Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-09-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
I am so glad I held off buying a new X-Star this year! If all goes to plan this will be on the lift next spring.

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/mas...bydick-teaser/
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-09-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAaWePnOwew
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
whoa - did you really just say OMG?

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-09-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
yeah that just happened.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-09-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
so really cool features that i wonder if they will add to other models! would be cool if that rear seat had a filler when flipped over.

it does look like it sits really low in the water and doesnt ahve a very deep hull so wonder what its like in choppy water. Also, where's the swim deck, is it just me? Maybe they had that one slammed with weight.
Old    readyaimfire            09-09-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
It is just you, huge swim platform. One of the largest I've ever seen. Not sure I'm feeling the dipped rub rail though.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-10-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
Rider Quotes about 2012 X-Star:

"Reality is better than your dreams with this wake." - Nicola Butler

"With this innovation in boat design, MasterCraft has single handedly reinvented what's possible on a wakeboard." - Andrew Adkison

"I have never gotten punted like I did on this beast. I'm old and don't break boards much anymore but the new X-Star has claimed 2 already." - Zane Schwenk

"The X-Star will make the once impossible now possible." - Steel Lafferty

"The new X-Star is absolutely amazing - there will be more progression behind this boat than any other." - Rusty Malinoski

"The first time I got up to speed I had to turn around to see if what I was seeing in the mirror was actually real." - Travis Moye

"With its progressive wake and sophisticated interior, the new X-Star will revolutionize the sport for riders of all levels." - Josh Palma
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-10-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
^^^^^this is what gets me excited about the new X-Star!!!
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-10-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
Im going to have to start buying lottery tickets I guess, and this will be my first purchase.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
I don't even want to know what it's going to cost. I'm guessing 6 figures.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-10-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
I am with you Brandon. I bet its going to be retarded expensive. But if you do your home work, its possible to get a boat loan amortized out to a 30 year! Hahahahaha.

I love that Malibu is releasing a new hull with little buzz and the along come Mastercraft and there is instantly massive buzz.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-10-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/sur...ts-new-x-star/

MORE BUZZ!!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-10-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
Swim Platty-
Attached Images

Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-10-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   

WOW!
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
those options are bad ass!! One step for man kind and a HUGE leap for mastercraft....
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
The wide angle lens makes the platform look much bigger than it really is.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
Rider Quotes about 2012 X-Star:

"Reality is better than your dreams with this wake." - Nicola Butler

"With this innovation in boat design, MasterCraft has single handedly reinvented what's possible on a wakeboard." - Andrew Adkison

"I have never gotten punted like I did on this beast. I'm old and don't break boards much anymore but the new X-Star has claimed 2 already." - Zane Schwenk

"The X-Star will make the once impossible now possible." - Steel Lafferty

"The new X-Star is absolutely amazing - there will be more progression behind this boat than any other." - Rusty Malinoski

"The first time I got up to speed I had to turn around to see if what I was seeing in the mirror was actually real." - Travis Moye

"With its progressive wake and sophisticated interior, the new X-Star will revolutionize the sport for riders of all levels." - Josh Palma
don't they all ride for mc?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-10-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Incredible advancements in ergonomics and I have not doubt the wake will be great. That being said at first look it just does not have the same elegance as previous boats. Not ugly, just not super attractive. Rub rail = fail , IMO. Rising Dash = fail , IMO.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-10-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
I like the rub rail. adds a nice line. IMO.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
I like that MC finally followed suit with nautique and supra, offering an interior that is more functional with the rider in mind. That nautique bench with the handle is sick. I like how the seat bottom is two sided. Very nice.

I like the chillax seats in it too, not sure if axis has a patent, but I don't know why every wakeboat does not have this as atleast an option. I like the plug n play and the motor sounds rad in the "minute" video. The drivers dash is the best looking "touch screen" type dash made to date. Its symetric, simple and clean looking. LOVE mc's swivel board racks, looks like they made a great improvement on them. "dear mastercraft, please make these to fit my boat. thanks"

The interior in the boat at the surf show makes it look like a giant basketball dropped a deuce into the boat. But the blacked wrap exterior makes the outside look okay. In the "minute" video on youtube they ride behind an all white one. White really shows the lines on the outside of the boat, looks terrible to me. So much going on above the water level, the black wrap hides this well. As for the interior in white, looks much better.

I do not like the rear seat headrests, I don't get it, i guess. takes away from the sunpad, makes it difficult to climb over, and unless the seats are really low, it doesn't look like any adults head will be able to rest on it.

The chilax seats, although great to see them used, confuse me a bit. The forward facing seat back in the bow needs a bow filler cushion to make this usable... I am guessing there is one, just do not see any lip or bracket in the bow to hold one up. Also, under the chillax seats when they are flipped up is just fiberglass. I would have guessed there would have been a compartment for storage, or more ballast. A built in ice chest would be perfect here so that those in the bow AND cabin can have easy access to drinks. Maybe that space is already used for something, batteries or something else that is small.... time will answer these questions I guess.

Also the rear facing chilax seat is too high, does not fit, looks out of place, as if someone measured incorrectly. By the design of it, the back could easily have been 2" shorter, cuz when not it use, it folds upside down into a fiberglass mold and does not span any area (as in the axis).
The vinyl design does not fit with the rest of the seat backs either. it has the same design as all the seat bottoms... makes the whole thing look like and afterthought, not a tight "fit and finish" that MC is known for.

Do not like the dash that hides away. why? unless you can drop it down while underway to have a better view? highly doubtful because I am guessing that has important info on it.

With all that said, the wake is the most important thing and so far, it appears that the wake is bangin!!!

Overall, I think MC did a great job with this boat. Heres to hoping that it comes in under $100k
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-10-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
The dash in the center you can manually raise and lower if you cannot see. It states it in the write-up on here. Also, this is not the "final" product. There will still be some modifications made to it before they fully hit the market from what I have heard.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-10-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
I love the interior, I actually LOVE the orange. The flip up dash is sweet too.
Only thing I don't care for is the rubrail.

Anyone know the length of the boat without the swim platform? And with the swim platform?
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-10-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
24' without platform 26' 1" with, 102in beam 5100lbs dry, 1500lbs ballast + 1000 plug and play per mc facebook page
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-10-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
Here is the write up and pics we did on the new X-Star. I don't think I've ever seen this much progression in boats at Surf Expo before. Mastercraft, Tige and Malibu all produced brand new models and they all look great. Very exciting and we'll be bringing you more info on each of them, especially the Tige Z3 since we'll be building one for WakeWorld over the next few weeks!!

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...surf-expo.html
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-10-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
Thanks Chris.
I also think that tower is a huge improvement.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-10-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboom12 View Post
24' without platform 26' 1" with, 102in beam 5100lbs dry, 1500lbs ballast + 1000 plug and play per mc facebook page
Hence the name.. DEATH STAR!!!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-10-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
dear lord

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-10-2011, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
I like the chillax seats in it too, not sure if axis has a patent, but I don't know why every wakeboat does not have this as atleast an option.
My 2007 Supra has the same style "chillax" seats.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-11-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
"5100lbs dry, 1500lbs ballast + 1000 plug and play"

7600lbs before any person or gear gets in the boat. Props to MC for trying a new design but i think most boats are gonna throw a massive wake when it weighs this much. Just curious how clean the wake is.... looks a little washed out in the videos, especially on the landing sides.

Also curious to hear what some non MC riders are gonna say about it.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-11-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by calexan View Post
"5100lbs dry, 1500lbs ballast + 1000 plug and play"

7600lbs before any person or gear gets in the boat. Props to MC for trying a new design but i think most boats are gonna throw a massive wake when it weighs this much. Just curious how clean the wake is.... looks a little washed out in the videos, especially on the landing sides.

Also curious to hear what some non MC riders are gonna say about it.
Also forgot the mention the huge gas tank making it weight atleast 8000 lbs before anything enters the boat.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-11-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
The x45 weighs 4950 and has a 90 gallon tank, so i think its pretty on par with boats of similar size. Im sure that big block aint light. And as far as the ballast goes at least they are finally putting some weight in it so u dont need fat sacs all over the floor of you 100k + boat.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-11-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
It's nice that they increased the factory ballast but in the videos I've seen, there were certainly fat sacs stacked on the floor.

I'm not trying to talk crap on the boat because, personally I think it looks awesome. The head rest bumps are the only thing that I think look retarded. It has strange lines for sure but I like that Mastercraft actually did a full re-design instead of just patching some lame changes. I think as more people ride the new boat and see how great the wake is, the haters will come over to the dark side. Personally I will never own this boat, simply too expensive, I will however look forward to taking sets behind what looks to be one hell of a wake. All the BS aside, the wake looks like a lot of fun.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
I'm impressed by a lot of what MC has done and kudos to them for pushing things.

However, I distinctly recall the talk of the wake among the pros back when the first picklefork XStar came out. They were saying similar things. Supposedly Parks compared it to hitting double ups because it was so big. I'm not saying it won't be big or bigger than the current X Star and i'm sure I'd love to ride behind it.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-11-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
man i cant wait for the price to be announced. i wonder how many axis' and moombas you could buy? lol 3?
i assume were talking 6 figures here?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-11-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
^^^ Just for fun I asked my dealer how much... he said $125K.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-11-2011, 9:07 PM Reply   
There has been the $104-114k price tag for malibus new 22 footer thrown around... that makes $125k for the new xstar a better deal. crazy. I could basically buy my boat new 3 times.. almost.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2011, 9:35 PM Reply   
As I mentioned in the other thread, purchase price is only one issue, the gas this thing will chug down with bankrupt any riders who want to weight it up pro style and ride 4-5 times per week. I had a friend who had a 05 X-star with PWT ballast installed, he ended up riding the tiny factory only wake most of the time because he ran out of friends able to pay the piper to keep the boat running when weighted up. Gas is pretty expensive here tho...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-11-2011, 10:04 PM Reply   
Dayum! I just heard a $150K Rumor.
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-11-2011, 10:11 PM Reply   
Hi Andy,

ok let me tell you i got to drive this boat on several occasions whilst in the testing stage, yep it has the wow factor, the wake is huge, the boat handles so well for a big boat, double up are so easy to drive. The 7.4lt engine pulls this beast on the plain in no time. I know some people are going on about fuel economy, but if you can afford this boat then fuel isn't an issue for you. The wake on this boat is going to change the game for everybody.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2011, 10:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Dad View Post
...., but if you can afford this boat then fuel isn't an issue for you. The wake on this boat is going to change the game for everybody.
Err no, it will only change the game for those that can afford it
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2011, 5:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
I'm impressed by a lot of what MC has done and kudos to them for pushing things.

However, I distinctly recall the talk of the wake among the pros back when the first picklefork XStar came out. They were saying similar things. Supposedly Parks compared it to hitting double ups because it was so big. I'm not saying it won't be big or bigger than the current X Star and i'm sure I'd love to ride behind it.
The boat was just released, who would have been able to ride an unreleased boat other than MC's riders? Also, back before the soon to be retired X-Star was released, what was the next best wake machine?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-12-2011, 5:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
The boat was just released, who would have been able to ride an unreleased boat other than MC's riders? Also, back before the soon to be retired X-Star was released, what was the next best wake machine?
IMO, the first generation XStar. Heck, if you're just talking about the wake, then I may even put it in front of the 03-11 XStar...I just like the shape of it better.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-12-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Err no, it will only change the game for those that can afford it
LoL. Exactly. That's what I keep thinking with all this marketing nonsense they keep saying about pushing the sport and changing everything etc. This is the most hyped, yet least relevant boat launch ever. 99% of the wakeboarding population won't be able to afford one.

I'm mildly amused as a neutral observer by this boat launch, but I'm definitely not excited. I don't really have an opinion about the boat because it's completely irrelevant to me. I'm far more excited about what MB Sports is doing with their boats. That's actually meaningful to me and a lot more wakeboarders than the new XStar.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-12-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
That must be really frustrating to not allow yourself to have an opinion on something that is "completely irrelevant to you." I can't afford an X-Star either, but I sure do enjoy looking at what they have to offer and giving my opinion on what features I like and don't like. I know that every cool feature invented by one boat company is a potential new feature for all boat companies and that's the definition of pushing the industry.

Epic dropped a see-through section on the side of their hull with LED lights behind it that light up their logo. That's not something that will ever be useful to me, but I can still appreciate how clever and inventive it is and how it will definitely appeal to a large number of people out there. Props to Epic, MasterCraft and all the other boat companies as they try to one up each other and, in the process, improve the features and quality of all boats in the industry.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
well put!
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
I'm with Dave. Just because i cant afford it doesn't mean I wouldn't love to ride behind it. All the new ideas are things that keep companies pushing each other.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-12-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
IMO, the first generation XStar. Heck, if you're just talking about the wake, then I may even put it in front of the 03-11 XStar...I just like the shape of it better.
I am with you here Jay, that's why I still have the old Girl!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
Holy wakeboarding Batman, somebody just stole our boat!
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-12-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
Maybe that's why I'm so uninterested in this new boat. In addition to it being way out of my price range. I don't give two hoots about any of the new features. There's not a single one that would improve another brand's boats in my opinion. The only thing about this boat that I find any better than any other boat out there is that it supposedly has the best wake.

Pop up dash, touch screens, etc. - No thanks
Power tower - I'd rather save some money and have a manual one, not really a new feature anyway
Headrests - No thanks
Convertible Rear-facing Seats - Already been done by several other brands, not a new feature

I can't think of anything about this boat that makes me think, "Oh, MB, CC, Bu, Moomba, Tige, Supra, etc. should add that feature to their boats!"

So what's really new and innovative about this boat that's going to push the industry?
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it's not new or innovative.

There are 3 touch screen you can customize to whatever you want - nobody has that, so new and innovative.

Tthe two front seats swing up and lift towards making it easier to get to the parts of the boat you actually store stuff in - nobody has that, so new and innovative.

The seat in the walk way can face the rear or front - nobody has that, so new and innovative.

The flip around seat isn't really a new idea, but atleast MC put in cup holders, seems like it's not that big of deal but it drives me nuts that natiques don't have cup holders back there. And this design seems a lot more simple then juggling the seat around in a natique. So not new but innovative.

The windshield is curved to offer a canopy effect under it - new and innovative.

7.4L anybody else putting those in?

The clips on the tower are new and improved.

So how do they push the sport, by pushing boat innovation. Just because they don't build a boat you can afford doesn't mean they aren't pushing they sport. Their innovations will trickle down into price point boats.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-12-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowslider76 View Post
Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it's not new or innovative.
I never said any features weren't new because I didn't want them. That's just silly. I called out some features that are being touted as new because they're new for MC, but they're not new to the industry.

It's true that innovations are innovations regardless of whether I want them or not, and I never said otherwise. My point is that there's nothing for me to get excited about. Why would I be excited about expensive, pricey innovations I don't want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowslider76 View Post
Their innovations will trickle down into price point boats.
I sure hope not, because then the price point boats will be unnecessarily expensive too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
I wouldn't be surprised if the wake is way better on the new X. The only thing stopping the previous Xstar from having an even bigger wake was motor! If you ever had a chance to ride behind a buried 8.1 liter Xstar before they all blew up and were discontinued (We blew up 3 of them in 2 years), then you know what I mean. More weight, more motor, bigger wake. It's pretty simple. But if you plan on maxing out this boat, I'd expect to burn some serious gas.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-12-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post

I sure hope not, because then the price point boats will be unnecessarily expensive too.
so here is my $0.02 on this. Yes this new MC is going to be stupid expensive. But like any company selling anything you need a flagship. The X-Star is MC's flagship. Its no different than a flagship in a car brand, home appliances, or even a menu item at a restaurant. Now granted not everyone can afford the flagship but it brings people into the brand. I work for Acura, our Flagship is the Acura ZDX it tops out at about $60K. Its controversial, it's expense, but what it does it makes people walk in the door to see what else Acura makes. Does Acura sell many? No, about 4500 per year. But it gets people talking so that our more cost effective vehicles get noticed and sell. We call it a magnet vehicle or a halo. Whether you like it or not that is what the X-Star is. When the X-Star came out it started out as a $40K boat, now the Same X-1 is around $49K, really that is not that bad for the amount of new technology, material, etc, being used in the boat.

I guess what I am getting at is this boat is not to expensive, it is exactly what it should be. The latest greatest thing on the market, like it or not we pay for the latest and greatest.

All this being said. I would still like someone to make a true value oriented wakeboat. I would buy one in a heartbeat. My boat does one thing, it pulls wakeboarders. I don’t need plush interiors, crazy racks, and towers. I would take it to the extreme here, I dont need carpet, high tech gauges, 20 speaker stereo's, or perfect pass (I believe in perfect wrist), hell I dont even need Speedo's, I use the RPM's and the look of the wake anyway to judge speed. I need a tub that I can put fat sacs in, is easy to clean, has a big a$$ motor to get it out of the water, and is made more as a utility vehicle than a plush boat. Like the base Honda Accord of the wakeboat market, just meat and potatoes. If I want to just chill on the boat I use the pontoon. I doubt this will ever be marketed. I heard a guy joking at the MN boat show who worked for SeaRay. He said, "put a tower on it and we can charge 15 grand more." unfortunately that is the truth.

All in all I give big props to Mastercraft for pushing the limits!
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-12-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
According to a Facebook post

MasterCraft Boat Company Stock ballast filled to 50% and one 750lb sack in the middle of the boat. Stock ballast is 1600lbs. So in total, 1550lbs.
Friday at 2:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
It's nice that they increased the factory ballast but in the videos I've seen, there were certainly fat sacs stacked on the floor.

I'm not trying to talk crap on the boat because, personally I think it looks awesome. The head rest bumps are the only thing that I think look retarded. It has strange lines for sure but I like that Mastercraft actually did a full re-design instead of just patching some lame changes. I think as more people ride the new boat and see how great the wake is, the haters will come over to the dark side. Personally I will never own this boat, simply too expensive, I will however look forward to taking sets behind what looks to be one hell of a wake. All the BS aside, the wake looks like a lot of fun.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-12-2011, 10:02 PM Reply   
The only thing i hear poeple dogging really is the price...WHen lambos come with stuff you cant affored, yea, you dont care about em but hey, thats why Lambos arent for everyone....buuuuttt, just because someone cant afford this lambo of water doesnt mean you have to dog it! What are they pushing? well everything, just like they have been doing since the 03 xstar came out (well now that i think of it, the 97 xstar) and everyone has been trying to compete with even still today! Yea, i will never have this boat (assuming im not winning the lottery) but its insane looking in, and even 80 feet behind...I give mad props

I just dont know where this boat will be in 10 more years!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2011, 10:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberlandky View Post
According to a Facebook post
MasterCraft Boat Company Stock ballast filled to 50% and one 750lb sack in the middle of the boat. Stock ballast is 1600lbs. So in total, 1550lbs.
Friday at 2:15pm
Are you saying that how the boat is weighted when the Rusty and friends are riding it in the video? If so then WOW, this boat is a game changer to produce that wake with that amount of ballast.

It makes no sense to hand fill a sac when the factory ballast is only 1/2 full so I have my doubts.....
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2011, 11:19 PM Reply   
to respond to snowlider:

1. 3 touch screens... imo not innovative. Everyone already has them, Bu has 2 screens, not sure about how many CC or SC have. Adding an additional "something" is not really innovative. the fact that one screen can be lowered down when driving is innovative though.

2. the 2 bow seats that lift up and out of the way on shocks is not new. MC has that in their other boat for years.

3. the seats in the walkway that can flip up or lay flat? Axis has this for 3 years now. I am told Supra had this before Axis. Either way, not new, not innovative.

4. 7.4L ??? not sure the exact displacement, but MC, BU and EPIC for sure have been using big blocks. not new, not innovative, just necessity on a 24' boat.

I do like how they have put a bunch of the best ideas and better designs from their previous boats and from other manufacturers too, AND if it is true about only 1600 lbs of ballast in the rusty video, then WOW! this boat will be a game changer for the pros.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmarksthespot View Post
The only thing i hear poeple dogging really is the price... just because someone cant afford this lambo of water doesnt mean you have to dog it!
To be perfectly clear...I'm not "dogging" the boat or the price. I don't have a problem with either one. I don't have to buy one, and I won't.

What I am critical of is the exaggerated marketing hype that says this boat somehow improves the lives of all wakeboarders everywhere, and that we should all be super excited about it. I dispute the claims that this boat is pushing or revolutionizing the whole industry.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
First I never meant this stuff was new industry firsts some of it's just new to MC.

1. I didn't say the screens where new idea, the ability to customize them to the settings you want to see is new. I think it would be awesome to have my speed/ rpm on one, stereo on another and depth and water temp on another.

2.I'm 100% sure that the seats in no other Xstars flip toward the front, they don't in mine. Again not that big of a deal, but things in my boat always seem to shift under the observers seat and get wedged between by sub box and the pwt bow bag and I can never get to them.

3.Yep Supra had that seat first, it's new to MC and it's a lot better then the jump seat I have now.

4. The 7.4 is totally new, it's either 522 or 540 HP (I've read it different it two different postings so I'm not sure), Epic has a 8.2L that 425HP and BU has a 555HP but it's supercharged. So ya the use of big blocks isn't new but this 7.4L is a totally new high performance engine.

My point being innovations drive the market, it wasn't that long ago that towers and built in ballast where over priced options. The whole argument of I can't afford it so this sucks and that sucks it flawed to me. I can't afford a Ferrari or a Lear Jet but I can appreciate the engineering behind them, doesn't make me hate um because the class of owners is somewhere I'll never be in life. Do I like everything about this boat, nope, I think the styling is a little weird but it will grow on me. And I'm a little skeptical that they are running only 1550lbs as claimed.

The boat weights 5100 lbs + 1550 ballast + approx 450 in gas if the tank is full + maybe 1000 people and other gear puts um at about 8100 total, I'm guessing give or take 500 lbs on that.

I run my star around 8500 total, ballast, gas, people, gear and I know guys like Harley and Rusty run a ton or more ballast then I do. I just don't believe some of the claims that the wake is a foot higher or it's like hitting a double up every time. I'm not claiming to be an expert on water dynamics or weight displacement but I don't understand how adding 20" in length and 2" in beam can make the wake that much bigger, I could see it changing the shape and width but it still seems to me you are displacing the same amount of water for the height. Feel free to school me on this.

I can't afford a house on a lake in a state of 10,000 lakes and have to trailer 3 or 4 times a week. What forum should I complain on about the housing market and property taxes being to expensive to grow the sport? Ha ha.

MC has never built boats for skiers or boarders in their mid twenties, why would they? 99% of people in their mid twenties can't afford luxury items it's just a fact of life. Regardless if a boat costs $30k, $40k, $50k, $100k or $150k it's out of reach for most people just getting out of school and starting out in life. It really wouldn't make any marketing sense for them to hit that market, they need to go after people with established careers and some expendable income and that's what they do. Does a $100k + plus boat shrink that market, you bet, does a tricked out $100k+ get people in the the door to buy a sub $100k boat, you bet. Seems like solid business strategy to me.

I find is super ironic that when the first pickle fork came out people called the the bat mobile and hated it up and down, now it's stood the test of time and is an icon.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
It's Marketing of course it's over hyped, did you believe everything Billy Mays told you?
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-13-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
I dispute the claims that this boat is pushing or revolutionizing the whole industry.
First let me say that this is not meant as an attack on Austin personally, it is more to the close-mindedness that is rampant anywhere this new boat is posted by many people.

The way I see it, if this boat really is able to produce a substantially larger wake, then most wake boat mfgs will step up their game to try to compete with that. This will bring new hull designs, additional engine choices, possibly new ballast setups/methods. That pushes the industry.

Zane said it has been a while since he broke a board, but had broken two behind the new Star. I feel this will lead to board designs that are stronger, maybe with new technology, processes, materials, ,binding attachment, etc... That pushes the industry.

With the larger wakes and stronger equipment, come new tricks, and/or more variations of existing tricks. Whether or not you can do these tricks (or even want to) has no bearing. New tricks push the sport / industry.

I'm sure there are many other examples that are not to hard to see if people will keep an open mind about it and not be so negative. Not sure why anyone is critical over "hype" anyway. The unveiling is supposed to create "hype", to get you to notice it, and decide if this is a boat that would fit your needs (obviously it won't for everyone, myself included). If it does, then go test drive it, if it doesn't, then there are plenty of other options out there.

Having said all that, I think this boat is bad@$$, but it is not a boat for me. Too big and too expensive FOR ME, but I am stoked to see what this boat does bring to the sport / industry. This is of course just one persons opinion, and I look forward to hearing others opinions, not just hating on something new because they don't like it.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-13-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
To be perfectly clear...I'm not "dogging" the boat or the price. I don't have a problem with either one. I don't have to buy one, and I won't.

What I am critical of is the exaggerated marketing hype that says this boat somehow improves the lives of all wakeboarders everywhere, and that we should all be super excited about it. I dispute the claims that this boat is pushing or revolutionizing the whole industry.
Marketing hype? What do you expect them to do? "New boats coming out, dont' check it out"..

God people are so fricking stupid on this forum I can hardly handle it.. It's a flagship WAKE boat.. We are WAKE boarders.. I can't afford ANY of the top of the line rigs - should I hate on them? No, that's stupid. I should convince my friend to buy one..

The boat is dope. Tons of innovations.. First all - all new hull. You ever seen ANYTHING like it's rear side profile before? There are like 37,000 chines in the hull - obviously designed for a mackin wake (and make designed for a mackin wake with a more efficient boat).. That hull = innovation.. It's 24' - not 22'.. That's new.. Should they fail to mention that? That rear seat is like nothing on the market.. Same result of rear facing seats? Sure.. But it flips over in .02 seconds.. It takes time, moving people, etc in a Natique/Axis to change the seating around.. That's like saying we should have just stuck with the initial wakeboard tower - dont innovate the tower because it "already works".. We'd all have the boxy tower of the 1997 X Star if they didnt innovate towers..

Flip dash? That's not innovative? Of course it is.. No one has that.. You don't think you'd like that? What if you leave your boat on a lift all year round - wouldn't it be nice to save additional wear and tear on it by flipping it down? And what is with everyones big freak out about the monitors and computer systems? Everyone of us is posting from a computer or phone of some sort.. Why does that not belong in a boat? Everyone thinks it must be ULTRA expensive to install, repair, own, etc? Really? Cause I can buy a 4g smart phone that has a 1 gig processer and do almost EVERYTHING i want it to do for $100.. How much are macked out analog gauges? Probably more than $100 - even at cost.. Every car these days has a screen in it, everyone has a laptop, an ipad, a smart phone. The tecnology is all the same. The cost of having screens and computers in boats right now isn't because of the cost of the product - it's the "must have" cost..

Everyone is just being so ridiculous. If you can't afford it - who cares. Go buy an Axis or an MB. not one person will hate on you for it.. If you have $100k - buy a new X Star.. Again, who cares.. Get out and ride.. Buy whatever boat you are comfortable affording.. This whole internet thing gets so ridiculous cause people just sit and bitch and nag and complain and armchair quarterback everything that shows up.. There is a thread about the new Supra, the new Natique an the new X Star in the boating forum and it is 100% chalk full of haters who think its' too expensive, too blingy, too narrow, too wide, too this, too that.. Then find the boat that fits you, buy it and quit complaining about everything else..

Internet anonymity is stupid. If you met the main design team of the the X Star and they spent 30 minutes walking you through the boat - talking about the thought, engineering, features, etc - there is NO way in hell that you guys would sit and nit pick them back with the "it's too expensive Bro" and "it's too blingy Bro".. So what - it's not for you. Pick another boat.. But quit frickin complaining about EVERY boat that hits the market cause it doesn't meet your needs.

And yes - I know the first cock garage who responds is going to say "this is a discussion forum - we are discusssing boats"... Thanks Captain Obvious.. This rant isn't about the discussion we have here - it's about a bunch of whiney know it alls who complain about everything.. Show some love even if it isn't your style or budget.. Quit hating just to hate.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-13-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
Word.^^^^^
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-13-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
And if you watched the clip of those guys getting booted LIKE a double up on non-double ups - you cant tell me that wake aint macking. Even if they have 7klbs in ballast in there (which they dont) - the pop in that 1 min clip is absolutely bananas..

Stop hating. Start congratulating.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
Double word^^^^^
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-13-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
heres the thing, is there always boats with potentially better wakes? Yes. Does that mean that people are going to have the skill level to take advantage of that? No. At some point spending another 50k on a boat just for a lil better wake is insane. Instead of buying this new boat to use 1-2 times a week for 5 months a year, it being a HUGE depreciating asset, Im buying a second home in South Lake Tahoe for the same price, that will increase in value and be used and enjoyed more often. Ill stick to my 08 VLX
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Imagine the fuel you can burn with a big block and a 24' boat. It'll be insanely expensive just to get a pull. IMO, this is the wrong direction for pure wakeboats to go. This boat is built for two people: pro riders that get them for free and can drop serious coin on gas and the ultra-elite wake market. Probably meaning the super wealthy buying boats for their 10 year old kids to tube behind. Sorry, but I'm with Jay and Andy.... the original Star was dope. The Malibu VLX and VTX are much more "wake" minded boats. Boats that riders can afford and can afford to keep on the water with gas in the tank.

Anywho... Our storage is only 25' long and I refuse to fold a swim step or trailer tongue to get a boat in, so it looks like MC just sized us out of the market. Damn, that's a big boat. I can only imagine what you do with a 24' boat. Our 23' LSV is massive inside. Maybe they made it so big so you could time share it with multiple families at the same time. ???

And yes.... All the riders quoted above ride for MC. Of course the boat is perfect in their eyes.... For better or worse, that's what these guys/gals get paid to say.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-13-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
^^^Good points, Evan. Though, don't you get compensated to promote Bu? Guess you can't believe anything you read on the Interweb anymore...ha ha. I thought some of the wake shots looked fake/set up...in that the wake was curly, almost like they were going slow to make it look extra booty.
Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-13-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
IMO this might be the ugliest boat I've ever seen but I'm sure it's still pretty awesome.

I WANT TO SEE MORE PICS AND VIDS!!!!!

the platform looks pretty sweet with that roll off back.

I did see in one of the vids above a bag in the walk through. It is always nice not having those out in the cabin. I wonder how much weight fits under the walk through seat.

The flip around seat in the rear is cool. The nautiques and supra I've been on with these are nice.

I wonder what the performance is like. Can you pull a tight double up? how much room do you need?

What the draft? easy to launch?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-13-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Sorry, but I'm with Jay and Andy.... the original Star was dope.
I know you got the Malibu thing going, but if you're a fan of the old school XStar shape, you should definitely try to get a set behind a dumped 230. It's nearly the exact same shape, just about a lot taller and meatier...has the same shape/firmness though. It's even pretty much the exact same width from wake to wake.
Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-13-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
IMO, this is the wrong direction for pure wakeboats to go. This boat is built for two people: pro riders that get them for free and can drop serious coin on gas and the ultra-elite wake market. Probably meaning the super wealthy buying boats for their 10 year old kids to tube behind.
Totally. If it's really going to be around $150K, i'd way rather buy a new Axis, a kickass new truck AND a new car. Or even a house for that matter.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-13-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv...yer_detailpage
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Imagine the fuel you can burn with a big block and a 24' boat. It'll be insanely expensive just to get a pull. IMO, this is the wrong direction for pure wakeboats to go. This boat is built for two people: pro riders that get them for free and can drop serious coin on gas and the ultra-elite wake market. Probably meaning the super wealthy buying boats for their 10 year old kids to tube behind. Sorry, but I'm with Jay and Andy.... the original Star was dope. The Malibu VLX and VTX are much more "wake" minded boats. Boats that riders can afford and can afford to keep on the water with gas in the tank.

Anywho... Our storage is only 25' long and I refuse to fold a swim step or trailer tongue to get a boat in, so it looks like MC just sized us out of the market. Damn, that's a big boat. I can only imagine what you do with a 24' boat. Our 23' LSV is massive inside. Maybe they made it so big so you could time share it with multiple families at the same time. ???

And yes.... All the riders quoted above ride for MC. Of course the boat is perfect in their eyes.... For better or worse, that's what these guys/gals get paid to say.
Big comfy boat vs smaller more 'serious' wake boat has always been an argument with wakeboarders. I will say that the price of this boat and likely cost of operation makes me love my PIF '02 SANTE all the more! Now you can see which side of the above argument I come down on. Not hating - I know people love their X-Stars. But for me, the smaller boat is cheaper to tow, cheaper to run and comfortable for me and my small crew of 'core' early morning riders who are out to get a pull and move on with their day. If I was more of a party cove kind of guy, I might be more attracted to a larger and more plush ride, but I just don't roll that way.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
I will say this ... I have generally been an anti-MC guy ... loved my CC for years. Assuming that SANTE230 and this X-star are similar in price - this is th first time I would lean to the side of MC.

Tons of features I think are next to worthless and add to the price tag....while the seating is great to me as well as how deep the hull looks - sitting in the boat looks to have the feel of actually BEING IN the boat... our old 210 is shallow and I don't feel down in the boat.

I like the styling (not the tower)... just looks big, mean, and aggressive.

I would never buy one, because I just couldn't afford one.... but if I had my pick of any new wakeboard at no cost, this would be it now.... passing SANTE230/Epic/ Tomcats
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
The Lambo analogy is probably the most solid. Yes they're cool. Probably the pinacle of automotive sporting technology, but most of the old guys that have the coin to buy one either do it for status or because they just want one. It's rare for one of those vehicles to be driven in the fashion for which they were designed. If you want a performace car that people can really afford leave it to companies like Mitsubishi (with the Evo) or Subaru (with the STI).

I do find it interesting that boat prices are far outpacing inflation. $150k for a Star is about double what a '06 Star cost. Even if it's "only" $120k it's a lot of money. Enough to price a lot of buyers out of the market, and I'm talking high end buyers. What is the target demographic? I live in a very affluent area and I have a hard time believing we'll see too many of these boats at that price. Let's keep it real. Why not aim at $80k for a high end boat?

Time will tell.... I'm sure it's a badass boat. I loved our X-stars. Between all the CIE guys we've had 6 Master Crafts since '05. We loved them all. I'm just not sure I could justify the cost of the new one.

I guess there is an upside: We've been trying to sell our '08 X-star all year, I'm sure if the new star price rumors are true, then it's going to make our boat look like an amazing deal at $55k.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-13-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
Here's a pretty slick view of the interior - sick boat for sure...
http://tourwrist.com/tours/21599
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-13-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
Whats the deal with the walk through window, looks like it curves the wrong way? The interior looks incredible.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-13-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
cant wait to see one in person rollin dumped at the delt. Sick!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-13-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
i dont think any of us actually know what one of these will sell for... its all speculation at this point. With that being said... I think its hideous. AND my opinion actually MATTERS cause I TAKE home a quarter million a year. So suck it.

The car comparisons I keep hearing doesnt make sense to me... any of the cars mentioned (most of which I already own) when I first saw them, I said to myself "damn that looks awesome", when i look at this boat.... that thought doesnt come to mind.

In conclusions... this boat sucks and I'm a baller
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-13-2011, 5:35 PM Reply   
Bryce, are you serious? If not... very funny. If you are serious, say hi to your brother Lon for me!