Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-25-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
They look very nice but how are they? I was looking at the Image Dynamics sub but wondering about the Treo line.

Thank you
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-25-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
Ryan @ Chucktronics has been using the TREO sub's forever. He loves them. I have never got a chance to hear a system with Treo's that was pushing it so I dont have any first hand experiance with them.

TY: Question what is your system like these day's I always see you asking around about equipment. Its like your forever building/rebuilding your system. Whats up? or are you just kicking tires?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-25-2008, 10:40 PM Reply   
hey grant. how are you? i am redoing my system and thinking idq but that treo is kind of intersting. i just like tweaking i guess.

i am not sure if you remember ryan stallcup, but we now work for the same company...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-25-2008, 11:47 PM Reply   
No I dont know Ryan Stallcup. Ryan Norris is who I was talking about. What company are you working for.
Nate was saying his Boston Acoustics SPG 555 sub's were working real good. The thing I like about them is you can run 2 of them with 1 JL 1000/1
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-26-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Stallcup has said he has ridden with you before but a while back. i work for Ocean Mist
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
I have a SSI 12" Treo sub in a sealed box installed by Neptunes audio under the drivers dash. They were going to do a 10" JL but I wanted a little more so they recommended the Treo. Don't know a lot about different subs but the Treo didn't disappoint me. Hit them up for info. Good guys who will help you out.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-26-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have a 10 inch Treo sub. Not sure the model number but we put 1000 rms watts to it and it POUNDS!!!!!! Haven't had any problems with them at all.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-26-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Treo is stuff is really nice.. big power and sound.. made in the good old USA!

Really popular in the SPL world...
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-27-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
My story is about the same as Rich's except that I'm running the TSX-12. Rating a sub is pretty subjective but I would have to say that Neptunes steered me right with Treo. I'm happy with it and have had no shortage of compliments on the bass from a single 12.
Old     (jp1)      Join Date: May 2008       12-28-2008, 2:18 AM Reply   
Grant ryan hasn't used treo subs for some time and for good reason they're that good he's now using digital design subs with better results and neptunes hasn't been an authorized dealer for about a year
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-28-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Treo does make a good sub, however, not made in the U.S.

The lineup has huge box differences between each series(more than normal) thus not allowing a perfect match between boat and enclosure rules.

yes all speakers go in different boxes ,typically not these vast differences. makes it hard to sell a speaker the next power handling size up when the box must also double in size.

The digital designs speaker is made in the us(except for the basket on the entry level sku #, these woofers are made all with the same materials throughout the 5 major models,all boxes are the same for the most part , again,making it easy to upgrade and fit in the boat of choice
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-28-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Ryan,
I was looking at the treo TE, idq12, or I do like dd stuff. Which model dd do you recommend?
Thanks
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-28-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
The idq is a very good woofer,questions to you:

1/power you want to run?

2/sound your looking for ?

one main concideration people forget when doing boats,they are comparing what they know about car audio into the marine world (understandable,but incorrect)

the fact that a woofer is very transient in response(clean) in a car does not relate to the outside environment directly, most of the super defined notes are inaudible in the infinite environment thus making it a mute point(within reason).

the most common error is the enclosure this is just as important as the driver,not to offend,but i see many enclosures on the forum posts designed incorrectly.

as far as dd their specs on power are a little different,the dd driver wants a ported enclosure unless using a 2500 series ,but again i dont know how much power you are working with , based on parameters, the most output will be dd then id and treo both being similar but at different frequencies,this goes back to choice of what you listen to.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-28-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
I like the idq12 as it has nice sound quality but i realize out on the boat it needs to be loud. I used to run an hcca 12 and it was loud but sounded like crap. I need something with nice output but not just burps.

1/power you want to run? 1000w or less

2/sound your looking for ? see above.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-28-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
I know excursion is not everything but 28mm on teh treo te is certainly interesting...
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-28-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
also, i need it to go into a relative small enclosure.

thanks ryan
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-28-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
Relatively small enclosure?
It is always more important to be on the larger size of the enclosure design relative to the sub. Have you ever concidered a 10" ported for accuracy and volume as opposed to a 12" sealed?
Most of my experience has hailed 10" subs over 12's just based on the box vs. boat issue.
you really limit the output by going sealed.
With 10's you can almost always build a single reflex enclosure.
give me some rough dimensions and make of boat and let me sketch something.

The reason DD is so impressive is because they still retain that accuracy even in the single reflex design unlike most woofers that tend to get sloppy.

I attached pics of properly build 10" single reflex enclosure for you to see the difference .they are 20" tall x 16" deep x 14" wide

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-28-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
very impressive build. a ported or sr enclosure for a 10" will outplay a 12" in a sealed enclosure?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-28-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
I'd be interested in a nice ported box from you for my X-star to add to the factory infinete baffle JL sub... Need a little more bass... should I perhaps just add more power to it along with the tower speakers and see what happens first?
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-28-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
The typical thought is that more is better , but like i mentioned earlier if you suficate a larger speaker you may possibly have more output at some notes ,but will intern lose the low end extension and control.It is not just about the cone area of a driver ,but rather how it is aligned with the enclosure ,boat ,and in this case the outside environment. I have tried many 12" install and have had some good results, but not quite as good as the 10"s. Again this is working with high end subs as DD, TREO,RE and others.these drivers typically have a tighter suspension than a sq sub that works on the compression of a sealed enclosure.

Greg: the factory sub can only do so much , you can actually take that woofer and get more out of it if it was in some kind of cabinet,the down side is the cabinet would have to be quite large

we could either get you blueprints to try the build yourself or i could build it and ship it. I would just need some exterior dimensions.(typically we put the driver on the pass side of new x -star.

the first pic shows where they vent out, (brand new boat gutted....lol)

This picture is when it was almost back together,i will see if i can find any completed install pics
Upload
Upload
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-28-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
The typical thought is that more is better , but like i mentioned earlier if you suficate a larger speaker you may possibly have more output at some notes ,but will intern lose the low end extension and control.It is not just about the cone area of a driver ,but rather how it is aligned with the enclosure ,boat ,and in this case the outside environment. I have tried many 12" install and have had some good results, but not quite as good as the 10"s. Again this is working with high end subs as DD, TREO,RE and others.these drivers typically have a tighter suspension than a sq sub that works on the compression of a sealed enclosure.

Greg: the factory sub can only do so much , you can actually take that woofer and get more out of it if it was in some kind of cabinet,the down side is the cabinet would have to be quite large

we could either get you blueprints to try the build yourself or i could build it and ship it. I would just need some exterior dimensions.(typically we put the driver on the pass side of new x -star.

the first pic shows where they vent out, (brand new boat gutted....lol)

This picture is when it was almost back together,i will see if i can find any completed install pics
Upload
Upload
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-29-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
If you put the sub box under the passenger side windshield area you just vent the ported box in the air void? Or do you have to vent to the "seating" area?

I don't want to chop fibreglass in my boat for various reasons.

I've seen some ideas of building an enclosure behind the area of the stock sub on the X-star and then using the existing location to hold the sub... I assume you can seal the box with some glass and adhesive?
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-29-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
The most inefficient part of the stock sub location is that there is no loading characteristics on the sub to help control it. What would sound good is a 4th order bandpass ported through that existing opening.4th order boxes are not as reliant on the surroundings. you must tune it a little lower thatn normal however
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-23-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Here is a shot of how we did a 07 or 08 X star using a DD 3500 10. Built the box to go under the seat, but used the existing hole. We then ran the port to the front under the driver's seat where we had to cut a hole for the vent.

Upload
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-23-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
looks great
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-23-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
Thanks. I was really proud of our installer for coming up with that idea. Sounded awesome and a minimal amount of cutting.