Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-30-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Hey My name's Jordan and I'm 16. I started riding when I was 12, but i've been skiing since I was 4... I'm going to enter comps this year and have no idea what to expect, I have no idea how good I am compared to the kids I will be competing against. I think i'm pretty well off, I can do backrolls, tantrums, scarecrows, roll to reverts, and 3's pretty consistently, but I don't know if those are good enough to win. If you can, please let me know how good you were at 16 years old and/or what to expect from my competition. Thanks a lot!
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-30-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
16... So long ago. Many firsts happened at that age. I dunked a basketball, got my first car (a '91 Chevy Blazer), and got to second base for the first time.

Don't worry so much about what everyone else is doing. All you can give it is your best. I have never competed at riding, but at other sports (High school basketball and soccer) I found that I did my best when I relaxed a little and didn't take things too seriously.
Old     (ryangb)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-30-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
Ya man. Dont worry about it. Just go out, have fun and ride your best.
Old     (RJ)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2013, 10:05 PM Reply   
when I was 16 I was terrible, I never even though of throwing an invert...then again I only rode 4 times a year haha...But that would be a good run for a grassroots competition for sure, especially if you have style in the grabs and/or 180's you plan on mixing in your run.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-01-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
they didn't have wakeboarding when I was 16! Have fun- good to be young!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-01-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
Another 16 year old Jordan on here! Well I'm 17 now, but last season I was 16 though.. We have a similar bag of tricks (I assume that yours are W2W) and basically the same backstory (skiing as long as I can remember, got a board for christmas when I was 11) I haven't ridden in any wake comps as INT is just starting its first season here in MN, but I do ride cable and have been in a couple of the comps our local place has held, taking 4th in the advanced division whereas most the rest of my age group was riding a level down. I'd say that at 16 thats a pretty solid back of tricks to be running with, maybe push yourself this season for more TS tricks and maybe spin your 3's (and eventually 5's) BS if you don't already. Competition wise, you can ride in different levels/divisions to level the playing field. You obviously won't ride beginner but you know what I mean. Comps are good and all, but you're 16 man! Call up your friends and go hang on the lake instead of hanging yourself up on what you might look like stacked up against other guys.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-13-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Another 16 year old Jordan on here! Well I'm 17 now, but last season I was 16 though.. We have a similar bag of tricks (I assume that yours are W2W) and basically the same backstory (skiing as long as I can remember, got a board for christmas when I was 11) I haven't ridden in any wake comps as INT is just starting its first season here in MN, but I do ride
Ha INT just hasnt happened in MN in a bit. INT was around in the mid to late 90s till about 2007. That's funny and makes me feel old!

Man at 16 the only thing you should be worrying about is getting AIR RALEYS down cause they get chicks! HAHAHAHA. Just have fun, dont worry about anything else. Seriously just fill fill the boat with chicks and do raleys and glides...
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-01-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
I imagine that most of us on this website at 16 were still waterskiing and waiting for the Skurfer to be invented. My son got up on the wakeboard for the first time at 6 and at 9 he is still afraid of the wakes. His 9 year old cousin is jumping but certainly not wake to wake yet. My 8 year old daughter hasn't gotten up solidly yet but I think this summer will be her year. How I envy them.
Old     (JonathanPlotz)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-01-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
hey man its pretty cool how you recognized me from youtube! last year was my first year of competing (i was 16) and i rode INT league in north carolina and won men's advanced division for the year. i'm riding in expert division this year. i had pretty much the same tricks that you mentioned. since then i've got a 540's and back 3's. i plan on working on mobes this summer too! you should have some fun competing this year with that bag of tricks. just have fun and keep pushing yourself!!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-02-2013, 5:38 AM Reply   
I was about to try a new thing called a kneeboard which would get me hooked on watersports. A few years later I was hitting the course and doing barefoot starts from bridges.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-02-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
Do what you have down pat don't try to force inconsistent tricks, if you can mirror your tricks ( doing them switch) you'll be king of the tournament !!
Itch
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2013, 3:15 PM Reply   
16.....So the year was 1988.......?? Slalom...........barefoot.........and kneeboard......Moonwalk was getting better and better!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2013, 5:22 PM Reply   
When i was 16 Slalom was all there was.Ski's were made of wood too.So your WAY BETTER than i was.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2013, 5:41 AM Reply   
what ever you or anyone else is doing it will never compare to what harley clifford or parks bonifay were doing at that age so it really doesn't matter
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
I had never touched a wakeboard at age 16. If you have, count yourself lucky. It's so much easier to learn stuff and recover from injuries when you're that age.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-13-2013, 7:55 AM Reply   
not much, i was learning to jump toeside and doing 180s. busted my ankle at 17, only surfed for 2 summers and now at a ripe old age of 21 am back on my game . my advice would be progress at a good pace, take it easy if you need to, stay flexible and work out, strength and endurance help prevent injuries
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-13-2013, 7:25 PM Reply   
I happen to know INT in not coming back to MN this year even though it was supposed to. It's too bad, I was looking forward to it as well.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-13-2013, 8:15 PM Reply   
I had heard only stories of INT haha I meant first season back! And Lou, it's not?! I had heard good things for it in oh, March I think! What happened do you know?
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-13-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hey Jordan heres a vid of my 16yo. Actually, he's coming to the states in June (our winter) for 3 months to learn and do some comps. Will he get his ### kicked.. you bet...does it matter?.. nope! The experience he will gain from being able to ride every day in the best wake scene in the world is what counts! Sounds like you are doing real well for your age? Keep at it and more importantly.. have fun!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODdftDnEw0M
Watch in HD