Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bigdog0)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-17-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
So I'm looking at buy a used Z3, it has 57 hours on it, everything looks great on the boat, except where the transmission is there is some surface rust on the casing and in the bilge area. I was told this boat was never used in salt water, but the owner did live in San Diego so there was salt air and the dealer told me that there was a case that the boat had water left in the bilge and the starter went bad and has been replaced, now he also said that everything else seems to be checking out ok and that all the wiring connectors are enclosed with silicone to prevent and electrical rust.

Please look at these pics and tell me what you think, i've asked a few people including PCM and tige about it and they bot said it seems fine, just clean the rust and spray it with a Salt inhibitor of some kind, my major concern isn't the rust itself, but what else could happen down the line, the boat is only 2 years old thou and the dealer is providing 1 year of warranty.

I also showed this to a mechanic friend and he said he thinks that maybe the coolant hose popped off and that is what caused the rust and that it is no big deal.

Thanks for any insight!

Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-17-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
You have no worries on that surface rust. Heck my engine mounts are already rusted but I use in salt.

I would use that as leverage to get a better deal. I bet the stuff of the tranny will just wipe off.
Imost boat owners are super anal and we don't want any imperfection in our boats.
However, go walk out to your truck and luck up under neath and look at all the rusted manifolds, driveshaft, etc. Hahaha. I bet you haven't had any problems with those components in your truck.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-18-2014, 7:47 AM Reply   
i don't know where the starter is located on this engine but the statement that water was left in the bilge in an amount that was sufficient to fry a starter has me wondering. was the level high enough for water to get in the transmission or elsewhere? how did the water level get that high?...why?
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-18-2014, 8:12 AM Reply   
I'd be very wary. I don't see how that much rust accumulated without running in salt. My boat is 15 years old, is kept in the water (fresh water), and always has water in the bilge, and that tranny, mounts, and bolts have more rust than mine. Also, water has to come up pretty freaking high to kill a starter.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-18-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
That's a LOT of rust for 2 years and 57 hours. A fried starter due to water in the bilge seems fishy to me, there would have to be a LOT of water to submerse the starter.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-18-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
I wouldn't expect to see that kind of rust on a two year old boat with 57 hours on it. The rust along with the starter story would make me very concerned. I would probably keep looking, but I'm very picky.

BTW, like Eric said above, my boat is 15 years old too and always has water in the bilge. It doesn't have any rust and my starter has been fine too.

Last edited by jmanolinsky; 09-18-2014 at 9:08 AM. Reason: corrected
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
It is obvious it had a lot of water sitting in it, from any number of sources including rain, and it was at least as deep as the shaft coupler for a while. Is that a big deal? Not really, but for extended periods it could be. If the seals are not leaking oil and there is no evidence of water in the transmission or engine I doubt you would have any problems, except for the surface rust.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-18-2014, 4:45 PM Reply   
Definitely looks like salt water damage as opposed to fresh water damage. Look at the pitting on the v drive.Starter submerged? There were 100's of gallons of water in the bilge for that to happen. Make sure it was submerged and it just didn't prematurely fail?
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-19-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
I have a perfect 2013 Z3 for sale if this one doesn't work out. I'm in CA. PM for details.

Last edited by dDubya; 09-19-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Buddy of mine has a 2013 Z3. It has a leak somewhere in the hull, we can't find it, but the boat takes on water very slowly. We found the issue when we heard a gurgling sound from the transmission. Pulled the cover and sure enough, water all the way up to the tranny and covering about 1/2 the transmission coupler (hence the gurgling sound when put in gear). We have tested the ballast and no leaks there. It's the weirdest thing, it doesn't seem to do it every time or even at the same rate. He has yet to have the dealer diagnose the problem.

But if it is a similar issue, it's definitely conceivable that the transmission was at one time under salt water.

I have another friend with the same boat, has not had one single issue (other than self induced....)
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2014, 7:17 PM Reply   
Oh and the wake is incredible behind the Z3. With the stock "pro ballast" option (I think its 2600 lbs) the wake is quite good, throw just a little bit more in, even a couple extra people in the boat and it's very good. I rode this boat once with stock full and 12 people onboard and it was insane.

Nice and steep but the transition is still smooth. I have another friend with a new Xstar and I would take the Z3 wake any day of the week (and keep $50k or so in my pocket).
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-20-2014, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Buddy of mine has a 2013 Z3. It has a leak somewhere in the hull, we can't find it, but the boat takes on water very slowly. We found the issue when we heard a gurgling sound from the transmission. Pulled the cover and sure enough, water all the way up to the tranny and covering about 1/2 the transmission coupler (hence the gurgling sound when put in gear). We have tested the ballast and no leaks there. It's the weirdest thing, it doesn't seem to do it every time or even at the same rate. He has yet to have the dealer diagnose the problem.

But if it is a similar issue, it's definitely conceivable that the transmission was at one time under salt water.

I have another friend with the same boat, has not had one single issue (other than self induced....)
The leak is the prop shaft seal. It's a common problem on 2013 and 2014 Z3's .THERE'S a quick fix for it by cleaning the seal and adding another clamp to the coupler.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-20-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
And a Vdrive doesn't end up pitted and looking like that from one time in salt water!!
Old     (bigdog0)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-21-2014, 1:08 AM Reply   
I ended up going new. Wanted the warranty and free service so in now the proud owner of a 2014 rz2! I love the look of the pickle fork anyways and I think 22' is easier to handle. Something nice about new!

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-21-2014, 3:41 AM Reply   
That's one clean looking boat. Congratulations! You will have peace of mind with the 360 service and the factory lifetime hull warranty.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-21-2014, 8:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Buddy of mine has a 2013 Z3. It has a leak somewhere in the hull, we can't find it, but the boat takes on water very slowly. We found the issue when we heard a gurgling sound from the transmission. Pulled the cover and sure enough, water all the way up to the tranny and covering about 1/2 the transmission.
Sounds like he has a broken bilge pump too.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-21-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
Good choice on getting a new boat. Once rust starts its very hard to get rid of.

Make sure you spray this stuff all over your engine every 3 months or so, and you will never have a rust problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-Corr.../dp/B001447PEK

If you don't, it will get just like that Z3, I have seen brand new boats, with 3 hours (used just for demos) and had as much rust as the z3.
Old     (bigdog0)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-21-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
Thx for advice guys, new just felt right and this boat has a way bigger stereo, taking her out tues for a demo and to take her home