Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-21-2015, 4:24 PM Reply   
A client of mine called last week. His inboat amp quit just after he got the boat home. It probably has less than 10 hours on it.

The boat came with the Polk PAD5000.5 amp, powering 1 pair of bow speakers, 2 pair of cockpit speakers (all 2 ohm speakers), and a sub. A second amp powers the towers that have Focal Access 6.9's.

I'm pretty sure the amp is dead. The amp has 12V, ground, and remote turn-on.

What I found odd is that they use 2 ohm cockpit speakers. The rear of the 6 are tied together and show 1.3 ohm at the amp. I pulled each speaker and they're 2.6 at the coils.

Did Nautique really rig this boat this way? Are all these boats built the same way?

Either way, I told him to get with the dealer to resolve this issue. He's not quite ready to upgrade the amp for now.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-21-2015, 6:27 PM Reply   
I guess it's no different than how supra wired the speakers up on my 24v. 6 speakers into the head unit. But my 06 24v wasnt a 130,000 dollar boat.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2015, 7:05 PM Reply   
Nautique actually uses two different speakers that look almost identical at first glance. The grilles are the only difference One is the 2.7ohm version and the other is the 4ohm version.

http://www.polkaudio.com/mm651/d/1151C2778

http://www.polkaudio.com/mm651-um/d/1152C2781

The 2.7ohm version is great in certain scenarios because they see more power in most situations. I would be at the dealer and here is why.

The way they had the speakers wired fried your amp. That Polk is only 2ohm stable great for (4) cockpit speakers(2.7ohms) and a sub. However adding those extra 2 on there(for total of 6) showed the amp to low of an ohm reading and my guess ultimately led to the demise. If you had the 4ohm versions that could have been the correct way, but having the 2ohm versions they should have ran your bow speakers off the head unit, 4 cockpits and sub off the amp.

This isn't necessarily a Nautique problem only. Almost all mfg's have no attention to detail regarding wiring up their stereos for maximum performance. They piggy back off the wrong power leads , run power wires right next to audio wires causing interference.

Last edited by xstarrider; 05-21-2015 at 7:09 PM.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-21-2015, 7:20 PM Reply   
I can't remember where I saw it, but I think someone at nautique told me that the bow speakers are supposed to go direct to the head unit, and the other 4 are supposed to go to the stock amp. Does that sound right?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-21-2015, 7:33 PM Reply   
Most boats are wired that way, but they tied the 2 rear pairs together at the amp.

Swatguy, I've seen a lot of OEM failures over the years. That's fine though, they bring them to me and it's REAL easy to make them better. We all win.

All speakers in this boat are 2 ohm (2.6 to be exact). 1.3 ohm at the amp once they're all tied together.

The owner isn't ready to upgrade just yet, so I'm sending him back to the dealer....
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-21-2015, 7:58 PM Reply   
Its probably just the amp. I bought one of the 5000.5 amps from somebody on nautique forums and a month later it was blown.

Polk amps do not impress me.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-21-2015, 8:09 PM Reply   
As far as I can tell, it's not 1 ohm stable. I'm not impressed with them either....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
Not that they're the worlds best amps but in this instance I'd certainly lean towards it being boneheaded wiring and/or equipment pairing.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-22-2015, 7:12 AM Reply   
Interesting... Our tige just fried its second amp in 4 years...

1 wet sounds syn6, the other a Roswell 500.4.... I will have to check this
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-22-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
I cant believe there is an issue with anything coming from CC, especially the G....
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-22-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
Dude's got a new G25 and can't replace a $300 amp? Hell pick up the PPI P900.5 for $200 then... Anyway...

Would it make sense to just disconnect either the bow speakers or the sub temporarily until another amp can be sourced? I would probably throw the sub on a separate amp (PPI P600.2 for $140?)
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-22-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   
I think it's more the principle of it ... $135k boat should have a rock solid stereo
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-22-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAr View Post
Dude's got a new G25 and can't replace a $300 amp? Hell pick up the PPI P900.5 for $200 then... Anyway...

Would it make sense to just disconnect either the bow speakers or the sub temporarily until another amp can be sourced? I would probably throw the sub on a separate amp (PPI P600.2 for $140?)
Dude's got a new G25 and can replace an amp, but shouldn't have to. His plans are Wet Sounds Sinister amps, big subs, Focal Access speakers, and a few other things. He's not ready for that upgrade yet, for reasons that are none of my business.

Another amp can be sourced, but in this case, the dealer or factory should be footing the bill for teh boneheaded wiring like hatenpain mentioned. But yes, for now a pair of speakers could be disconnected.