Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       07-27-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
So last night we were waiting for all the tubers to leave our local lake and that normally happens between 5-6 on Sunday nights. I had my brother in the boat with me and he isn't a huge water sports guy but he has pulled me several times behind the boat. And while he may not go in perfectly straight lines, perfect pass keeps things where I can at least enjoy a set, which is much better than just floating and watching everyone else ride. I was getting ready to ride and my wife, who did not grow up on water and is basically terrified of it, pipes up and say's I'll drive!. Now keep in mind we have been married 12 years and have owned several boats, she has never once driven and pulled someone. She has putted around in idle zones but only driven it at speed a couple times. I was about to fall out of the boat when she said it. I was fully prepared to get pulled in circles but honestly I could have cared less, I was just so excited that she wanted to try it. So not only did she do a fantastic job pulling in straight lines but she didn't even do a power turn to come back and pick me up, she simply let the front end down and pulled right up next to me and said let's do that again it was fun!! At this point I could have cared less what I was doing I was just so overwhelmed with excitement that I just smiled and said ok. She dropped the rope right on my head, tightened up and away we went. To say my wife just increased her stock would be an understatement!!!!!!!!!! We had our two year old in the boat and he just say and smiled and watched mom drive and dad ride. To me, last night was about as good as it gets. Then to top it all off I landed a front roll last night for the first time ever, yeah it was on a kneeboard but it was still on my list of things I wanted to accomplish so the fact that I did it with my wife driving just made it that much better. Boating has just taken on a whole new meaning for me, and I just wanted to share my story! I guess all these years of riding in the boat while the guys rode she was paying attention and just waiting for her moment.
Old     (Captainkurk72)      Join Date: Feb 2015       07-27-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
That is awsome and your relationship with your wife has gone to a new level. I wish I could same the same as mine has tried but got fired from the job. However my 14 yo daughter has stepped up and is doing better than I could have imagined. Wakebaording and surf towing. This is the first year after many years I have been able to sit in the bow and relax. It's a great feeling and truly a fun family day. I am sure my wife will take the helm again someday.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2015, 3:39 PM Reply   
That's awesome. I taught my wife years ago and although she doesn't get out much (baby minding) she always does a great job. I was more proud when she took the time to learn how to back up the truck and trailer so we can efficient at the boat launch. Always makes me smile when the wife can rock star a trailer in better than some men.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-28-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
I'm with you Dave. I gave my wife a choice when we got into boating that she can learn to drive and trailer the boat or learn to back up the truck and trailer. She chose to back up the trailer and know she is a master at it, better then 90% of the men at the boat ramp. I can't count the compliments she gets from people when they see her jump in the truck and back it down the ramp. She also is the other main driver of the boat. It is a good feeling knowing I can have complete trust in her when she is driving both the boat and the truck.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-28-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
Awesome! I wish I could get my wife to drive the boat. I also wish I could get her to back the trailer but that's just being unrealistic...
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-28-2015, 7:23 AM Reply   
Congrats! My wife also was new to boating with me (11 years ago) and never wanted to drive or ride. She now pulls me like a champ and puts the boat on the trailer while I get the truck.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
Taught my wife this year. She drives better than some veteran boat drivers. Like yours her stock went way up!
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-28-2015, 7:59 AM Reply   
Pretty much the same story here. My wife wouldn't help years ago when we got our first boat. She used to complain that I always had my friends with me and didn't ever do family day at the lake. I explained that if she wasn't going to help then I needed to bring friends. Since then she loads the boat on the trailer, docks like a champ, and has gotten very good at driving the boat. I's cool to hear the other guys comment "man, I wish my wife would help..." at the ramp whenever we launch. Boosts her confidence too which makes her even hotter in my eyes.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2015, 8:54 AM Reply   
Married 5 years dated 5 years before that.

She was around for my first Nautique with no pefectpass and learned to pull me pretty well without perfectpass. Once I saw we could get through a set with no speed control and we didn't kill each other. I knew she was the one for me.

Now It took me until this year to get her confidence back enough to put the boat on the trailer. The first year I owned the nautique she was putting it on the trailer and listened to her dad (who has never owned a boat). When he told her she need to go faster and she rammed the pylon. Put a nice 3 foot long scratch down the side of the boat and said she would never trailer it again. But now I grab the truck and she puts it on the trailer.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-28-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
wow i wouldnt hardly ever wakeboard if my wife didnt drive. never really understood why so many have issues with their wife driving.