Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-13-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have a the PP Stargazer on my boat and I have been having troubles with it keeping speed. It will vary a 1.5mph either side of the set point. I have done all the suggestions from perfect pass so far and this is the best that I can get it to run. I am running 2k ballast in the boat if that matters. So my questions are how good does your stargazer hold mph and what are your settings at (kdw). And does anybody have any other suggestion to try.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-13-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
First, call PerfectPass. Their customer service and experience are great.
I don't have any of my numbers here and the boat is far away but I have some different kdw settings for different programs, like surf or boarding. Mine keeps very accurate speed in every setup I have including around corners and with different weights. Allways within .7 but usually.5 or less variation.
The only time I've had issues are when I have satellite signals blocked.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-13-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have talked to Perfect Pass several times and they are helpful I just wanted some other peoples advice that also use this system. I have replaced everything but the motor in this system threw PP trying to fix the speed variation problems. To me it doesn't seem like the motor reacts quick enough when the speed starts varying. I have tried kdw settings from 120-250 best being around 200. PP told me to try some lower setting next time I go out to see if that helps. That why I was wanting to see what other people were setting there's at.
Old     (05sante)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-13-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Mine holds +/- .3 mph usually. KDW 105. I run ~1200 lbs ballast and 5-6 people.

What speed are you trying to hold?

Edit: KDW 200 sounds really high. That might be your problem. Default value is around 90 IIRC.

Last edited by 05sante; 06-13-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: edit
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-13-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
Mine was pretty bad on my '0 230 VRS (5.7L Indmar LTR) when I had the servo mounted in the recommended location on the cooling hose on the port side. Everything looked fine and I could move the throttle with the knob but I later figured out that there was a decent amount of additional friction in the cable due to the slight angle that it was putting the L bracket at.

The friction was causing the PP adjustments to be slightly delayed and resulted in overcorrection. I moved the servo to the port side exhaust hose and it has worked better.

Try this: With the key in the off position open the throttle all the way up. Then go to your servo and release all of the tension with the knob. Grab the cable at the servo end between your fingers and you should be able to manipulate the throttle body back and forth with minimal effort. If it feels a little tight remove the hose clamps from your servo and move it around to different potential mounting locations to see if it feels better somewhere else.

The problem with using the knob is that it gives you some leverage and makes it harder to feel even somewhat significant amounts of friction in the system. I could get a much better feel by pulling the cable with my fingers. With it at the recommended location it felt fine with the knob but I almost couldn't move it at all with my fingers.

Here's where I ended up mounting mine. You can see the hose clamp still on the cooling hose at the previous location
Attached Images

Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-13-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
Thanks guy for the replies. I asked PP about the mounting location he seemed to think that it was fine mine is mounted in the same spot as yours use to be on the cooling hose on the port side, but I will try what you said and see if that helps also. Sean I am riding at 22.5mph, PP suggested that I start at 120 and go up from there then I talked to them this morning and he said to try some lower setting around 80 so I will try that also.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-13-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Also, when you're messing with the servo like I mentioned above the return spring should be snapping the throttle body closed pretty affirmatively. If it's not then your spring could be missing/weak which can cause surging issues.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-20-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
Just wanted to report that I did took your advice Jeff and I move the PP motor and dropped the KDW down to 80 and it worked great this weekend held the speed with in .3 mph. I noticed a big different in just moving the motor the line pull was a lot smoother. Thanks again for the help.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-21-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Ha! yours is doing even better than mine. I might need to drop KDW back to 80 and see how it does. I think I'm at 90 right now. I tried 130 and it was terrible. It seemed to have the opposite effect that people said it would and varied by like 3-5 MPH w/ 2,500 lbs.