Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-17-2012, 5:21 PM Reply   
Finally got out today to look at the X-30 we found. I guess the first thing to say is that I was pretty disappointed in the condition and quality of the boat. It wasn't a really high hour boat, but looked like it was. There was a lot of loose panels, cracks in panels around the screws, loose seats, loose hinges, etc. This is a 2004 with right around 500 hours. I thought MC was known for their quality and fit and finish?? You can tell the quality a lot better when the boat is 10-15 years old then when they are all shiny and new. My off brand 1997 Pro Am Skier is in the same condition if not better than the MC which is supposed to be the creme of the crop for quality. With all that said we do like the size and lay out of the boat. Just will need some repair to be in the condition we want. So if we can buy accordingly I may be interested.

Hull is pretty good. Few marks around but nothing out of the ordinary. Does have several open spots to glass along the lower chine. Maybe a half dozen about the size of a pencil eraser. Probably gel voids by where they are at. Would ask the dealer to repair these. Trailer looks good.

Inside. Vinyl is terrible. Not from use but looks like it was poor quality product used. The dealer said this was common in those years. Lots of separation and pulling at seems, color bleed. Really poor overall condition. Could tell it is workmanship/quality and not damage because it's thru out the boat. Carpet is really short and matted down. Looks like the same cheap carpet thats in my Pro am, but again I expect better in a MC. Panel by the throttle has almost all of the screw holes busted out from either bouncing or hull flex. Drivers seats rocks like a lazy boy!!

The boat is optioned as follows: MCX motor, tower, racks, tower speakers, bimini, lights, clarion stereo with 6 speakers in the boat plus a 12 and 2 amps, cover, perfect pass, factory ballast(hard tanks with center bag), depth finder, etc.

Boat is at a dealer and they are asking $36,500. With options NADA average is 34K and 30K low. I would consider this a low book boat for my area. When I asked where they were at with it the guy told me make him an offer. He's a Malibu dealer and said he didn't want to sit on it.

So any experience with this boat I would love to hear. Also anyone know about the vinyl issue? Can I still get factory skins? Estimated cost to replace..thats a lot of vinyl!!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-17-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
Also forgot to say considering condition what would you think is a fair offer. I am trading my boat and have been offered 10k for it from 2 other dealers. So my first thought was my boat and $20K. But I wonder should I offer lower?

Also he told me that these things drive barely better than an I/O due to no tracking fins. Told me how the Malibu's were so much better. Sure he is right but they are also out of my budget!!
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2012, 9:36 PM Reply   
All I know is I would laugh at my dealer if he was trying to sell a beat up 2004 X-30 with 500 hours for $36,500! Once you replace the vinyl and such you will be into that thing well over $40k ouch. My advice... keep looking. For that price range you can find a very nice, well kept boat. This one doesn't sound like it was well kept which would scare the crap out of me if I was paying $36k for it!

Don't know what I would offer without seeing the boat, but if I see a boat with trashed vinyl there is definitely no way I paying even low book value.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-17-2012, 10:37 PM Reply   
$36K for a trashed 2004!! Keep looking! My rule of thumb is that only saw HALF of the damage/issues the first time you look at that boat. Even if you get a great deal (must be below $30k), it will always be trashed. Sounds like you have plenty of money to get a nice boat.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-18-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Ok. First thing is I sold my 2003 X30 in immaculate condition for 35k. The quality of the boat has nothing to do with the previous owner treating it like crap, any boat that is neglected will be in bad shape.

Sounds to me like your dealer is nuts. First of all that price is way out of line if it is as damaged as you indicate.

Second, that year 30 handles pretty well, if you put on the newer rudder they handle really well.

All said I sold my 03 with 750 hours for 35, it was in like new condition. I would say anything over 30k for this boat would be to much. If it is in this bad of shape then it will have problems from years of lacking proper maintenance.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-18-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Hours don't mean everything on a boat.....just like miles don't really mean everything in a car.

Think - 100k completely abusive LA traffic miles vs 150k really easy grandpa driving across country miles.

Or on a boat - drive 30 minutes to cove and party for 10 hours with 15 people on your boat walking around and being obnoxious wearing out carpet, seats, etc... or go out for 2 hours of fairly easy wakeboarding.

My 2004 MC is ROCK solid and it has 1000 hours of serious wakeboarding...

I didn't realize the 30's of that generation had no tracking fins
The new X2's don't either and they are pig-like handling.

My advise is keep looking. I would echo that you probably only saw half of what was wrong. Boats are like that...
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
Keep looking for sure! There are tons of great wakeboarding boats available in the mid 30s. I just did a search on Onlyinboards.com and there are a lot of boats in much better condition in the 30-37k range.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-18-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
Vinyl was pretty rough in those years. I think 01-04 had really bad vinyl. I've had to replace a good amount of the vinyl in my 2003 mastercraft.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-18-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
The wife agrees with the majority. She says she doesn't want to pay 30K for a beat up boat. Have a line on a 08 Tige 22Ve from my sisters renter, but its a long drive away and I'd have to buy it pretty much site unseen. Bought new in 2010, original owner with around 90 hours and not a scratch he says. Looks great in pictures.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-18-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Maybe if you post the location someone on here can go take a look for you if they are local? Sounds like it could be a good find.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       08-19-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
sounds like it was not taken care of. the vinyl isn't that hard to do and will run somewhere close to 2-3K for the whole boat. saying that hull won't handle better than an I/O is silly. no, its not a DD with fins. my 02 has a trim tab and the old (smaller) rudder. honestly, i haven't found a time this summer that i've said, "I wish it handled better so I need to buy the larger rudder".
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-19-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
Man if I could get that whole boat done for under $3000 I would probably buy it. The rest of the boat is not to bad. Couple panels and redo the floors like in the Epics. Would be great. The dealer and my usual upholstery guy quoted me at least $5000 for the whole boat. Vinyl is one of the most expensive items to do in the boat.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-19-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
I redid the entire interior on my boat, no skins the upholstery shop did it from scratch. Ran me 3500, but that was two tone with MC logos and custom piping. I would low ball him and then take it to a dealer for compression check and general run through and lake test. I know my local MC dealer will do all of that and look up service records for about 200, well worth the money to know what you are getting into.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-19-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
The boat is at a dealer. But a Malibu dealer and not Mastercraft.