Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2015, 7:10 AM Reply   
Texas' state legislature has just started a new session, with a newly elected Gov, Lt. Gov, and stronger footprint of R's in both houses. And open carry is a big topic of discussion right now.

I'm a CHL holder, and a firm believer of 2nd amendment., but I'm not a completely unfettered 2A guy. I agree that there are acceptable limits... like I wouldn't want convicted felons to be allowed to legally carry. But I've not put a lot of thought into "open carry" and my gut reaction is I think it pushes up to the edge of what I would consider an acceptable limit. I know a few other states have adopted it already (or have had it for a while already). I'm kinda okay w/the status quo of CHL laws in Texas.

Anyone have any compelling thoughts on this one way or the other? Or any of you that live in states that allow open carry, what's your take on it?
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-29-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
We have open carry in Kansas and I live in Kansas City, KS. This law went into place last year and we haven't had any problems at all. You don't see many people doing it. I think if you do open carry, you are going to be the first target of a bad guy if something does happen. A CCW holder is at a big advantage compared to open carry.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-29-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
We have it in ga and it doesn't bother me when I see someone open carrying. I don't unless I'm on the way to the range or something and even then I usually don't but it's a nice option to have. I would say I see someone open carry 1-2 times/month and I'm metro atlanta area so I'm sure further out it's even more common.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-29-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
It looks like Texas was one of only 5 states in the whole country that didn't allow open carry (+DC). Most states don't even require a permit for open carry. I was amazed when I discovered this as it seemed to contradict what Texas was about. It does look like the states that didn't allow open carry were also the states with the highest populations. More people equals more problems and this may be the thing that screws it up for Texas. Large groups of people can screw up common sense every time it seems. You'll have to see.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2015, 7:48 AM Reply   
http://chrishernandezauthor.com/2014...st-open-carry/

I found this article on the topic.

In a purely libertarian sense, I suppose I'm not opposed to changing the law to allow it for other people. But I would not (at this point) open carry myself. For much of the same reasons as noted in the article above.

I also think I'd be perfectly fine w/some middle-ground changes. Like, you can't carry openly, but anyone who's legally able to (non-felons, legal age, etc) should be able to do so w/o having to obtain a license. With the onus on you if you don't know the law around when and where you can or can't legally carry (which is what most of the required CHL course material is designed to teach you). The proficiency test in a CHL class is pretty much a joke. Most people simply don't practice enough w/handguns to hit the broad side of a barn from more than 10 ft away.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-29-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
I am in KS too. I am also a CHL holder. Open carry hasn't been a problem. I can't say I am a fan of it, but you just don't see people doing it. NOW, the new bill in front of the KS senate that will allow everyone to conceal carry without permit, or background checks could be a problem, and I am totally against it. People need training if they have not been around guns much, and background checks should be a certainty, especially to check for mental illness.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
I'm in CO and have a CCW permit. I have only noticed 2 people ever open carrying other than police officers/military. The one guy was a total hipster dude with the big handlebar mustache and he seriously had an old west holster(leather with stars on it) setup with a Colt style 6 shooter in it. He looked like such a douche but I had to admit, he's braver than I am. The other time, I was in a Chipotle/Qdoba right after the big stink on the news about the guys carrying AR's into a restaurant to exercise their 2nd Amendment and this guy had 2 Glocks on him. Guess he was trying to prove a point? I don't have a problem with people open carrying as long as it is in a holster and you aren't trying to be a bad azz or a hero.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-29-2015, 6:45 PM Reply   
I hope this is relevant and dosent hyjack the thread.
Legal gun owner and CCW permit holder walks into a walmart. A guy sees his gun and holster and thinks he is about to hold the place up or gun down strangers.
He tackles the guy and gets his gun from him. This could have gone very wrong with the guy who decided to tackle the guy and take his gun from him
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/01/2...mart-vigilante
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2015, 8:51 PM Reply   
Yikes! You definitely have to make sure that it's concealed!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-29-2015, 9:25 PM Reply   
You don't have to conceal if you're white...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-31-2015, 4:24 PM Reply   
^^^^ Hellow Troll ^^^^
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-31-2015, 6:00 PM Reply   
Seriously Grant, we all no your no speling be champ butt even my 4 yeer old neese can spel hello. It's an act, right?

Anyways, I think you get my point. Tons of white crazies carry rifles and shotguns and whatever else into chipotle, down the street, etc. but one black geezer legally walks into a shop and he's tackled immediately lol. Not to mention the guy who picked up a toy IN THE STORE where it's being sold and was gunned down by police with no provocation.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-31-2015, 9:40 PM Reply   
Dear Mr Troll how do you spell "White Guilt". Wes I think you lived in Bearkley to long.

Fact of the matter both party's share the blame.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-01-2015, 8:18 AM Reply   
I am not an open carry fan.
I am a supporter of concealed carry.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-02-2015, 4:38 AM Reply   
Since most of the crime is committed by blacks in this country its understandable why a black guy with a gun would raise more suspicion. I do not condone the actions of the security guard but he was right in being suspicious.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-02-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
Just saw this on the local news site, Colorado is trying to make it to legal to conceal carry WITHOUT a permit. No thanks! I already didn't feel comfortable with the lax amount of training they required for someone to get a permit to conceal carry and now they want anyone to be able to do so?
http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...ile=032_01.pdf
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-02-2015, 1:08 PM Reply   
I'm in TX and have a CHL. You CAN open carry in TX, just not handguns.

From a legal perspective, I'm for open carry, only because I don't think the government should regulate how a law abiding citizen chooses to carry his personal protection.

However, from a practical standpoint, I would never do it, even if it was legal. Just makes you a target. The only advantage open carry would have for me is not being bothered by having perfect concealment at all times. I can just wear normal stuff and if an overreach here or there briefly prints\exposes, its not a big deal.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-03-2015, 6:26 AM Reply   
The bill states you still have to comply with state and federal regulations . It looks like they are removing the time effort and cost involved with legal citizens to exercise their 2nd amendment right. I think the more people that carry the less crime there will be. Who is the government to apply restrictions to the 2nd amendment
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-03-2015, 7:27 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if Froggy actually wakeboards or even knows what wakeboarding is? He only comments on the political posts and he always comes up with the absolutely most ignorant and far right ridiculousness or absolute racism that anyone can think of. As dumb as he seems, I don't think he can afford a wakeboard, much less a boat. He has no information in his profile which indicates to me that he might just be some kind of political troll from the KKK or some kind of Nazi skinhead.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-03-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
^^^^This
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2015, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ssr View Post
I'm in TX and have a CHL. You CAN open carry in TX, just not handguns.

From a legal perspective, I'm for open carry, only because I don't think the government should regulate how a law abiding citizen chooses to carry his personal protection.

However, from a practical standpoint, I would never do it, even if it was legal. Just makes you a target. The only advantage open carry would have for me is not being bothered by having perfect concealment at all times. I can just wear normal stuff and if an overreach here or there briefly prints\exposes, its not a big deal.
There's a weird gray area with this in CO from what our CCW instructor told us. You are either open carrying or you are not. If you are conceal carry and someone see's your weapon and freaks out, you can somehow get in trouble for it? I don't recall exactly but your concealed carry should never be partially visible. I need to research that one...
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-03-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
Wow Eric spoken like a true liberal . You don't like hearing the truth so attack the messenger. So lets break it down you question if I wakeboard and even have a boat because I post a political comment in a political thread in the NON WAKEBOARDING DISSCUSSION category. Then you proceed to call me numerous names and because I don't think like you I must be a racist . I have been around WW long enough to know not to give out any personal information its only used against you here. Its obvious you are just another liberal spewing out the liberal talking points and drinking the liberal Kool-Aid. Someday maybe you will wake up and start thinking for yourself then maybe you will back your argument with facts instead of childish name calling.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2015, 2:33 PM Reply   
Hmm ... using real name is is bad ??? using troll name is good ??? Well, you sent me into a spin ....

Joe Umali - real name - troll (albeit he 'evolved' into troll over time ... for whatever reasons he just eventually became more bitter ... vitriolic ... and had no good will for anybody);

Wes Pesos - troll name - and needless to say, troll (albeit, he might be trying to impress he is SO superior in intellect and moral sensibility ... but shares the same characteristic as having no good will for anybody).

So, here:-- if you troll, you're a troll ... real name or nom de troll regardless.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-17-2015, 11:10 PM Reply   
BAAAACCCKKKK to the topic at hand coming from an open carry state (NC) i have actually seen it used maybe idk 5 times as far as handguns go, granted 100+ times as far as in trucks (but im from the country and who cares if you have a gun on your back window if that's your prerogative) Once going off to college I haven't seen it I dont think, only one terribly "concealed" glock that was on the person of someone I decided to distance myself from, he seemed intoxicated, touchy and unsafe in his positioning of the pistol. All open carry's I have seen other than that have seemed very safe and I felt very comfortable around them. As far as OC goes I think the people carrying are rarely dangerous (minus the hotshots i could see trying to act tuff like hipster guy mentioned earlier^^) Its more the reactions of people around, or the possibility of someone reaching for your weapon. I don't love concealed carry because I know of a good few people that I consider INCREDIBLY dangerous, both in decision making, and NO DAMN CLUE HOW TO USE A FIREARM and I now just assume they are always hot whenever I am around them, therefore I am always watching. Really, CC classes here are a joke, and 5/10 people couldn't hit a guy 5 ft from them nor would they understand that bullet has a trajectory after hitting someone.

Do I have a problem with open carry? No, I have done it with long rifles, and would do it on certain occasions with a revolver maybe passing through the country store. But never ever our in dense public where others might touch it/freak out.
In all honesty I think it is technically "safer" than concealed carry in lots of situations. I honestly don't want to know what fool around me in walmart is hot because I dont think I could get anything done, atleast out in the open I could actually know and watch them.

OC - yea / do I - no
CC - yea / do I - no
should you be able to have guns if you want to have a gun/arent a fellon - yea
do I own a gun - yea
how many - enough
should people have to get educated on this insanely dangerous piece of equipment they are hiding - yea
do I believe the more people that carry the less violence there will be - hell no. have you not noticed how irrately stupid people in this world are? People that cant make a correct 3 point turn in an empty parking lot with an automatic? However, when I step from my private land that I borrow from the Earth and into public land I understand that means someone might kill me with a gun today, and so be it too many of us here anyway
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2015, 8:29 AM Reply   
I feel it should be up to the individual themselves whether they want to open carry, concealed carry or not carry at all. This entire business of limiting people's rights is complete bull by requiring them to have a license to carry a firearm (although having people prove that they've taken safety courses to carry much like taking safety courses for driving cars or boats is a good idea)

Bottom line, it should be the individual's choice and not the mob majority's rule by the individual state whether people should be "allowed" to carry a firearm and how they "can" carry. Of course, if you're a convicted felon, then yes you should be limited to being able to carry a firearm in public regardless of how you'd want to carry it (unless you've been aquitted, which is on a different level entirely); keeping one in the home however is ANOTHER story entirely.

I'm all for Constitutional Carry: carry your weapon openly, concealed, however. except if you've been convicted of a felony like aggravated assault with a deadly weapon etc. especially if it involved a gun. The severity of the crime committed to warrant a felony should be a big consideration.

Take that idiot in Chapel Hill N.C. that shot and killed three people (regardless of whether they were of Muslim faith or not). HE had a license to carry, but like ALL bad apples, he abused it.

Not ONLY should he do prison time for their deaths, He should LOSE the ability to EVER be able to carry a firearm again IF he gets out of prison, end of story. especially since he killed them over something as asinine a reason as a parking space

Last edited by quik876; 02-18-2015 at 8:34 AM.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-18-2015, 10:26 AM Reply   
^ As a UNC student I know people who have lived in that community and they have mentioned him showing up to their door with weapons before. He should have lost his ability to carry weapons long ago.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
^ As a UNC student I know people who have lived in that community and they have mentioned him showing up to their door with weapons before. He should have lost his ability to carry weapons long ago.
No doubt. That guy is DEFINITELY the type these anti gun tweakos WANT to see in the news.

Someone with a short fuse and an even shorter penchant for pullin' the trigger especially for stupid reasons like an argument over a parking spot. guys like him give good gun owners a bad rap from the get go. And the anti-gunner tweaks ALWAYS jump on that because it suits their narratives with just the bare minimum of what they need to make an "argument" and disregard the other more important facts. Like his dealings with the likes of the Southern Poverty Law group, whose KNOWN for troublemaking fare.

And couple that with the fact that he was an atheist tells you then and there that there was nothing religious about it (he woulda shot ANYONE he thought was taking his parking spot regardess of WHO they were, much less what religion they belonged to) unlike what CNN talking to the sister of the victims would have people believe with her comment that American Sniper is to blame for this which it's not...I mean honestly, has ANYONE who pulled something like this said they did it because they watched American Sniper? This was the ONLY incident we know of thus far, and from what I can tell that knucklehead never made mention that he saw the movie.

That victim's sister is just putting her own conjecture on this because by her ideas it puts a bad light on muslims as a whole rather than just the few that really ARE the problem.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-18-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
I think all these scenarios are seen through each different persons "narrative" and while I understand your position about those "anti-gun tweakos" it is pretty much identical for the radicals on either side. Anyone can tell exactly the arguments both sides are gonna spew from each of these cases. I dont have all the info on the case nor does anyone else. I also disagree that just because he is Atheist doesnt mean it couldnt be a religious based hate chrime.

In the end it was 3 great people who died in a terrible situation that could and should have been extinguished long ago.

But lets real it back in, what are arguments against open carry specifically?
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-18-2015, 12:34 PM Reply   
The most sound I have seen have revolved- aha- around other people freaking out and doing stupid things.