Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
Started my season riding this weekend. Just did 3 sets but already started to notice that my hands (mainly my lead hand, but my rear hand also I guess from riding switch) is starting to get sore from the handle. Does this happen to other people too? I end up with 2 lines in my palm which get red and sore, then build to calluses that eventually the skin falls off of if I ride enough. The first one starts to appear just below my fingers (I've put a pic, you can see it starting below my ring, then the second one is the handle grip width lower on my palm which goes further across). Am i holding the handle wrong? I've been to wakecamps and no one has ever told me I hold the handle wrong! Or is it just that I probably need to find a handle that suits me a bit better or upgrade to a newer one (although this one doesn't look worn, maybe it is?) Or does this happen to everyone and I just need to accept it?!

http://s8.postimg.org/cnbvfvtud/hand.jpg
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-18-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
All depends what your hands are conditioned to. If you've got well developed calluses on your hands and they are used to the pulling, they'll be fine. If not, you'll get a little torn up at the start.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-18-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Some handles just suck. I myself prefer the larger diameter handles. I think they are much better on the hands then the smaller diameter ones. Just feels more natural!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
sounds like someone needs to pick up a shovel for a few weekends

Or start rock climbing... thatll do it... you should see my hands hahahaha
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-18-2014, 6:18 PM Reply   
My hands are always calloused from pull ups and barbells so holding on to a wakeboard handle is easy in comparison. Now all the other muscle groups involved is a different story. I rode a two song long set the other day and was smoked. By the end of the season 2 songs will be just getting warmed up...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2014, 6:20 PM Reply   
Seriously, im surprised no one has ever suggested climbing as some sort of training for wakeboarding....you build incredible grip strength, and after about a year of it, the connective tissue in you hands gets stronger too. And its fun
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-18-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
All depends on the handle. Its not an old school rubber tractor handle is it, they used to shred my hands. I like the chamois handles in a large diameter as someone mentioned above. It also depends on your grip, you don't need a death grip on the handle. A lot of people don't put a ton of stock in what type of handle you are using but you have to remember that it's the only reason you get to ride behind the boat, having the right handle for you is as important as have a board the right size the right bindings. Really a key underrated player in the quality of your ride.

My Buddy Colin Ryan have been using the same old accurate handle for like 10 years, refuses to use anything else. In fact when my crew is out riding we are always switch the rope and the handle for each rider.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-19-2014, 7:01 AM Reply   
Rips are not normal at all. I get a rip about once a decade (2-3 total in my life) and it is always because of bad handle pass that I didn't want to give up on.

I don't really have callouses and currently I ride a cable handle (all wood) behind the boat. The key is to think of your fingers like a hook and use your thumb as a guide. You never want to squeeze the handle to hang on. Keep the bulk of the handle in your fingers and there will be no pressure in on your hand. If you feel like you have to gorilla-grip the handle just to hang on, take a look at your technique. If you still feel like that is what it takes, look to a smaller diameter handle. I'm currently riding a 1" dowel.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-19-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
http://www.westmarine.com/straight-l...es--P000170329
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
John just beat me to it. Buy a pair of gloves. I always used to complain about the same thing and it would always cut my sets short. I started wearing a pair of gloves and I don't have that problem anymore. I also work with my hands all day, so I tend to have some decent grip and calloused hands anyway. Before I did, the gloves made a big difference. Now I wear them, not because I NEED them, but because they extend my set and get rid of that excuse, "I dropped the rope because it's hurting my hands".

Also, another tip, if you are doing something that involves gripping a lot, even with the nicest, roundest, softest, cushion cut ring (I'm describing my own, which actually looks a LOT like yours) it will eventually start wearing on your finger, especially if your finger is wet at the time. You may look into taking your ring off before a set. It will eventually wear at the spot around your ring and break the skin.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-19-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
GOOD point Surf Addict, if you have your ring on it will mess up the way you grip the handle for sure.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-19-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
For me, if I start showing any markings/wear below the base of my fingers, it usually means I'm over-gripping the handle. Typically, the handle should be out in your fingers, and not rolled up in your hand. The additional benefit is that it puts the forces onto your skeleton versus your fore-arm muscles, and should lessen arm fatigue.

And per above, if you're not ditching your ring for sets, do it, as you'll get a hot-spot from it. I just toss mine in the glove box as soon as I get in the boat.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Personally I still wear my ring most of the time, but as I said I do have fairly calloused hands and wear gloves with a decent handle. I haven't had an issue yet, but I definitely know I would if I didn't wear gloves. I will occasionally take it off just depending on how my hand is doing that day.

On a side note. My dad always wore his ring(s) without gloves slaloming all the time. He was a mechanic by trade and had very calloused hands and could grip that rope for days without issue. He did bite it really bad one time and when he got back in the boat, he noticed that one of the diamonds had come out and was now at the bottom of the river. After that he still didn't take them off, but did get a pair of gloves, not so they would help his hands or grip, but so they would catch any stones, if they fell out again. This cracked me up, but he still does it to this day.
Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I think maybe I do grip the handle a bit hard. I will work on a lighter grip more in my fingers next time out and see how that feels. I will also take my ring off.

I may buy a new handle too, I used a chamois one at a wake school once and I remember it being the most comfortable handle I've ever used so I may try and pick up an Accurate Marek chamois handle (it looks most like the one I used a couple of years back which I think was an old Accurate Murray chamois, but this years Murray handle has a diamond stitch patter).

Hopefully all that will cure things! If not I'll look at gloves!
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-19-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
Yeah it's pretty normal, especially if you haven't ridden in some time. I usually use those Oblong bandaid (blister covers) wrapped in sports tape to continue riding when the skin gets ripped off the callus. I agree with Ron too. some of the smaller diameter handles are WORSE (in my opinion) for riding, so I go with the bigger diameter handles since it gives you a bit more surface area to grip. Also some of the materials that the different companies use will eat your hand up as well or the texture of the material of the handle (I use a Ronix North handle when I ride, gives you a decent grip when it gets wet, again...just my opinion.)
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-19-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
Never wear a ring when riding. We had to cut a girls wedding ring with a pair of snips once because in was embedded into her finger and it started to swell. She was wearing gloves and said, "I always ski with my ring on."
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-19-2014, 4:21 PM Reply   
If your calluses are getting torn, the best way to prevent them from opening up is to file them down with a pumice stone or large nail file. That way you can ride for days and not have to wear skier gloves.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-20-2014, 8:21 AM Reply   
Back when I was slalom skiing I used to cut the calluses off with fingernail clippers.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-21-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
Are wakeboarders these days too cool to wear gloves? I have been wakeboarding since the mid 90's and always wore gloves. Maybe because I came from skiing since wakeboarding didn't exist when I was a kid...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-21-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Are wakeboarders these days too cool to wear gloves? I have been wakeboarding since the mid 90's and always wore gloves. Maybe because I came from skiing since wakeboarding didn't exist when I was a kid...
I know its kind of shallow, but i would rather suffer the pain of riding with some blisters than wear gloves just because I hate the way they look. I see too many dudes who have ridden like 5 times and think they're experts wearing gloves because they think it looks cool. Plus, wearing gloves tears up your handle like no other. With that being said, if you wear gloves and really don't care what other people think, more power to you!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-21-2014, 2:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
I know its kind of shallow, but i would rather suffer the pain of riding with some blisters than wear gloves just because I hate the way they look. I see too many dudes who have ridden like 5 times and think they're experts wearing gloves because they think it looks cool. Plus, wearing gloves tears up your handle like no other. With that being said, if you wear gloves and really don't care what other people think, more power to you!
Interesting that you let newbie gear selection influence your opinion.

I tend to let my riding on the water speak for itself. Don't get me wrong, I'm only "good" compared to the average person out on the river. I can throw wake-to-wakes everytime without thinking, toe-side 180's a couple of heelside grabs, some butter slides, and that's about it. So, compared to the average noob that never gets out, I'm fantastic. Compared to the people that actually have skillz and are cranking out spins and inverts, I suck.

For my job, I sit behind a desk and use a computer all day long... so my hands don't get rough that way.

I just like to get out and ride and know I'm not impressive, but I can hold my own enough not to look stupid out there. So, I'm not ashamed to rock the gloves...

Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-21-2014, 8:43 PM Reply   
I've seen multiple people lose their wedding rings in the lake while riding. Also, after your baby hands get roughed up a bit and get blisters, then they get calloused and they won't hurt no more. Kind of like swinging a baseball bat, beginning of the season my hands would be all blistered but by week 2 they would be all good. But I work in construction now so my hands are rough as he'll now.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-21-2014, 8:47 PM Reply   
On a side note, has anybody else had wakeboarding start causing carpel tunnel syndrome, I know it's a combo of wakeboarding for years and running a jackhammer everyday but I think wakeboarding definitely helped speed the process up.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-22-2014, 2:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdakoolkat View Post
On a side note, has anybody else had wakeboarding start causing carpel tunnel syndrome, I know it's a combo of wakeboarding for years and running a jackhammer everyday but I think wakeboarding definitely helped speed the process up.
I don't think wakeboarding is speeding up the process if you run a jack hammer everyday. I think you need to get your medical condition documented with your employer. Hopefully in the future you can get some kind of assistance for the condition.

To answer the OP's question. I had a similar type issue two summers ago. Working out caused large calalouses on my palms near the ring finger and when I would get them wet from wakeboarding, the handle would rip them off. I fixed the problem by wearing gloves at the gym. I always hated wearing gloves at the gym but it definitely fixed my problem. No isses out of my hands since.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-22-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdakoolkat View Post
I always thought that gripping the handle prevented CTS. I've been a computer programmer for 32 years and figured that the gripping and tension of the handle was therapeutic.

I don't care what people think of my gloves...

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-22-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
What you really need is a handle that has the shammy material on it, I ride with them daily and they are plush. once they get wet they get spongy.

http://prolineropes.com/product/proline_hybrid_handle
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-22-2014, 9:44 PM Reply   
Constant Forceful gripping can definitely contribute to carpal tunnel syndrom. But running heavy equipment is probably worst.