Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-08-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
Hey guys sorry to bug you all with my boat priceing but im GOING to find a good boat and not get ripped off i found a 99 sunsetter vlx with 480Hr and super clean. he wanted 19k but i got him down to 17k No tower on it now. dose that price sound like a decent price or should i try and talk him down a bit more thanks guys
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-08-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
a guy in my neighborhood sold a 1998 Response LX for $3.5k, no tower either, but worked.

My suggestion is to wait a bit till fall to buy a boat.

I was able to buy a '01 DD Mobius for $7k in fall, and sold it for $20k in spring.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-08-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
Those are awsome price i will agree with that im not looking to get the best deal of the year but deffley wanna get a fair price. im currently over seas and i want to have a boat in aug when i get back. im just kinda using NADA to see if its a desent deal or not that boat prices out at 17,800 avrage and 15,500 low and looking at price around my area i cant find a single boat at the blue book or below so i thought it was ok any one else have a say on this one i apprisiate all the info i can get as he is getting it summerized this week and im going to have to make a desision soon
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-08-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
I would think a nicely equipped 99 sunsetter vlx with tower, ballast, PP that is in good shape with those hours should be in the 20-23k range. IF it doesn't have any of those you will have to add them. You cold do a starone(old titan) series II tower for 1500-2000, 500 for racks, 1500-2000 for triple auto ballast, 1200-1500 for PP plus other stuff you want to add. That is going to come to about 5 grand. IF you can get the boat for 17 add that 5 and you are at 22k. That aint bad for a boat that has been used with no ballast, but after those add ons has brand new ballast, tower, pp. The nice thing is you would get to pick exactly what you wanted to and how to do it when you are starting from a base boat. This is all assuming the boat is in good shape as far as gelcoat, interior go and good mechanical shape. Also, remember that you may have to add another $500 for a bimini, 800 for a cover(custom sunbrella) though if it has a nice cover you could probably pay a couple hundred and have it modified for the tower.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
Hey brett i hear wear your coming from i actully just boat a tower for my old boat find out the boat has a bunch of dry rot i didnt notice and its getting bad so i have a tower that will fit it and as far as balasts i think that will be a winter project to fab up some nice alluminume tanks and pump system. Im currently working on the guy im thinkin i might be able to get down in the 16k range witch i think would be a pretty good price if the pre buy inspection comes back clean. thanks for all the input guys any more thoughts are always apprisiated
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin86 View Post
Hey brett i hear wear your coming from i actully just boat a tower for my old boat find out the boat has a bunch of dry rot i didnt notice and its getting bad so i have a tower that will fit it and as far as balasts i think that will be a winter project to fab up some nice alluminume tanks and pump system. Im currently working on the guy im thinkin i might be able to get down in the 16k range witch i think would be a pretty good price if the pre buy inspection comes back clean. thanks for all the input guys any more thoughts are always apprisiated
Corby, my prices on the tower kind of had to do with a comparison sake to a boat that already had that stuff. If you have a tower already awesome. Then you can use manual ballast sacks for this year and upgrade that over the winter to automatic. PP can be added whenever and now with GPS I don't think you even need to drill a hole in the boattom of the boat. I think 16k would be a good price if it is in good working and looking condition.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Yeah brett i already have to tower and ordered 4 rev10s and two syn4 amps and a alpine head unit so im set all exept the ballests. In conparison to my old 19 foot stern drive what kind of wake should i expect out of this sunsetter with no ballasts but i think im going to run 4 batterys 3 for stereo and 1 for starting so it wont be much weight but may help a little.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
I think the wake will probably be rampier then an I/O and might not be huge with no ballast. That said it will be very clean and consistant and holding speed should be a lot easier. Does the boat have a wedge?
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
i dont think it has a wedge
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
I would buy a couple 750's for the rear and whatever is the biggest/best sack for the ski locker in the walkway. That will give you a good start.
Old     (corbin86)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
Deffently well right now i probably wont need a huge wake becuase my or my girl have not wake boarded much so no ballasts will probably be ok for a bit
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-11-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
can you just add a wedge? Or is that something only a dealer would be able to do.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-11-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
can you just add a wedge? Or is that something only a dealer would be able to do.
Depends. If it has the bracket (some boats were ordered that way), you just need to install the foil. If it doesn't have the bracket, drilling is required. All pretty straight forward DIY stuff if you have some common sense and basic understanding of hand tools and a drill.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2012, 4:57 PM Reply   
Corby, do a little research on the diamond vs. non-diamond hulls on those boats. Depending on how you are going to use the boat will dictate both the hull preference and the wedge preference. I personally own a 2000 vlx that is wedge-less (non-diamond hull) and after some research and discussions with industry peeps I never installed the wedge and could not be happier. However I did weight it pretty heavily when I was serious about my riding.