Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-30-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
Well kinda unexpectedly life is about to move me from Florida to Ohio.
Any one know the area?
How long is the season?
Are there any good lakes in the area to Ski on. How bout lakes to live on?
Any other general advice for someone that considers 60 degrees to cool to go out side?

Thanks
Old     (newman)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-30-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
I'm near Cincinnati, about two hours south and west of Columbus. I think we get about the same weather.. we generally get our first consecutive 70+ degree days in April, and I've always gotten at least three or four days of riding in October. I think Caesar creek is within an hour of the south side of Columbus, and it's not too bad during the week. We're far enough west in the time zone that sunset is in the 8's or 9's during the summer, so it's easy to get out after work. Caesar's a state park, though, so no private property on the water. If you're an 80-degree water kind of guy, your season will probably be late May-early Sept.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       11-30-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
Great area of Ohio. Young, active scene. Great hot spots.
Best college football team in all the land and the Buckeyes basketball program is on the rise too!
Great riding scene. Season is as long as you can stand (get a drysuit), but really starts April-ish to Oct/Nov.
There are many nice places to live, but I only know the places friends live. Dublin is pretty sought after tho.
The only place further north (than Cincinnati) I'd move is to Columbus.
I'll see if I can get someone from C-bus to chime in.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
UF, I'm pretty regular on WW online, mostly on the wakesurfing page. There are good wakeboarding spots in Columbus. If you want to live on the water within the city and suburbs, it’s possible but you’ll need pretty deep pockets. Water front homes on the Scioto river are probably well over $1M.

I’m a member of the Scioto Boat Club, see the web link. http://sbc.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?log_id=3580475
Forgive the web page we’re looking in to moving to a new web system, the one above is the demo we’re trying. The regular link is here: http://www.sciotoboatclub.com/

I ran a wakeboarding and wakesurfing competition from the boat club last year. We have a pretty good group of wakeboarders, some are nationally rated.

If you don’t have deep pockets, the boat club is the best way to live in the city and all most have water front property. Look me up when you get settled in, I’d be happy to show you around the club, my email is in my profile.

There is a private lake about 30 to 40 minutes west of Columbus, Lake Choctaw. I don’t know much about the school system but its water front and the prices are more within reach. There’s another private lake north and east of Columbus, Apple Valley. Prices at Apple valley seem kind of high and it’s further from Columbus than Choctaw.

There are other lakes, some are horse power limited, other are very busy. The Miami River, Muskingum River, Maumee River, and Ohio River are all a fair drive from Columbus but offer very good wakeboard spots.

My season runs from April to October. I've been doing that with only a shorty, but it's a little crazy in the early spring and later fall. Two years ago we did 40 F water temps and sub 50 F air temps for the first ride of the season. I'm looking in to buying a dry suit.

Advice for someone used to 60 F temperatures: Buy a wet/dry suit and winterize.

Welcome to Columbus and Go Bucks!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Alum Creek and Caesars creek are two of the busiest lakes in the state, awful for wakeboarding on weekends. Indian Lake and Grand Lake St. Mary’s, and Buckeye Lake are also big, busy, shallow, and terrible. Hover Reservoir is a nice lake, right by Columbus but its house power limited.

East Fork by Cincinnati isn’t much better. If you head away from the cities you can find some good spots, I like Lake Dillon and Paint Creek for example.

I wakeboard on Griggs three days a week, starting off from the boat club. O’Shaugnessy Reservoir is up stream of Griggs, near Dublin (a Columbus burb) and is very good.
Old     (97sunsetter)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-30-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
I agree with most of these guys. Im from Cincinnati and most of the lakes are INSANE on the weekends, but since the sun sets so late in the summer its not a problem at all to show up at 5 and be going till 8:30 or 9 on glass.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
More here on cold weather riding. I went out to Bryon Greene's, Halloween Wash-out on Lake Morse in Indiana this year. It was darn cold and very windy.

More about the Wash-out here:
http://www.wakeboardmidwest.com/DesktopModules/ShowFeature.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1&FeatureID=37

So cold even wearing a wet suit
Upload
We almost lost him, walk away from the light, walk away from the light.
Upload
Here's another way to deal with the cold
Upload
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-30-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
I live in indy but travel out to Columbus all the time. I know a few people that have a boat and ride. Plus I can help you out with the bars and great places to eat and go to. Its almost like my second home.
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-30-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
Man lots of response in only a few hours, that is why I love this place.

I guess it is time to get on some Realestate sites and look at houses. If I cant find any thing on the water some of you guys mentioned boat clubs, do they have boat storage facilities or are they more social orgs.?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
The Scioto Boat Club does have limited, key word limited on site open air storage. There's also dock space that's more available but only during the summer. It takes about a month to join the boat club; you don't get full access until you help on work parties and become a full member.

I used to store my boat at Alum Creek RV& Marine, they have a waiting list. There's another place in Westerville near SR 3, I forget the name of the place though. The best deal on winter storage is the Franklin county fairgrounds - NOT to be confused with the sate fairgrounds. Something like $10 per foot, under a roof all winter long storage.

Every house I looked at in Columbus had 18x18 to 20x20 garages. I was specifically looking for a garage for the boat and didn’t find one in my price range. I’ve looked high and low for indoor storage for my boat, a pretty scarce commodity.
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-01-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
Everyone
As the our lakes solidify! We also can use these lakes for DN60 class Iceboating and if we get snow there Is Snow Kiteboarding to try.
We wakeboard In the Lorain area on Lake Erie "2hrs. North of Columbus" and our homebase for Iceboating Is Sandusky Bay but we travel anywhere the ice Is.
Everyone Is welcome to come out and give these sports a try to help make It thru the winter!
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-01-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Iceboating is a blast. I grew up in Cleveland many years ago. We had a DN and iceboated in Sandusky Bay and Erie, PA (Presque Isle, if memory serves). Iceboating is one of the most fun things I've done in my life -- and I'm talking this was 35+ years ago.

If you have the opportunity, give it a try.
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Ok, here is one for yall, a bit off topic, but I spent a bit of time in NC and have a kayak in my garag that is collecting dust. Are there any white water rivers around or withing daytrip driving distance?
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-01-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
There are lots of whitewater rivers in SW Pennsylvania and WVa nearby -- the New, the Gauley, and the Youghiogheny. I don't know about closer to Columbus.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-01-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
www.shawneelake.org

We are an hour from Columbus.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-02-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
gatorhead, did you lose a bet? Columbus is not a bad place to get dumped of to in the state of ohio for wakeboarding. Just listen to Ed, heck, if you signed up now, and did the work party in spring(while its cold)you would be all set by the time the nice weather rolled around.
Scott, i was going to make the ice boat last year but just didn't have the time, with that 65degree weather we had 2 days ago, i'm not sure if the lake is going to freeze this year, but being in NorOh, i can go up to boyne mountain,MI or bristol mountain, NY and get some pretty good snowboarding in fo the weekend
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-02-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
Jo, do you know Scott, I think he's pretty close to you. You guys should get together for winter and summer sports.

I started making a surf board see the wake surfing forum "Recycle This". Did you ever make one, I recall that you said your student made one but kept it.
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
Sorry to float such an old thread but Ed I just sent you an email to your yahoo account in your profile.

I am about to put an offer in on a house that is a stones throw from Alum. And will be moving up by the end of Feb.

Does Alum have decent water during the week, or is Griggs a much better place for after work runs?
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Oh I guess I should put in here some where some comment about 41-14...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-11-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
Welcome to Ohio. I'm going to tie my non-stretch rope to my tower, tie a noose, and jump off the swim deck, the Buckeyes didn't even show up.

You've got email, if you live close to Alum Creek you can get in some OK wakeboarding on weekdays if you get there early, some days will be better than others. Unfortunately the best part of the lake is a thoroughfare for boats zipping back and forth and back and forth to the no-wake zone in the northern basin.

I live near the Polaris area; Griggs and Alum Creek are each about 25 minutes away. I prefer to go to Griggs over Alum Creek every time. Alum Creek is totally worthless on weekends. Last year I still had to take my daughter and her friends to Alum Creek because they wanted to swim at the beach. I'm working on getting her friends interested in wakeboarding so I won't have to go back. She has a boy friend now, good thing for him that he got up on a wake board on his first outing or he'd be history:-). The beach at Alum Creek is one of the better ones in the state, so if you have young ones, they'll have a good time at Alum Creek. The north basin is a hangout and boat swim area.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-12-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Did anyone catch the change in Script Ohio at half time?
Upload