Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-24-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
The crappy ending to an almost perfect day. Looked in my rearview on the way home and my windshield was blown out. Don't know what hit it, but certainly sucks

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
thats a bummer dude. At least thats all that happened and no one got hurt!
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-25-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
ahhh man that sucks!!! sorry to hear that!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-25-2011, 6:12 PM Reply   
bummer, i had the same thing happen to my axis on the way home from its maiden voyage. fortunately for me, mine didn't blow out, just shattered, so I was able to tape it up to keep the glass all together on my trip home.

good thing is, malibu and axis use the same windshields (front 3) and its real easy to replace. took me an hour. 5 bolts/nuts hold the base in and i think 3 hold the side. The windshield was around $300, didn't come with hardware so take it from the broken window. The new window also does not come with the rubber seal/strip for the base of the windshield where it sits on the gel coat. I took it from the broken frame, was really carefull but got it all off in one piece. finally, holes for the chrome support piece did not come on the window frame. no biggie, just measure the old and drill on the new.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-25-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
Johnny,
Did you just order from the dealer?

Bear,
Hope your day was good on the water. Hope it ended better than mine.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-25-2011, 10:53 PM Reply   
Yes. I called my dealer and they ordered it, took a few days to come in. My dealer is only 15 miles away. I think if i was farther i could of had it shipped to my house
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-27-2011, 11:19 AM Reply   
thats sucks, it will take forever to get all that glass out, thats why you tint your windshield
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-28-2011, 12:26 AM Reply   
Wow, That would suck to notice that while driving.

I've never seen that before while driving. What could have done that?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-28-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
what are you towing with?? this is a common problem with aggressive truck and SUV tires.They pick up rocks and at some point they come loose and are shot back at the boat.I don't like the look of big mud flaps so I went with a set of rock tamers they are ugly but dont permanently attach to your ride .They mount to the stinger so when you remove the stinger the flaps come off as well.I have had zero rock chips on my boat from towing since i added the rock tamers.
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-28-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
I tow with a non lifted 2500 hd 4x4 diesel. I don't think it was caused by something I ran over. I don't believe I could shoot something off my tire at that angle and hit my windshield. To be completely honest, when I noticed it in my rearview, the window was still intact, just completely shattered. When I tried to get over to the side of the road, I hit a bump and it then started collapsing in. For all I know it was installed poorly and road vibration got it. But as said above, nobody was hurt and it could have been a lot worse in the scheme of things. Everything was removed from the boat and completly shop vac'd.

And this is not the reason you tint your windows. Been boating my whole life and never come across this, nor have I even heard of it. You tint for style points .