Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-24-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
I know some of you guys on here are truck guru's so I thought I'd post this up. Truck is a 2010 Silverado Crew 4x4.

About three weeks ago I went out to start my truck in the morning and it wouldn't crank. When turned to the "on" position it would do the bulb test as usual and when turned to the "start" position everything went black. When released back to "on" all dash power would restore. I thought the battery and charged it, then load tested. It was fine. I doubted my equipment(because it acted like a bad battery) and took it to the auto parts store and had it tested again. Guy said it was perfect(its a 10 month old battery). Worked with the dealer to troubleshoot some and traced it to the interlock/ theft system. Went as far as I could without a laptop with Chevy's software. After fighting with it all day in subzero cold I finally had it towed to the dealer. They checked it in that night and verified it wouldn't crank. The next morning the tech went out to grab the truck and it started right up. They check it over and couldn't find a thing wrong with it. There was a transponder(keys) code in it and they checked both my keys and verified they were synched currently. They basically said we can't find anything wrong so we will just have to wait and see if it does it again. They said if it does it again they would want to replace the "exciter" module, but couldn't really say why or if that would even fix the problem. I told them to change it now if it was the problem and then they said it wasn't.

So I took it home and put it in the garage and didn't drive it for a week or so. Then we took it up to the lake last weekend and as it got dark I noticed I have no high beam headlights. Highbeam light comes on in the dash cluster, but no lights. Took it back to the dealer thinking they disconnected something during their diagnostics and they messed with it for an hour and couldn't figure out why they won't work. This time they have decided the under hood fuse box has some corrosion and that must be the problem. There is no power to or from the fuses for the high beams. There is some light salt film on the top and light corrosion, but not enough to cause a solid loss of power in my mind. I am a heavy equipment mechanic and these guys obviously have no idea what heavy corrosion looks like!! So now they want to replace the entire power distro box under the hood to the tune of $400-$500, but I'm not totally convinced that is the issue. The scary thing to me is they don't seem convinced either, but just thought that was a good place to start. They said its a fairly common problem and they change about one a month(smaller dealership). So that must be it the service manager thought!!

I know there is nothing worse than owning a vehicle with an electrical demon. Been there, done that…not fun. We are having a super cold winter and it scares me that this issue could come back at any point and leave us stranded in subzero temps. Has anyone had similar electrical issues with a truck like mine?
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-24-2014, 3:23 PM Reply   
Try cleaning all the battery connections starting at the battery make sure the grounds are clean and tight.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-24-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
All ready did all that. Battery was out and all terminals cleaned. Everything is clean and tight.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-24-2014, 4:40 PM Reply   
Is there another power distro block in the cab or just the large one under the hood. Dealer made it sound like this is a fairly common problem with these so really curious if anyone else has issues. The box is not sealed at all. Cover just snaps in very loosely. Mist could easily get under it and obviously it has been. When I was at the dealer you could see water sitting in the bottom of the box under the fuse panel.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       01-24-2014, 5:49 PM Reply   
Honestly I'd get rid of it now if it's got electrical gremlins before it's too late and sink a ton of money into it. I've owned Chevys in the past and that seems to be a common theme among all year models since about 98. The last 2 generations were notorious for having insane readouts on the gauge clusters and issues with engine harness malfunctions. It just seems like something bowties have always been known for. Even my dad's 07 (old body) is starting to have the same issues that my 05 Z71 had. Got a buddy with an 08 that has had the distro block, gauge cluster, and door control units replaced in the last year or so.
Old     (PARTSPHIL)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-24-2014, 5:54 PM Reply   
I manage the parts department at a GM dealer. There have been some issues with these blocks. Obviously, I cant diagnose an electrical problem without the truck being present, but that is a good place to start.
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-24-2014, 6:03 PM Reply   
pull out the run/crank relay on the lower right side of that fuse block(when standing over drivers fender), if you see any signs of corrosion that is your issue. replace the fuse block.
Old     (ashjbrown)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-24-2014, 7:09 PM Reply   
i had a 2007 that would lose power when towing. All I remember is it had to do something with the battery cable. I would triple check it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-24-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
Did you search fullsizechevy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-24-2014, 7:56 PM Reply   
@Ryan..we are seriously considering trading it. Dealer is willing to give us good trade on it and said if they can't figure it out they will just send it to auction.

@Phil. Thats what their service manager told me. he said they do at least one a month. My fear is he also said sometimes the plugs underneath are corroded and that requires replacing the harnesses. He said $400 for the block replacement can turn into $1000's if the harnesses need replaced.

@Brad. There is signs of light corrosion underneath the relays and on some of the fuses. You can also see some water/ moisture under the distro block top in the bottom. What stops the new block from doing the same thing, the truck is only 3 years/ 55,000 miles old? I would think that box should be sealed some how so it can't get wet like mine obviously is.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
I have never seen the harness needing replacement, that run/crank relay is the main concern usually for us. We have put a foam tape around the sides to help seal and some dielectric under that relay.