Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-07-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
Planning a weekend in Portland OR in 2 weeks. My goal is to stay somewhere that we can walk to many points of interest. We want to taste beers and ciders(wife). Don't care about wine. And we want to eat good and maybe catch some entertainment. 36 hours in Portland, what would you do?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-07-2014, 3:49 PM Reply   
I hear the Acrop has great steaks.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-07-2014, 8:48 PM Reply   
And it's only a buck to add the salad bar.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-07-2014, 8:54 PM Reply   
Tossed?
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-08-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
There are a dozen craft breweries in the greater Portland area. I usually make a stop at Deschutes when in town. Good beer, good food, and in the heart of downtown. Very good craft beers in Oregon. Acropolis is your best bet for steak drapes....
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-08-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
McMenamins
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-08-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
While the Acrop is a wonderful option as long as your up to date on all of your shots .... I would recommend cruising around the Pearl district or 23rd area for that true Portlandia experience. Also some great pubs and restaurants on the East side off Mississippi ave.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   
Don't forget to wait in a half hour line to get a donut at voodoo donuts. Lord knows you can't get a donut in the rest of the United State of America.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2014, 7:59 PM Reply   
If you stay near the Pearl, you're close to a lot. Deschutes in the Pearl. Mcmenamins on 23rd. Mcmenamins Mission theater for beer and a cheap movie. Lompoc on 23rd. Bridgeport is deep Nw.
Just across the Burnside bridge in SE is Burnside Brewing. Hopworks (HUB) is good but not close to the Pearl. Widmer and Hair of the Dog are close in across the bridge. Mississippi in NE has a lot of Beer and Mississippi Studios is one of the best places for live music. Mcmenamins Kennedy School is one of the most unique pubs but not close to downtown (on the way from the airport if you're flying in tho).
And if you can't make it all the way out to the Acrop, Mary's is close to the Pearl and NW. Hope that helps.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
http://www.wweek.com/portland/beerguide

My friend owns a Tap Room in Salem (1 hour South of Portland) and I always like to try the latest offerings from Barley Brown when I am down there. Other than that, I doubt you will have a hard time running in to places to drink and try a lot of great beer.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-10-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
hair of the dog
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-10-2014, 3:23 PM Reply   
Casa Diablo!

Bridgeport brewery
Rogue brewery
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       09-10-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hair of the Dog X3. Great beer and chuck Norris duck wings!
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-12-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely going to stay on the pearl side. Portland is a short hop from the Bay Area and it seems like a cool place to have a nice time and soak up some suds. Any hotel recommendations? I'm looking at the Paramount
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-14-2014, 10:26 PM Reply   
Voodoo donuts is way over rated. All the times I've been there there has been a long wait for stale over priced donuts, and never the onces you wanted in the first place.

If you want some good wings and some good local beers hit up Fire on the Mountain. They have two locations. The one off of Burnside typically has local music playing and some good local beers on tap. If you were feeling Voodoo, it's only a few blocks away to the second Voodoo location.

OH! One great thing Voodoo donuts has made, is their joint venture with Rogue. Their Maple Bacon Bar Ale is absolutely amazing!

P.S. The Acrop is a strip joint if you didn't know. They do have some decent food though. I used to get their huge hamburgers made on an entire loaf of french bread, about 3-4lbs of beef and an entire take home box of steak fries for $6.95 from their take out window and share it with a bunch of friends for some cheap eats. Never complained once.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2014, 11:47 PM Reply   
Nice. Ya I couldn't care less about donuts. Beer and wings however? Ya that's me. Thanks for all the advise everyone. Beer Is cool.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-15-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
I would stay at The Nines Hotel. Has a great view at the rooftop bar, Departure. Can walk to all of Pearl and Downtown.

If good wings is what you want, Fire on the Mountain is where it is at!