Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-20-2015, 8:23 AM Reply   
Been out to Parker this weekend having a great time staying in Moovalya Keys.

I noticed that when I load the boat down with 1500 or more pounds (+ passengers) I get a bad steering vibration ONLY when getting out of the hole with this amount of load (mainly port side loading). Turning the boat CCW seems much harder too. It does not vibrate once at wake surfing speeds.

I have driven at all different speeds without the weight and experience no issues. I will be pulling the boat out tomorrow to ensure no prop/shaft damage has occurred but I highly doubt it given the specific scenarios above. I have been very careful with staying away from the north side of Moovalya keys where there are sandbars.

I strongly believe I am experiencing prop cavitation with the stock 537 prop and am considering changing to the 1939 prop I bought a few months ago.

Does this sound like a solid conclusion?

Last edited by BaadLS1; 09-20-2015 at 8:25 AM. Reason: Exit
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-21-2015, 4:25 AM Reply   
Exactly make sure the rudder is straight before you hit the throttle this will help cut down the feedback through the steering cable
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-21-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
If i am slightly turned and try and pull up a rider mine vibrates as well.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-21-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
It is a little annoying and concerning at the same time. I will change the prop and report back if anything improves.
Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       09-21-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
I get that sometimes also (08 V215) - always assume its cavitation.

On another point we've had a bit of a layoff from using our boat this year and have just been out a couple of times in the last week - thing is we're having difficulty loading the boat properly - suspect its trailer depth - boat is never sitting nicely on the bowstop once we pull up the ramp.

I thought we used to drop the trailer so the fender was just submerged - can someone remind me please?
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-21-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
I have an 05 V215. I think the back up all depends on the angle of the ramp. I had mine out yesterday and backing the trailer in I found that it was best to back it up to the point the V shaped pads were just barely under water but that's while the ramp doesn't seem very steep and because of how low the water was there is a ton of silt on the ramp. I usually look at the fenders and dunk it until they are just below the water and out of sight.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2015, 5:43 PM Reply   
I think your vibration when totally loaded is normal from start most likely. Mine does not do it, but have been in many other boats heavily loaded and get the same thing and know exactly what you are talking about. As others have said it should be reduced if you start in a straight line.

As for your trailering, you are probably too deep. Don't be scared to drive on your bunks. Typically you will load right where the top of your fenders are just cresting the water. It can be different for each ramp. If the ramp is steep it might be just outside of the water. If the ramp is real mellow it may be that you back to the point your fenders are under water deeper.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-21-2015, 9:19 PM Reply   
My V210 does it as well. Pretty sure there is a zert fitting on the rudder I pump some greese in there and it damps it down really well. I haven't done it for ages and its back again....
Old     (mjr)      Join Date: May 2009       09-24-2015, 10:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for advice on loading - will try the trailer a little shallower next time out. And apologies for the slight thread hijack!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
Clarke, my V210 also does it out of the hole when turned slightly and especially when turning the boat a certain way (can't remember which way) out of the hole. At one point I discovered that my prop nut was slightly loose causing some of the rattling. After tightening it up, the vibrating was almost completely went away. Check that. For me, the vibrating sound is mostly up at the helm, coming all the way up the cable.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-24-2015, 5:38 PM Reply   
Andy, that sounds about spot on. Most of it is heard/felt at the helm. I typically found my Rutter turned to the right more often than not. Going to swap the prop and tighten things up.

Supposedly my father met your wife at the eye clinic this week. I think she may have connected the dots with our drive by meeting on your way to Hodges earlier this year.

Do you happen to know how deep the Parker strip normally is? Looked anywhere from 8-20ft on average and I am wondering if it had any impact on my surf wave quality. The wakeboard wake is very impressive when loaded with ~1800-2000lbs.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
Indeed, the connection. While you guys were at Parker (we love the Keys!), we were doing this:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805516
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2015, 8:08 PM Reply   
In the 10 years I've been going to Parker, the depth had been consistently the same. It doesn't really vary being so close between two dams.

We'll have to get out together. If nothing else at san v when it opens!