Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-16-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
I have no idea of the quality of this amp but thought it might provide a budget solutions for those adding tower speakers. Maybe that new Kicker set coming out?

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-136-x...annel-amp.aspx
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2010, 4:33 AM Reply   
I dont believe the mid and horn of the new Kicker KM6500.2's are designed to be run on separate channels. The impedance of the mid and horn need to sum to make 4ohm. The ideal amp is a 2 chnl. Anyway, not sure i'd spend that kinda money on a tower setup, then drive it with a $99 amp $.02
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-17-2010, 4:58 AM Reply   
That amp was designed to power the equivalent of XTP's version of some component horn speakers. It will do well on a set of tower speakers. It is a marine grade amp that is not overrated in wattage. It's a smoking deal for $99.

Last edited by chattwake; 03-17-2010 at 5:06 AM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-17-2010, 5:05 AM Reply   
Also, that amp was designed to run as a 2 or 4 channel amp. I'm not sure that the description on MT's website is accurate regarding how channels 3 and 4 can be used. There is a built in crossover, but it can be turned off.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-17-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
After looking back at the amp, it doesn't appear that you can turn off the crossover on channels 3 and 4 like I thought. Seems like this would be a good amp for any horns though.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-17-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
yeah, looks like this puts out plenty of power. I've never read on here about anyone running an active xover network to their HLCDs (note that with this amp you would not use a crossover, you'd rely on the amp's internal xover), but would be interested to hear how it would sound. Seems like going active would give you the ability to tune away alot of the complaints we hear about HLCDs (i.e. harsh highs, etc).
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-17-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
I don't know for sure tigemike but it would seem like XTP thought about getting into the HLCD game but didn't. I thinking this amp would probably worth the money as more than likely if they had come out with a HLCD setup it would have been sold at a premium to go with it. I have no facts to back this up but just because it's only $99 I bet it's more than capable.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-17-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
The quality of any amplifier this cheap would be a real concern.

That amplifier has no lowpass or bandpass for the midbass driver if you choose to bi-amp.

A basic active crossover like this has control over frequency and gain but the slope is fixed. Where as a very well designed passive crossover can be nearly parametric in its function. It can address the variable impedance of and sharp impedance rise at the HLCD's resonance. It can be a first, second, third order slipe. Just scratching the surface.

The power ratio might typically be 75 percent to the midbass and 25 percent to the horn tweeter so putting a bi-amped system in some people's hands is likely to be a prescription for a toasted tweeter.

Also, there's no appreciable increase in output or efficiency as you would see an active system at lower sub-to-satellite crossover points.

Who would want to run double the conductors up the tower if there's no real benefit?

No warranty on XTP amps?

Can't defeat the crossover?

Does it have biasing pots or is it Class B?

If this amplifier was conceived for tower speakers it must have been by someone who doesn't know much about audio.

Its a dog with flees which may be why its being dumped cheap.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-17-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
bjeremi-

The proper amplifier for the Kicker KM6500.2 Tower Components will be a stereo power amplifier like the ZXM450.2 marine amplifier.

shawndoggy-

Unfortunately, an active crossover would not do much to counteract that sound that so many folks complain about with the HLCD product out there to date. That "horn" sound is a result of horn geometry, not the crossover; .going active with the crossover won't do much to counteract it. To get rid of that "horn" sound, you typically have to change the horn geometry to something with a constantly changing flare rate; something that cannot support standing wave resonance.

Phil
Kicker

Last edited by philwsailz; 03-17-2010 at 2:28 PM.