Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-28-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
So I finally got the boat out for the first time for the summer last night it was a great night. The only thing that put a damper in the night was when I had the boat running everything was feeding threw the speakers tower and cabin, just with the boat running speakers had a whine but if I turned on the bilge or the blower the noise really got bad. I have searched a lot on the forum about ground loop and stuff but just wanted to see if you guys have any other suggestions or a place to start looking.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-28-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
Bad ground. I had a bad set of RCA's that caused the same problem as yours.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-29-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
ok I'm lost, I messed with everything and nothing seems to work to get the buzz out of the speakers? and I was wrong the buzzing happens all the time even when the boat is not running. louder the volume louder the buzz. I am maybe leaning twords something underneath the dash because that is the only place that I messed with over the winter. any thoughts.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-29-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Do you have a spare RCA cable you could run temporarily from your deck to your amp to see whether that's the issue. Also, what brand of deck is it?
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-29-2010, 7:49 PM Reply   
It has a JVC head unit. will RCA cables go bad over the winter? I will try to replace the RCA's one at a time tomorrow. what I don't under stand is that the tower speakers and the boat speakers run off of different amps but the buzzing noise comes out of all the speakers.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-29-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
How many RCAs do you have coming out of the deck? Do you have an EQ/linedriver/crossover/something else inbetween the deck and the amp? Need better description of the system.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-30-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
sorry should have described the system better. I have one one set coming from the deck into a wet sounds 420 then one rca from the 420 to the first amp is a boston aqustics gt50 for tower speakers I split the rca's out of the 420 to get the front and rear channels for the tower speakers then I have rca's from the 420 to the 5th channel for the sub. boat speakers I have a rca's from 420 to jbl amp. hopefully this makes since.

Last edited by wake26; 04-30-2010 at 7:01 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-30-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
so if the one set of RCAs from the deck to the WS420 is bad, then the whole system's signal would be bad, right? That's where I'd start, by trying a new set of RCAs from the deck to the WS420. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd try bypassing your deck and running an ipod directly into the ws420. If the noise goes away, then you know the problem is upstream of the WS420. If the sound is still there, then I'd try bypassing the WS420, to see if that's what's making the noise.

You mentioned that you had "messed with" stuff under the dash over the winter. Is the WS420 new or was it in your system, noise free, last year?
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-30-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Check to make sure your batteries are fully charged and that all you connections on the batteries are free of corrosion and are tight.

When checking your RCAs first disconnect them all from the amps and turn your system on. Just want to make sure it's not a problem with your amps. Then start reconnecting the RCAs to the amps. I would do one RCA at a time then disconnect it and do the other. That way you can hear where the whine is coming from better. If the whine is coming from a single amp/RCA cable swap that cable with another. If you still have the whine all the way through disconnect the RCA going into the WS 420 and see what happens. If it goes away swap that RCA out. If you are buying new RCAs spend the extra money and get good quality ones. You spent how much on your stereo already why skimp on what is transferring the sound to your amps and speakers.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-30-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
thanks for the info it will give me a good place to start. I ran the same system last 2 seasons with no problems. again thanks for the help.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-29-2010, 6:35 AM Reply   
Did you find your problem? I have the same thing going on and trying to find a solution. thanks