Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-12-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
Trying to start to slowly build a system piece by piece as the funds come in. I have decided to keep my old school 210 and basically start to build on to it.

I currently have 6 Polk Momo Coax's 80watts Rms at 4ohms
One Polk 12 that I added, and (4)Polk 6x9's on the tower in a custom box.

Currently still running the factory clarion amps which are pretty weak. I think I want to add a decent 5 channel and a decent 4 channel. I would run all 6 inboats and a sub of the 5channel. This leaves the 4 6x9's on the second 4 channel amp. I am ultimately heading towards Rev 10's on the Tower just need to wait a bit. I don't really have a ton of extra cash nor do I plan on joining any stereo comps. Just tunes for the rider and an occasional anchor spot. Currently the 2 bow speakers are run off the head unit as I have a 4 channel clarion running the sub and 4 Momos. It's no where near rms at around 50watts per momo. I also have a Clarion 2 channel running the 4 6x9's

I was originally thinking of going MB Quart class D for the $$ and features. They seem to get good reviews as midrange amps.
MB Quart OA 1100.5 for the 6 inboats and sub
MB Quart OA 800.4 for the (4) 6x9's
This way when I do the Rev 10's I have 400 watts rms going bridged to to each Rev 10 and all the inboats see the amplified signal.

Someone else recommended going with 2 PPI 900.4's instead. Leaving the head unit to hit the bow speakers . His argument was I would appreciate the built in cooling fans to keep the amp heat down. He stated the bow speakers sit so high they don't really need the extra boost. I also rarely ever have a bow full of people. I was really eying up those Onyx amps for the price. I had MB quart tower speakers in Boss cans on my 98 Air Nautique that were bombproof, but doing some research here the PPI seems to be way more talked about.

Any thoughts ?
Scrap it all and get different amps? As much as I would love Wetsounds or JL I just can't justify the cash on that quality of amp for one maybe two days a week.

Last edited by hookedonboardin; 09-12-2014 at 8:53 AM.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-22-2014, 9:10 PM Reply   
I had 2 onyx in my old x-10 did about 400 hours in the boat with them and never a problem. They are not the best sounding amp, but the only time I was at full volume I was also pulling some one or going accross the lake and couldn't tell the difference. My new x-25 has all wet sounds. And at speed it's hard to justify to 4k more price tag. Of course it's louder and cleaner, and at the cover it's great sounding. But really if it didn't come with the boat I wouldn't spend the money. Now having heard my cost effective to my mercedes.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
I HAD 2 onyx amps in my x-2. Now I have 1. My 800.4 just torched after 3 months and was lucky to have tools on board when it happened. After 10 minutes lost all sound off the amp. Went to go check it out and it was in full blown melt down mode smoke pouring out. My locker stays bone dry.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-27-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
I tried the two PP1 900.4 for the whole boat thing and it doesn't work for the sub at all. The cross over let vocals bleed through. I love my set up now but I have one ppi 900.4 for two REV 10's and it sounds real good. One ppi 900.4 for all 6 inboats. And then pick up this cheap mono amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...RZ1-1500D.html

for 89.00 for the sub and it sounds great to me.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-27-2014, 5:27 PM Reply   
If you want to use PPI, I would run at least the 900.5 on the in boats and sub and the 900.4 on the towers.

The next step up would be the Arc Audio xdi v1 or v2 series that would bridge the gap between PPI and Wetsounds. I have been eyeing the 600.4 and 1100.5 v2 series for my setup.

Last edited by BaadLS1; 10-27-2014 at 5:34 PM.