reply   
From what I was told they help with flexibility. In that pic the highback looks to be completely removed... The only set I've seen modified about 2/3 of the highback had been cut off. Looked like they used a hacksaw or something. It wasn't pretty, but I guess did the job.
Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-14-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
Arek why don't you find a way to contact these riders and ask them , maybe each has a different reason, im curious to why as well..
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       01-14-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
A few guys I ride with cut theirs down. They say it makes the boots feel more natural and lets them flex more.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-14-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
Don't blame them for taking off the highbacks. Especially for cable riding. Most people on cable want softer boots for poking out grabs and bending into presses. Frankly, the boots are likely providing more than enough support without it.

Probably a lot easier to get the boot into the bindings as well.
Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-15-2015, 11:17 AM Reply   
Bill, I thought I'd find some forum memberts who have cut them off. But I may follow your advice and ask them directly.
It's just that I have a chance to get me a cheap pair of 2014 systems and cut them down, but I was not sure if it will be worth the 75 bucks investment or not...
Old     (Swampmonsters)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-14-2015, 5:40 AM Reply   
Just wondering on people's thoughts of cutting off The highback plate of the system binding and if they have ridden with and without it what's there view / comparison?

Cheers!
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2015, 12:37 AM Reply   
Just buy some Shredtown's and be done with it.
Old     (Swampmonsters)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-17-2015, 2:43 AM Reply   
@splashbenidorm I have cut the back of mine off after talking to a few people who also cut there's off, it just gives you more flex in your boot.