Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-10-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Personal Disclaimer: I have a vimeo account littered with mediocre edits... but i'm not a professional, therefore i am excluded from my critique below haha

Professional surf, snow, and skate sites all seem to have implemented much stricter quality control standards over the videos that get released to the web... it seems many times when i lurk over to a wake site the content is generally riders that the common wakeboarder would consider a "pro", in a mediocre edit with tons, if not all, go pro clips and other generally average footage.

Is it safe to say that this is because of the general "immaturity" of the industry? i.e. the average pro wakeboarder doest have a dedicated filmer with a $5k camera due to the financial limitations that come with sponsorship in a young sport.... or is it that wakeboarders are lazy and put out half a$$ $hit because we as fans accept it?

If a half ass edit makes it up on a surf or skate site there are 100 comments thrashing the site and the edit in a matter of minutes, which in my opinion help promote higher quality edits.... which push the riders to a higher standard... which keep them from being lazy and putting out half a$$ $hit just because they stacked a clip or two.

dont get me wrong... there r dudes doing it right, like slingshot and pweiland, rderome, henshaw, co'shea among several others... but in general lots of crappy footy gets out from some of the best riders in the biz.

okay i've lit the pipe... smoke away

Last edited by Luker; 01-10-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-10-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
If you don't like it or think its crappy...quit watching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-10-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
spencer norris has been killing it on alliancewake. just about every edit he has done for alliance has been awesome. just check out alliance's vimeo page.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-11-2014, 6:40 AM Reply   
Our sport is so small and such a niche we should all embrace anyone doing it and publicizing it. Always somebody ready to be negative or tear someone else down. Chase said it right, u don't like it don't watch it. I bet u r so good us average riders disappoint u. That post really said a lot about u.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-11-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
And just for the record I probably suck worse than u but I don't care, I have fun doing it, hang out with my friends and have a blast doing something most of the world will never get to experience and doesn't even know about.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-11-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
I made a manatee vid the other day, its pretty neat.
(with all the sarcasm in the world intended.)

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2014, 3:09 PM Reply   
Transworld and Alliance are desperate for content and will take videos from anyone.

That's why I'm stoked about the wakeskate mag. They are extremely picky (which pisses some off), but when you watch a video or see a picture there you know it's going to be top notch. But then again, most of the guys running that mag come from a skateboard background and have high expectations. They are stockmg up the best shots and releasing full length videos and even doing van tours. You don't see that much in wakeboarding.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-11-2014, 6:04 PM Reply   
I remember a few short years ago, people on this site used to complain about the lack of video content avail to us. Now we are bitching about the quality? Gimme a break. Enjoy the footage you get to see. If you don't want to watch "poor" editing, then dont. Be happy that people put stuff out regularly.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-11-2014, 7:24 PM Reply   
^Agreed. Keep in mind it's probably one of the hardest sports to film. No one is happy with just shots from the boat so that means you need to bring another boat out(and someone to drive it) aside from the $50k+ boat and crew of 2(in CA anyway) already there to pull you.

You can't really just setup a tripod or follow your buddy around the skatepark all day...

Last edited by ryanw209; 01-11-2014 at 7:29 PM.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-12-2014, 12:05 PM Reply   
With all due respect mitch, alliance put out a video years ago (innuendo), along with sending out free movies in their mags, and transworld is working on a video to be released in the spring. Add in that the demos or van tours were also done in wakeboarding years ago. Don't get me wrong though--i'm excited to see fun razor and i'm sure it will be great.

And i realize that some of those wake examples are old, but i'm also trying to illustrate that you're holding something against an industry over stuff that was already done a long time ago.

In general, i don't know if any site has a hugely strong or impressive presence in wake. How much of the content is truly original, vs. Edits that make the round on any site? To keep people checking back, you're supposed to have frequent updates. On the flip side, content can suffer if it's the same thing everyone posts. If you wait for "good" content, your updates are dead for a week or more. And i know it all has a shelf life so maybe it's not worth it to invest that much in original content. For however critical people can be, i don't think anyone is killing it on the web.

Last edited by electricsnow; 01-12-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-14-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
I think a lot of it comes down to the age and experience of most wake boarders- it's usually young guys and girls who are doing cool stuff but don't have much experience with video gear, editing suites and audience expectations. By the time they get the experience/know how, they have moved on to other things - college or careers. I can think of several people who hung with famous riders / semi pro and got heaps of vids out where the content and image quality was usually good but the editing was less impressive. Take the good with the bad I guess. I could talk on this for hours.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-14-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
Just wanted to add: there are many brilliant videos out there that also got missed and didn't get the views they deserved.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-17-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Ehh I think most of the snowboarding edits are so aweful they put me right to sleep. I don't really watch anything other then wake or snow but I think the problem is the sport is newer/smaller so they substitute amateur hour and stuff which I'm ok with, most of the riders in those edits are better than me anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk